• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cognitive Functions - I don't get it.

IXTJ

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Please explain what the difference is between, for example:

Se or Fe or Ti, with just putting the two letters together and looking at the patterns? For example what do all ESxx, ExFx, and IxTx have in common?

I know with Keirsey, for example, he lumps xSxP, xSxJ, xNTx and xNJx's all together (and rightfully so), but you can see the similarities with all xxFJ's or xxTJ's or xNxP's, etc, and thereby, IxFx's and ExTx's and IxTx's....

I don't get these Jung Functions. What do they add that isn't already considered?

I read in another thread the difference between Se, and Si. It sounded exactly like the difference you would see in all ESxx with ISxx would act....?
Inward Sensing or Outward sensing?

Look forward to any comments.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Please explain what the difference is between, for example:

Se or Fe or Ti, with just putting the two letters together and looking at the patterns? For example what do all ESxx, ExFx, and IxTx have in common?

I know with Keirsey, for example, he lumps xSxP, xSxJ, xNTx and xNJx's all together (and rightfully so), but you can see the similarities with all xxFJ's or xxTJ's or xNxP's, etc, and thereby, IxFx's and ExTx's and IxTx's....

I don't get these Jung Functions. What do they add that isn't already considered?

I read in another thread the difference between Se, and Si. It sounded exactly like the difference you would see in all ESxx with ISxx would act....?
Inward Sensing or Outward sensing?

Look forward to any comments.
Lol. This would be easier to discuss with specifics, but I suppose I see what you're asking. MBTI, Kiersey, etc. don't really "add" anything to the human psyche, they just sort of classify what's already there. I admit that I agree with you that alot of functions overlap and sound similar to eachother though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The four-letter codes are actually shorthand for four-function code sequences (the eight codes are Si, Se, Ni, Ne, Ti, Te, Fi, Fe) which sometimes are expanded to include all eight functions.

So
INTP = Ti + Ne + Si + Fe
ESFP = Se + Fi + Te + Ni
ENFJ = Fe + Ni + Se + Ti

and so on. Each MBTI type is comprised of four functions.

The first function is the primary.
The second is the auxiliary (supports primary).
The fourth is the inferior (often moved to in times of stress, the opposite of the primary).

It's usually more useful to look at the functions themselves, because people don't always fit into a "type," and often have at least one function that is atypical that impacts their personality expression. It also helps you better understand why a person acts the way they do.

I read in another thread the difference between Se, and Si. It sounded exactly like the difference you would see in all ESxx with ISxx would act....? Inward Sensing or Outward sensing?

not sure what you are asking.

Se = Sensory impressions of the external world, real-time, hands on

Si = Recollection of past experienced sensations, also feels the internal state they had when experiencing those external sensations -- that is where the focus is, on the internal experience of those sensations rather than raw external true sensation.

(This is why ESxx often reacts and adjusts to the external world's changes better, while ISxx tends to fight to keep things the way they have been... they're clinging to their internal perceptions from the past and maintaining them regardless of the changes in the outer world. But both are still Sensation... they still deal with actual data from an external reality, rather than suggestions of potentiality like N does.)

IXTJ

MBTI Type
IXTJ
The four-letter codes are actually shorthand for four-function code sequences (the eight codes are Si, Se, Ni, Ne, Ti, Te, Fi, Fe) which sometimes are expanded to include all eight functions.

So
INTP = Ti + Ne + Si + Fe
ESFP = Se + Fi + Te + Ni
ENFJ = Fe + Ni + Se + Ti

and so on. Each MBTI type is comprised of four functions.

The first function is the primary.
The second is the auxiliary (supports primary).
The fourth is the inferior (often moved to in times of stress, the opposite of the primary).

It's usually more useful to look at the functions themselves, because people don't always fit into a "type," and often have at least one function that is atypical that impacts their personality expression. It also helps you better understand why a person acts the way they do.

not sure what you are asking.

Se = Sensory impressions of the external world, real-time, hands on

Si = Recollection of past experienced sensations, also feels the internal state they had when experiencing those external sensations -- that is where the focus is, on the internal experience of those sensations rather than raw external true sensation.

(This is why ESxx often reacts and adjusts to the external world's changes better, while ISxx tends to fight to keep things the way they have been... they're clinging to their internal perceptions from the past and maintaining them regardless of the changes in the outer world. But both are still Sensation... they still deal with actual data from an external reality, rather than suggestions of potentiality like N does.)

Okay, I understand what you are mostly saying.

Let's take this:

INTP = Ti + Ne + Si + Fe

Do all INTP's have this exact same formula, in this exact same order? and if so, "Fe" seems the exact opposite; do all INTP's have Fe and if so, can you re-explain how Fe works with being an INTP - which seems entirely conflicting.

Also, am an IxTJ. I constantly debate the N/S. How would using the functions help out?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In theory, according to the MBTI, INTPs will have the same order, because it's a part of what defines the type. I personally don't believe it, though. There are way more than sixteen possible combinations, and whenever people take tests that directly score the functions, people usually don't get the exact orders that the MBTI describs.

IXTJ

MBTI Type
IXTJ
In theory, according to the MBTI, INTPs will have the same order, because it's a part of what defines the type. I personally don't believe it, though. There are way more than sixteen possible combinations, and whenever people take tests that directly score the functions, people usually don't get the exact orders that the MBTI describs.

I have never believed there are "just" 16 types, but I believe in 16 generally thin (or even open) boundaries.

For example, I would not put the 16 types in a closed vertical and horizontal box; but I would put them between infinite (for example) horizontal walls. Thus, you are grouped with your type but you can wonder to the left or right. e.g. some Republicans are more liberal than others.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have never believed there are "just" 16 types, but I believe in 16 generally thin (or even open) boundaries.

For example, I would not put the 16 types in a closed vertical and horizontal box; but I would put them between infinite (for example) horizontal walls. Thus, you are grouped with your type but you can wonder to the left or right. e.g. some Republicans are more liberal than others.

Oh, I know that. That's exactly what I'm referring too, though. It's just that, while I score as an INTP almost always on MBTI tests, on raw function tests I score a function order that is not only not the INTP's order, it's not really like any MBTI type's order. So the validity of the orders is definitely questionable.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTP = Ti + Ne + Si + Fe
Do all INTP's have this exact same formula, in this exact same order?

As Magic says (and you respond), no, not in practice. This is why there are often arguments on INTPc for example on who the "real INTPs" are... or MGB's posts there (I think) that describe 6 potential different types of INTPs, and so on.

As minor points of comparison, my Ni actually ranks #3 in my function order, and has at times drifted into the top 2, although best fit was still INTP. Someone like Rajah, however, I think scores a high Te... and so we look different.

There are also INTPs who have developed their Ne and tend to use it (as part of their socializing process) much more than they outwardly use their Ti.

But you get the point. There might still be a general internal Ti thinking process, buttressed by possibilities (Ne) as a fuel for the Ti, but it's flavored heavily by whatever other functions actually are stronger in that person.

and if so, "Fe" seems the exact opposite; do all INTP's have Fe and if so, can you re-explain how Fe works with being an INTP - which seems entirely conflicting.

Not sure what you mean by the latter.

Fe is the "vent system" for INTPs, usually. It's the opposite of their primary so they tend to not feel comfortable with it naturally... and when they are under lots of pressure and their primary is not solving the problem and Ne can't get them out of it either, they tend to "flip out" emotionally, respond aggressively to perceived social pressures that might not actually exist, get hypersensitive, and so on.

INTPs can learn to use Fe just like anyone else can; it's essentially a social language one uses to prioritize and express one's commitments to others and place in the community. And since it's externalized, it doesn't run interference against the internal judging Ti process. I think this is one way in which INTPs don't instinctively "get it" -- they see Fe as an imposition by unfair/illogical social forces (because sometimes it can be leveraged as such) rather than as a voluntary means of expression that is more proactive in nature.

People like ExFJ who have Fe as a primary look different with it as their main; it's their instinctive approach, buttressed by other functions, and they tend to have developed the nuances of it.

Also, am an IxTJ. I constantly debate the N/S. How would using the functions help out?

If you are IxTJ and are sure on that, your function order is theoretically either:

ISTJ = Si + Te + Fi + Ne
INTJ = Ni + Te + Fi + Se

ISTJs think inside the box based on their understanding of how things worked and what they have experienced. (They make good engineers... they go by the book, they know what has worked and what has not, they are good at risk managing in THAT sense.... but they hesitate to go outside the "prudent".) With Ne as the inferior, they sometimes get paranoid about the possible dangers of a situation, they misjudge people and situations, they are very uncomfortable in new situations and keep trying to force it to work according to the old rules.

INTJs think outside the box and spin things around on their head. They are not nearly bound by past experience and established methods. They are good risk managers, but also tend to know when to take a risk and like to exert control with Te over the situation to circumvent the risk. With Se as the inferior, they often neglect their own bodies, they ignore external data in favor of the "way it's supposed to work!" according to their theories/ideals, they often get very internalized and just do not accept external limitations in the way ISTJs do.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As Magic says (and you respond), no, not in practice. This is why there are often arguments on INTPc for example on who the "real INTPs" are... or MGB's posts there (I think) that describe 6 potential different types of INTPs, and so on.
Interesting; I'll have to check that out.
As minor points of comparison, my Ni actually ranks #3 in my function order, and has at times drifted into the top 2, although best fit was still INTP. Someone like Rajah, however, I think scores a high Te... and so we look different.

There are also INTPs who have developed their Ne and tend to use it (as part of their socializing process) much more than they outwardly use their Ti.
I believe I fall into that category, though I don't think it's so much "for" socializing. At least, Ne was always the function I was most aware of. But then that could be simply from it being extraverted.
But you get the point. There might still be a general internal Ti thinking process, buttressed by possibilities (Ne) as a fuel for the Ti, but it's flavored heavily by whatever other functions actually are stronger in that person.

Fe is the "vent system" for INTPs, usually. It's the opposite of their primary so they tend to not feel comfortable with it naturally... and when they are under lots of pressure and their primary is not solving the problem and Ne can't get them out of it either, they tend to "flip out" emotionally, respond aggressively to perceived social pressures that might not actually exist, get hypersensitive, and so on.

INTPs can learn to use Fe just like anyone else can; it's essentially a social language one uses to prioritize and express one's commitments to others and place in the community. And since it's externalized, it doesn't run interference against the internal judging Ti process. I think this is one way in which INTPs don't instinctively "get it" -- they see Fe as an imposition by unfair/illogical social forces (because sometimes it can be leveraged as such) rather than as a voluntary means of expression that is more proactive in nature.
And then, there's also the other four functions, which in eight-function theory, are called the "shadows", and also are used under stress. I'm learning more and more about how these play out. People here even thought that two of them, Fi and Te, were "primary" for me. But I have come to see, (to answer Magic's point) that they usually play a more negative role under stress. So you have to look at them for the role they play in your life; not necessarly how much or how strongly they are used.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Eric, where did you get that graphic that's in your signature?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Made that myself from my informal Step II subscales grades. Figured it would fit in with all those "PersonalityInfo" graphs people have.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I took the Jung test and got this. Could someone tell me how I am supposed to properly list my functions. I've noticed that there are usually only 4 out of the 8 functions listed for each type. So does this mean I would state mine as Fe-Fi-Si-Se?

cognitivetestresultsph3.jpg

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
IXTJ, I'm constantly debating the N/S too. I seem to fluctuate a lot since I have many NT-ish hobbies and often test as N, but I'm pretty sure I'm a sensor, though not a flamboyant one. It becomes more apparent as I get older. It didn't help that I dated a hardcore ISTJ engineer for years...I'm trying to reverse the "damage" now.
Knowing the Si worldview definitely confirmed for me that I'm a sensor - totally different from Ni worldview.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Made that myself from my informal Step II subscales grades. Figured it would fit in with all those "PersonalityInfo" graphs people have.

Oh, wow, that's cool. And slightly disappointing, because i thought I could take another test and get a thingy like that. :blush: