User Tag List

12 Last

WALMART

Default falsification of type

Jung thought it was advantageous but psychologically draining to falsify one's type in order to satisfy conditions without. This most typically is brought on by parenting.

What is your experience with this phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Jung thought it was advantageous but psychologically draining to falsify one's type in order to satisfy conditions without. This most typically is brought on by parenting.

I think I've tried so hard to be a smartass champion ENFP but failed... and had to abandon it and settle for INFJ... It made me feel like a failure and instilled great shame in me to have failed to satisfy my parents expectations... I am not very sure how much of it they are to blame for and how much I am (or the societal expectations) though...

It's like an investment gone sour...

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

It is draining for sure - but it's a handy back-up in situations where being yourself gets you so much backlash it's even more exhausting and ultimately unproductive to the goal you're setting.

For me, concretely, faking INFJ when I go home to visit tends to get me wayyyy more peace and wayyyy less head ache than if I just go ENFP coz my family is highly triggered by Fi. I just make sure it's for no more than a few hours, and I get plenty of time to recover after.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I'm always drained and miserable, what do you think?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post

Here's what Jung says about falsification of type in Psychological Types:"As a rule, whenever such falsification of type takes place as a result of parental influence, the individual becomes neurotic later, and can be cured only by developing the attitude consonant with his nature." He also writes, "Reversal of type often proves exceedingly harmful to the physiological well-being of the organism, often leading to an acute state of exhaustion." So, I wouldn't call that advantageous.

Still, I think it's clearly the case that one must adapt to one's environment in order to be functional and financially self-sufficient. As long as one has spaces where one can relax into one's preferences and recharge, I don't see functioning outside the preferences of one's type a moderate amount of time as inherently harmful. Still, if one's environment forces one to function outside of preferences most of the time, that seems like a recipe for exhaustion and depression.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I'm always drained and miserable, what do you think?
    You are unhappy and depressed... you need to find things to get satisfaction from in life?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    You are unhappy and depressed... you need to find things to get satisfaction from in life?
    I didn't phrase that very well, it was meant to be rhetorical to the question of falsification of type being draining, or my experience of it.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

LadyLazarus

I don't think I've actually ever consciously/purposely tried to fake ESFJ, I could never pretend to use Fe let alone that much Fe. Not even for my family, I would feel like I was betraying myself too much to do so. I think my father(who is actually an ESFJ himself) to a point has tried to push me to act like an ESFJ from an early age, it has never worked though. I only ever turn into an ESFJ when I'm drifting into the shadow realm, never of my own volition.

I assume it would be very draining to try to contort oneself into ones exact opposite, I doubt anyone would find that easy for obvious reasons.

It feels to me like I am wearing this INFJ armor when outside, and when I come home after a long day and relax, I take the armor off and become this lazy-ass, easygoing and procastinating pseudo-ENFP...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Here's what Jung says about falsification of type in Psychological Types:"As a rule, whenever such falsification of type takes place as a result of parental influence, the individual becomes neurotic later, and can be cured only by developing the attitude consonant with his nature." He also writes, "Reversal of type often proves exceedingly harmful to the physiological well-being of the organism, often leading to an acute state of exhaustion." So, I wouldn't call that advantageous.
    you're right; it's not, long-term. It's just a short-term survival mechanism, just as people in general will suppress/leave unvoiced their own opinions in a community where such expression of thoughts could threaten one's survival.

Still, I think it's clearly the case that one must adapt to one's environment in order to be functional and financially self-sufficient. As long as one has spaces where one can relax into one's preferences and recharge, I don't see functioning outside the preferences of one's type a moderate amount of time as inherently harmful. Still, if one's environment forces one to function outside of preferences most of the time, that seems like a recipe for exhaustion and depression.
    Yup, agreed. I think it's actually useful to be able to stretch outside preferences to a moderate degree for a temporary period of time. For example, I don't deal well with schedules and structure, but to accomplish certain goals, it's a skill I have had to develop; it's just if it's indefinite, I become stressed and worn-down.

The problem when you're young is that you haven't yet developed self-awareness to know when you're being pushed in directions that 'aren't right for you' and you dig deep furrows of behavior in this misaligned styles. It's all you CONSCIOUSLY know to be right, and you might be CONSCIOUSLY taught by parents (by direct communication or by reward/punishment) that these unpreferred behaviors are what you should be. Because you're unaware, you will continue to suppress yourself even with your parents/culture not around later in life because they have imposed their conscience in your head as the should do's and should not do's of your experience. This will lead to neurotic behavior in some, depending on the strength of the internal conflict.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft