User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Lightbulb A theory on I/E borderlines

Lots of people are riding the I/E threshold. I'm wondering if part of the reason they can't decide is not because they're always floating around the center, but rather that they have moments they classify as introversion, and other, distinct moments they identify as extroversion.

If that's the case, then maybe what's happening is that your energy and interaction-style is being affected by other issues like depression and anxiety, like this:

1. Default: Extroversion; onset of depression turns you inward, making you more contemplative and isolated, something you identify as Introversion.
    2. Default: Introversion; onset of depression makes you compensate by seeking out people, approval, affirmation, something you identify as Extroversion.
    3. Default: Introversion; social anxiety makes you talk more and seek out validation, making you behave in an Extroverted fashion.
    4. Default: Extroversion; social anxiety makes you avoid social risks and people, so you end up acting Introverted.

MBTI
    TiSe

Try this. Jung and Myers-Briggs, as well as most theorist and enthusiasts articulate that there are no pure types, but the average person on the forum has some mental block to understanding that dichotomies don't work because most see E/I as a forced choice of one or the other when actually the majority of people are somewhere in the middle.

In part it is the system of rudimentary dichotomy usage, but mostly it's readers failing to get a deeper understanding of type in studying cognitive functions. Once you start using the latter, E/I becomes limited since it is merely the tool to determine which direction of energy is being used. Jung gives very little credence to direction of energy when defining the functions, but to say extraverted functions focus on the objective and introverted functions the subjective.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Try this. Jung and Myers-Briggs, as well as most theorist and enthusiasts articulate that there are no pure types, but the average person on the forum has some mental block to understanding that dichotomies don't work because most see E/I as a forced choice of one or the other when actually the majority of people are somewhere in the middle.

In part it is the system of rudimentary dichotomy usage, but mostly it's readers failing to get a deeper understanding of type in studying cognitive functions. Once you start using the latter, E/I becomes limited since it is merely the tool to determine which direction of energy is being used. Jung gives very little credence to direction of energy when defining the functions, but to say extraverted functions focus on the objective and introverted functions the subjective.
    I agree with that 100%. However, there are still reasons we don't have pure types. This's one explanation for the impurities. Even more, it's an explanation of a specific kind of impurity (this is starting to sound kinda Naziesque, sorry) where the person experiences extremes of both introversion and extroversion.

Edit: Well said, btw.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm an introvert, and in times of stress and depression, I get MORE introverted, not less so.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I agree with that 100%. However, there are still reasons we don't have pure types. This's one explanation for the impurities. Even more, it's an explanation of a specific kind of impurity (this is starting to sound kinda Naziesque, sorry) where the person experiences extremes of both introversion and extroversion.

Edit: Well said, btw.
    I am like this. (I've said it before--when I'm extraverted, I'm "on".)

I am healthy (at present, and lately). In the past, I have become more intraverted when unhealthy.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Depression totally turns me inward, fwiw.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Like Jeffster, depression makes me more inwardly focused, sometimes its almost to the point where I have 0 tolerance for People whatsoever.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

moderate extrovert, becoming moderately anxious from forced introversion, and depressed from prolonged introversion.

I also become more introverted when depressed.

I don't recall almost any situations when the situation has forced me to be more extraverted than I would like, but I always take the challenge, and do whatever extraverted activity is required. I guess I still view those situations positively afterwards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

The basis for nearly every motivation I may have to be reserved or reticent can be found in negative experiences. I don't think I have, innately, any strong desire for restraint.

Then again, my preferences fit the "energy-focus" understanding of extroversion. Taken straight from CAPT, I "focus on people, things," consider myself "active," clearly have a "breadth of interest" rather than a depth thereof, and where appropriate prefer "interaction" to concentration. Over time I've noticed how IN types really are unaware of their surroundings, lose track of time and fixate in a way that I don't.

Apropos, I read last night that William Manchester considered Douglas MacArthur, of all people, to be an "introvert," apparently because the general lacked the talent and desire for small talk or repartee (contrasting him with Franklin Roosevelt); and eschewed hosting and open social occasions. Given that Manchester emphasized his point by describing MacArthur as "this Olympian figure," and that, biographically, MacArthur fairly well fits an EJ profile, such a difference is worth considering.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

2. Default: Introversion; onset of depression makes you compensate by seeking out people, approval, affirmation, something you identify as Extroversion.
    This is looking pretty good, Edahn.
    I can relate to this well.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx