• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A theory on I/E borderlines

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Lots of people are riding the I/E threshold. I'm wondering if part of the reason they can't decide is not because they're always floating around the center, but rather that they have moments they classify as introversion, and other, distinct moments they identify as extroversion.

If that's the case, then maybe what's happening is that your energy and interaction-style is being affected by other issues like depression and anxiety, like this:

1. Default: Extroversion; onset of depression turns you inward, making you more contemplative and isolated, something you identify as Introversion.
2. Default: Introversion; onset of depression makes you compensate by seeking out people, approval, affirmation, something you identify as Extroversion.
3. Default: Introversion; social anxiety makes you talk more and seek out validation, making you behave in an Extroverted fashion.
4. Default: Extroversion; social anxiety makes you avoid social risks and people, so you end up acting Introverted.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Try this. Jung and Myers-Briggs, as well as most theorist and enthusiasts articulate that there are no pure types, but the average person on the forum has some mental block to understanding that dichotomies don't work because most see E/I as a forced choice of one or the other when actually the majority of people are somewhere in the middle.

In part it is the system of rudimentary dichotomy usage, but mostly it's readers failing to get a deeper understanding of type in studying cognitive functions. Once you start using the latter, E/I becomes limited since it is merely the tool to determine which direction of energy is being used. Jung gives very little credence to direction of energy when defining the functions, but to say extraverted functions focus on the objective and introverted functions the subjective.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Try this. Jung and Myers-Briggs, as well as most theorist and enthusiasts articulate that there are no pure types, but the average person on the forum has some mental block to understanding that dichotomies don't work because most see E/I as a forced choice of one or the other when actually the majority of people are somewhere in the middle.

In part it is the system of rudimentary dichotomy usage, but mostly it's readers failing to get a deeper understanding of type in studying cognitive functions. Once you start using the latter, E/I becomes limited since it is merely the tool to determine which direction of energy is being used. Jung gives very little credence to direction of energy when defining the functions, but to say extraverted functions focus on the objective and introverted functions the subjective.

I agree with that 100%. However, there are still reasons we don't have pure types. This's one explanation for the impurities. Even more, it's an explanation of a specific kind of impurity (this is starting to sound kinda Naziesque, sorry) where the person experiences extremes of both introversion and extroversion.

Edit: Well said, btw.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm an introvert, and in times of stress and depression, I get MORE introverted, not less so.

Usehername

On a mission
I agree with that 100%. However, there are still reasons we don't have pure types. This's one explanation for the impurities. Even more, it's an explanation of a specific kind of impurity (this is starting to sound kinda Naziesque, sorry) where the person experiences extremes of both introversion and extroversion.

Edit: Well said, btw.

I am like this. (I've said it before--when I'm extraverted, I'm "on".)

I am healthy (at present, and lately). In the past, I have become more intraverted when unhealthy.

Didums

Like Jeffster, depression makes me more inwardly focused, sometimes its almost to the point where I have 0 tolerance for People whatsoever.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
moderate extrovert, becoming moderately anxious from forced introversion, and depressed from prolonged introversion.

I also become more introverted when depressed.

I don't recall almost any situations when the situation has forced me to be more extraverted than I would like, but I always take the challenge, and do whatever extraverted activity is required. I guess I still view those situations positively afterwards.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The basis for nearly every motivation I may have to be reserved or reticent can be found in negative experiences. I don't think I have, innately, any strong desire for restraint.

Then again, my preferences fit the "energy-focus" understanding of extroversion. Taken straight from CAPT, I "focus on people, things," consider myself "active," clearly have a "breadth of interest" rather than a depth thereof, and where appropriate prefer "interaction" to concentration. Over time I've noticed how IN types really are unaware of their surroundings, lose track of time and fixate in a way that I don't.

Apropos, I read last night that William Manchester considered Douglas MacArthur, of all people, to be an "introvert," apparently because the general lacked the talent and desire for small talk or repartee (contrasting him with Franklin Roosevelt); and eschewed hosting and open social occasions. Given that Manchester emphasized his point by describing MacArthur as "this Olympian figure," and that, biographically, MacArthur fairly well fits an EJ profile, such a difference is worth considering.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
2. Default: Introversion; onset of depression makes you compensate by seeking out people, approval, affirmation, something you identify as Extroversion.

This is looking pretty good, Edahn.
I can relate to this well.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm an E/I borderline. I'm always fairly quiet (hence the username, haha), but I become extremely introverted when depressed or in the middle of a bad anxiety cycle. I have documented major depressive episodes and generalized anxiety disorder. Since I've been dealing with mental illness for as long as I remember, I do tend to identify and find comfort in traits and behaviors associated with the illness. I also struggled with an eating disorder. I have to stay in constant therapy in order to prevent relapse because of the familarity in these destructive behaviors. It's really difficult.

I tend to isolate myself more than an extrovert and I am definitely a homebody. I need recharge time. However when I'm at my best mentally, I really do enjoy being around people, helping people, and socializing. I recently took a career change and I am now working in human services and getting my Nursing degree. I have been the happiest & the most social I've ever been since making this huge change in my life.

I've been the most miserable when working jobs not involving people or during periods of time when I'm too busy to see anybody. I speak up way more than my introverted boyfriend and can talk to him for hours - but I can only talk a lot to people I really know well.

My E/I score usually tends to be around 50/50. I strongly identify with both INFJ & ENFJ descriptions. My Fe & Ni are very strong, but I do have a stronger than expected Se & Ti.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Lots of people are riding the I/E threshold. I'm wondering if part of the reason they can't decide is not because they're always floating around the center, but rather that they have moments they classify as introversion, and other, distinct moments they identify as extroversion.

I figured that was obvious...

Anyway, you're right. Here's the problem. All people require a little time alone. All this literature online saying "Es recharge by being around people" is bull.

Everyone uses introverted functions sometimes, everyone uses extroverted functions sometimes. Most people assume that because they don't use an I/E function ALL the time, that they're pretty balanced which gels with the normal psychology and public opinion that it's good to be balanced and well rounded.

In my observation, it's extremely rare to have a ratio more even than 2:3 or 3:2. Most people I've seen are either 3:1 or sometimes even 4:1. A 1:1 ratio almost never happens. Unless I just by coincidence have never visited an area where there's a lot of this.

Again, as I've said before, what it boils down to, is that people either refuse to, or just can't observe themselves objectively. They want to be a certain way, so they for those things in themselves.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The entire system is based on preferences. You're introverted if you prefer introversion. It's that simple. No one is "X". If you give any creedence to a 'ratio' based on which questions you answered regarding a preference while taking a very unreliable test, you have another thing coming.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

If that's the case, then maybe what's happening is that your energy and interaction-style is being affected by other issues like depression and anxiety, like this:

1. Default: Extroversion; onset of depression turns you inward, making you more contemplative and isolated, something you identify as Introversion.
3. Default: Introversion; social anxiety makes you talk more and seek out validation, making you behave in an Extroverted fashion.
4. Default: Extroversion; social anxiety makes you avoid social risks and people, so you end up acting Introverted.

Nature vs Nuture

An extrovert can have limited energy due to daily demands or aversion conditioning to their environment, thus tempering their extroversion. Same with an introvert. Necessity drives them outward more often, due to conflict or need.

Though I must say, I've always seen EX vs IN to be more along the lines of - just because extroverts turn their focus outward to gather data doesn't mean they want to LIVE outside their bodies, even for short periods of time. Introverts turn their focus inward to gather data but they don't necessarily want to LIVE inside their own heads.

E and I seem to be more a preferred data gathering default than a purely social one.

Known some reticent Es, and hard-partying Is.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Nature vs Nuture

An extrovert can have limited energy due to daily demands or aversion conditioning to their environment, thus tempering their extroversion. Same with an introvert. Necessity drives them outward more often, due to conflict or need.

Though I must say, I've always seen EX vs IN to be more along the lines of.......
I can't say I agree or disagree, but Keirsey has to have said it best already. What drains you? If you're around people constantly for a few days, and feel like you'll die if you don't spend the next 24 hours alone, you're probably an introvert.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't say I agree or disagree, but Keirsey has to have said it best already. What drains you? If you're around people constantly for a few days, and feel like you'll die if you don't spend the next 24 hours alone, you're probably an introvert.

I think Keirsey was close on many points, but I find the E/I designation to be a grey area for most people I've discussed it with. I test as an E and an I, and have been borderline/moderate at best. I go with E because my perceptions of events and people clearly filters through my Fe first, even if my Ni is knocking at the door. Agreed, your source of energy is a good directive, but again, I'm all over the board on that too.