User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm an E/I borderline. I'm always fairly quiet (hence the username, haha), but I become extremely introverted when depressed or in the middle of a bad anxiety cycle. I have documented major depressive episodes and generalized anxiety disorder. Since I've been dealing with mental illness for as long as I remember, I do tend to identify and find comfort in traits and behaviors associated with the illness. I also struggled with an eating disorder. I have to stay in constant therapy in order to prevent relapse because of the familarity in these destructive behaviors. It's really difficult.

I tend to isolate myself more than an extrovert and I am definitely a homebody. I need recharge time. However when I'm at my best mentally, I really do enjoy being around people, helping people, and socializing. I recently took a career change and I am now working in human services and getting my Nursing degree. I have been the happiest & the most social I've ever been since making this huge change in my life.

I've been the most miserable when working jobs not involving people or during periods of time when I'm too busy to see anybody. I speak up way more than my introverted boyfriend and can talk to him for hours - but I can only talk a lot to people I really know well.

My E/I score usually tends to be around 50/50. I strongly identify with both INFJ & ENFJ descriptions. My Fe & Ni are very strong, but I do have a stronger than expected Se & Ti.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Lots of people are riding the I/E threshold. I'm wondering if part of the reason they can't decide is not because they're always floating around the center, but rather that they have moments they classify as introversion, and other, distinct moments they identify as extroversion.
    I figured that was obvious...

Anyway, you're right. Here's the problem. All people require a little time alone. All this literature online saying "Es recharge by being around people" is bull.

Everyone uses introverted functions sometimes, everyone uses extroverted functions sometimes. Most people assume that because they don't use an I/E function ALL the time, that they're pretty balanced which gels with the normal psychology and public opinion that it's good to be balanced and well rounded.

In my observation, it's extremely rare to have a ratio more even than 2:3 or 3:2. Most people I've seen are either 3:1 or sometimes even 4:1. A 1:1 ratio almost never happens. Unless I just by coincidence have never visited an area where there's a lot of this.

Again, as I've said before, what it boils down to, is that people either refuse to, or just can't observe themselves objectively. They want to be a certain way, so they for those things in themselves.
    we fukin won boys

Banned
    MBTI
    type

The entire system is based on preferences. You're introverted if you prefer introversion. It's that simple. No one is "X". If you give any creedence to a 'ratio' based on which questions you answered regarding a preference while taking a very unreliable test, you have another thing coming.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Lots of people are riding the I/E threshold. I'm wondering if part of the reason they can't decide is not because they're always floating around the center, but rather that they have moments they classify as introversion, and other, distinct moments they identify as extroversion.

If that's the case, then maybe what's happening is that your energy and interaction-style is being affected by other issues like depression and anxiety, like this:

1. Default: Extroversion; onset of depression turns you inward, making you more contemplative and isolated, something you identify as Introversion.
    2. Default: Introversion; onset of depression makes you compensate by seeking out people, approval, affirmation, something you identify as Extroversion.
    3. Default: Introversion; social anxiety makes you talk more and seek out validation, making you behave in an Extroverted fashion.
    4. Default: Extroversion; social anxiety makes you avoid social risks and people, so you end up acting Introverted.
    Nature vs Nuture

An extrovert can have limited energy due to daily demands or aversion conditioning to their environment, thus tempering their extroversion. Same with an introvert. Necessity drives them outward more often, due to conflict or need.

Though I must say, I've always seen EX vs IN to be more along the lines of - just because extroverts turn their focus outward to gather data doesn't mean they want to LIVE outside their bodies, even for short periods of time. Introverts turn their focus inward to gather data but they don't necessarily want to LIVE inside their own heads.

E and I seem to be more a preferred data gathering default than a purely social one.

Known some reticent Es, and hard-partying Is.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Nature vs Nuture

An extrovert can have limited energy due to daily demands or aversion conditioning to their environment, thus tempering their extroversion. Same with an introvert. Necessity drives them outward more often, due to conflict or need.

Though I must say, I've always seen EX vs IN to be more along the lines of.......
    I can't say I agree or disagree, but Keirsey has to have said it best already. What drains you? If you're around people constantly for a few days, and feel like you'll die if you don't spend the next 24 hours alone, you're probably an introvert.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I can't say I agree or disagree, but Keirsey has to have said it best already. What drains you? If you're around people constantly for a few days, and feel like you'll die if you don't spend the next 24 hours alone, you're probably an introvert.
    I think Keirsey was close on many points, but I find the E/I designation to be a grey area for most people I've discussed it with. I test as an E and an I, and have been borderline/moderate at best. I go with E because my perceptions of events and people clearly filters through my Fe first, even if my Ni is knocking at the door. Agreed, your source of energy is a good directive, but again, I'm all over the board on that too.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious