User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Personality Type - Heredity or Environment?

Basically - it's half and half, on average, as with anything else human.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

I think our core temperament (like NF or NT) is predetermined at birth due to our physiology (i.e. hereditary) but our I\E and J\P preferences settle thru our interaction with environment...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    I think our core temperament (like NF or NT) is predetermined at birth due to our physiology (i.e. hereditary) but our I\E and J\P preferences settle thru our interaction with environment...
    I think it is pretty much inborn from an MBTI perspective. On Enneagram, I'm not sure. This thread talks about some perspectives but the post I made about my type wasn't accurate (i.e., I'm not an 8).

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Socionics
    ILI

Apparently, E/I and T/F are correlated more toward heredity rather than environmental factors by the figure .6, and S/N and J/P are correlated more toward environmental factors than heredity by the figure .4 in this study with a sample size of 202 individuals (110 of which were twins). I'm assuming that the figures provided are on the scale from heredity to environmental, could easily be wrong.

Unfortunately, there are no studies for Jung's actual psychological types, just the MBTI dichotomy assessment types, due to its obscurity.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

I've been Ne-dom as long as I can remember (which is about the age of 3). Can't say something didn't happen before then to make me be this way, but I think it's inborn.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I think it is pretty much inborn from an MBTI perspective. On Enneagram, I'm not sure. This thread talks about some perspectives but the post I made about my type wasn't accurate (i.e., I'm not an 8).
    Thanks...

Active: demanding, assertive, bossy, outspoken, intimidating, egocentric, expressive, willful. Perhaps this is ST temperament...

Responsive: supportive, responsive, engaging, affectionate, friendly, sympathetic, cooperative. This is NF or SF...

Neutral: avoidant, withdrawn, indifferent, apathetic, absent, reserved, ignoring, neglectful. And this NT?
    So in My Case...

Responsive child vs. Active parent

This scenario is thought to produce Enneagram type 1

This interaction is generally centered around the parent's agenda, to which the child will subscribe in order to receive the desired approval. The Active parent will be demanding, dominating and will criticize any perceived "bad" behavior. The Responsive child, on the other hand, is unusually sensitive to criticism so he will try to adjust and adhere to the parent's values and perspectives, by being obedient, well-behaved and an altogether "good kid". This attitude will help him build the desired rapport with the fastidious main caretaker.

With time, the child will learn to put aside his real needs and wishes in order to do the right thing, to be correct and morally ethical. These types will prefer to have a clear set of standards and rules to adhere to and will only feel worthy and lovable when they live a righteous life, in accordance with their upstanding principles. Their parents taught them that acceptance comes only through obedience and discipline.
    ^This may be due to my interaction with my ISTJ father... ST (active) father versus NF (responsive) me...

Responsive child vs. Responsive parent

This scenario is thought to produce Enneagram type 6

This child will usually establish a very close relationship with his caretaker and will tend to become dependent on the nurturing, affectionate figure that offers him support and understanding. A strong desire for harmonious relationships is created and the Responsive child will reject and feel threatened by conflicts and lack of stability. Such types will seek playmates and groups that share their values and interests and will take an 'us against the world' stance, typically towards unfamiliar people and circumstances.

These Responsive children will prefer to play by the rules in order to keep themselves safe from any disharmony that will endanger their comforting, supportive relationships. They will be playful, endearing and loyal to their chosen groups and intimates, while at the same time remaining alert and vigilant to avoid any conflicts and hidden threats. Suspicion of other people's motives can arise as a protection from abandonment and rejection - they are in fact very afraid of losing their safe, nurturing grounds.
    ^This may be due to my interaction with my ISFJ mother... SF (responsive) mother versus NF (responsive) me...

Hence my 162 enneagram tritype?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    I've been working on a theory that environment influences us through the personality predispositions and temperaments of others. In this it's necessary to take the term "meme" away from its internet usage and back to its original source meaning: "an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, esp. imitation."

The meme is passed subconsciously from one person to another through cultural or social "osmosis." These influences can be father, mother, siblings, spouses, or even cultural icons such as pop stars and other "heroes" raised to the status of a mythical icon (authors such as Ayn Rand and/or her characters, Timothy Leary, etc., etc.)

Most people never become aware of these subconscious mechanisms that control them and make them who they are. The ego clings ferociously to these traits selfishly as if they were creations of one's own willpower and important to life itself. However, I see no utilitarian purpose for it at all, just a mere pre-determination via cultural influences with neither rhyme nor reason.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    The article cited
    http://pstypes.blogspot.com/search?u...&max-results=2
    reduces the activating, responding, and neutralizing forces to static Hornevian psychological categories. But these categories are not forces, they do not interact dynamically, or to use a more accurate term, dialectically.

I use the term "dialectically" to give the process a metaphysical spin, since that's what it is anyway, where the idea is to explain (and even promote) the concepts of "change," "growth," and "creation." Furthermore, it is to explain all things in these terms. By making the process conscious, we create a more efficient possibility of growth. The Enneagram itself was intended to serve as a neutralizing force, it is not the end-product (which we cannot know anyway), but the force that is brought to bear on our internal conflicts in order to resolve them into something higher than the other two forces combined. The notion of something higher serves as a postulate, an empty ideal (because at the present moment it has no content, only the mere possibility of content), while the neutralizing force (in this case, the Enneagram) makes us more conscious of the conflict between the activating and responding forces.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Enneagram

MBTI

"Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

If we look at in terms of behavioral traits, career choices, interests, etc, then I think it's slightly more environment related. (more the realm of ennagram)

If we look at in terms of how we perceive and judge the world (which is really what MBTI is concerned with), then I think it's more hereditary, more wired into our brains at birth.