User Tag List

MBTI
    Meow
    Enneagram
    :0) so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Default Shy Extroversion

Shy extroverts: How do you reconcile your shyness with a need for human contact? Also, how did you determine that you were an extroverted and not introverted? Was it as simple as determining what your top function was, or was there more to it?

"Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high.
    Then life seems almost enchanted after all."
    - Vincent van Gogh

johari/nohari

infp 4w5 ?w? 9w? so=sp>sx

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I am ambiverted. I just act outgoing as much as I can and learb from my mistakes. as an enneagram 8 I am natyrally afraid of how most people will treat me and so I am naturally hostile, So I have to remind myself to LOVE everyone and look forward to speaking with them.

LadyLazarus

I am not an extrovert, however I am an ambivert. My shyness certainly interferes with my occasional need for human contact most of the time, I usually just ignore it when I'm in the mood for social interaction, but it's very hard and it doesn't always work. I determined I was not an ESFP by determining my top function, it was rather difficult as being an ambivert would mean I have very close use of my top 2 functions, however, Fi has been something I am certain I have always used, and although I know I have strong use of Se, it's not my "knee jerk", primary mode of operation the way Fi is.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

I'm not really shy any more, but there are often times when I'm feeling down, and just don't want to see anyone. Talking to people online helps. It certainly cheers me up a bit. When I was young I was often quite shy, but I always wanted to go out with my good friends. Maybe that's the solution -- just hang out with people you're comfortable with.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

I once wrote this in a blog for times exactly like these:

So how do reclusive extraverts like me channel their outward-oriented energy?

- Writing, blogging, journaling
    - Talking to the wall (Ne-doms are famous for monologues that no one listens to anyway!)
    - Learning to speak foreign languages
    - Internet surfing
    - Chatting on online forums
    - Listening to music really loud
    - Juggling 4-5 creative projects at once
    - Reading
    - Gaming
    - Taking brisk walks
    - Going to supermarkets
    - Doing two or more of these things at the same time
    I test as an introvert, but when I read enough about Extraverted Intuition, I knew it was me. I also found a painfully accurate picture of myself under Si-inferior, so I basically had no choice BUT to type this way. (Incidentally, I like to refer to myself as Si-inferior more than Ne-dom, since being "extroverted" is the wrong definition of me).

I thought I'd be an Fi-user, but around Christmas, I realized that I'm insanely good at finding--and exploiting--the underlying principle. I'm not Ti-dom, and Fe-use is too controlled for it to by my inferior. So clearly I'm an ENTP. (The descriptions actually fit me really well, too).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    I once wrote this in a blog for times exactly like these:

So how do reclusive extraverts like me channel their outward-oriented energy?

- Writing, blogging, journaling
    - Talking to the wall (Ne-doms are famous for monologues that no one listens to anyway!)
    - Learning to speak foreign languages
    - Internet surfing
    - Chatting on online forums
    - Listening to music really loud
    - Juggling 4-5 creative projects at once
    - Reading
    - Gaming
    - Taking brisk walks
    - Going to supermarkets
    - Doing two or more of these things at the same time
    So reading, writing, journaling, websurfing, listening to music and solitary walks are extraverted activities now? How the heck's a guy like me supposed to channel his introverted energy?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    I'm not really shy any more, but there are often times when I'm feeling down, and just don't want to see anyone. Talking to people online helps. It certainly cheers me up a bit. When I was young I was often quite shy, but I always wanted to go out with my good friends. Maybe that's the solution -- just hang out with people you're comfortable with.
    Pretty much exactly this.

I am not all that shy. I have certain things I am shy with, but if they begin to annoy me I start to work on them and try to remove the shyness of it.

The key definitely is to associate with people you feel good around. Sometimes doing this online can fulfill that need.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

garbage

(This particular post isn't about me in particular.)

But it's pretty easy to reconcile extroversion with shyness--it's having a desire to interact with the outside world but feeling constrained in doing so.

See also: from this thing:
    The most important answer is that there’s a shared bias in our society against both traits. The mental state of a shy extrovert sitting quietly in a business meeting may be very different from that of a calm introvert – the shy person is afraid to speak up, while the introvert is simply overstimulated – but to the outside world, the two appear to be the same, and neither type is welcome. Studies show that we rank fast and frequent talkers as more competent, likable, and even smarter than slow ones.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    So reading, writing, journaling, websurfing, listening to music and solitary walks are extraverted activities now? How the heck's a guy like me supposed to channel his introverted energy?
    No man. EXTERNAL PROCESSING.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram

As we all know introverts channel their energy by lying in bed whilst vibrating slightly and making a buzzing sound.