User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

My wordiness usually stems from an unclear sense of what I want to convey... I despise thorough, technical writing. I find connecting every dot tedious. I'd rather offer a sparse but accurate synthesis to cue the reader to fill in details.

I usually only sacrifice brevity for the sake of speculation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I had a professor refer to me as "prolific," but she meant it as positive feedback, often sharing my writing in class. Did your instructor mean something negative?
    He said it wryly but not cruelly. He liked me and thought I wrote okay, but maybe not as concisely as I could have, I think.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    there is, in particular, a certain type of young INTP wall-o-text that seems to recur every so often.

I used to be worse about this, but even now I'm fairly wordy. I got into a mini-flamewar on another site recently, and even though I was spending a lot of time cutting down on the length of my responses, the other guy ended up trying to use my wordiness as an insult against me. (To clarify: the other guy never saw the longer versions, just the cut down ones, and he was still bothered by it.)

I don't consider it a flaw, exactly, but excessive wordiness is. Good wordiness says a lot and says it very precisely; it's wordy because there's a lot to say, and saying it as precisely as possible usually makes it take more words as well. Bad wordiness is not cutting out empty words or repetitions (that don't alter the meaning).

Even in my most wordy days, though, I always at least included paragraph breaks.

I adore it when someone hits the nail on the head in an incredibly compact and anti-wordy way, but I can't do it myself unless I'm specifically aiming for it. (What I should have written: "I adore terseness, but I normally can't do it.")

I think a lot of people would have just put: " ", and just left it at that. That's how my reply started out, but then it grew a bit...

If you think this is too wordy, be grateful you didn't see the unedited version in my head.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    There's the bottom line, and then turning that line into a dot. I have no problem cutting to the chase, but resent oversimplification as it does a disservice both the topic, and to the people claiming to want the information. It feels almost like being forced to lie, or at least misrepresent the situation.
    I see.

I think I would be put off by it too. Sound like an extreme way to go about it. lol
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

I have thought the same thing before until I realized sometimes I write so much about something I care about. And all the pieces I think are wordy, in reality, just don't interest me.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

[QUOTE=theCoriolis;2258250]I try always to use all the words necessary to convey my idea, and no more. (I won't claim always to succeed at this.)

At work, I just finished compiling a 129-page report.
    I then had to summarize it in a 4-5 page conclusion.
    Next I had to write a 1-page executive summary.
    Finally, I wrote a 200-word abstract.

I can do it, but this makes quite plain what is lost at each reduction.[/QUnote]

what's the subject of yer report?

Junior Member Cognitive Cartograph's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

Fascinating question.

I am trying to get to the bottom of this to better my writing, professionally. What am I afraid of not saying?

I admire people who can encompass entire worlds in concise sentences.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    My wordiness usually stems from an unclear sense of what I want to convey... I despise thorough, technical writing. I find connecting every dot tedious. I'd rather offer a sparse but accurate synthesis to cue the reader to fill in details.
    That's because tedious technical writing is not good technical writing. Unfortunately the scientific literature is full of bad writing, and not just from those writing in other than their native language.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    what's the subject of yer report?
    I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

I tend to be very concise, generally because I have a hard time translating my thinking into words.
    Autistic INFP

MBTI
    INKP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Who has time nor want to read a 3 page dissertation on why clowns are scary than demons? Just watch the movie It that is the answer, no need to write 3 pages on it
    Personally, I tend to be elaborate in my writing almost because it's cathartic. I enjoy the challenge of fiddling with a sentence until I have the perfect combination of words together. I also have a bit of an "all or nothing" mentality. Oftentimes, if I don't have something substantial to say, I won't say anything at all, while if I do have something substantial to say, I will spend however many hours and pages I need explaining it.

Of course, I completely understand how painful it is to read, or even write, a three-page dissertation on why clowns are scary. Doesn't mean I can stop myself from writing one if I have enough material to work with.
    "Quiiri ath metahn i'ashei?"
    Chronically Gephyrophobic