User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

On a semi-unrelated note, is it possible that an F type can effectively mimic its T counterpart (and vice versa)? I have noticed that I can become INFP-like when the situation calls for it, but never quite taking it seriously. Perhaps this is how feeling types play chess.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by fghw View Post
    On a semi-unrelated note, is it possible that an F type can effectively mimic its T counterpart (and vice versa)? I have noticed that I can become INFP-like when the situation calls for it, but never quite taking it seriously. Perhaps this is how feeling types play chess.
    I can't see why not. I don't think specific Judging functions really matter as much as specific Perceiving functions do in chess, it probably could just be classified as Je and Ji styles.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Were your Se user opponents ISTPs, perchance? I find that they sort of mimic my play-style but at the same time make the plan subordinate to the actual happenings on the board; tert. Ni at work, I guess.

I need to play some judging types and Si types soon so I can figure them out. Already have ideas for Te-dominant play-styles.
    I have played ISFP's and ESFP's actually.

The ISFP's were always the ones to memorize standard moves (Just like they memorize jokes...but can't remember who's birthday it is lol.) I'm inclined to believe that Fi likes catagories just at much as Ti.

I have played an ISFJ. He is pretty decent. He's better than me honestly. And this is just because, again...he has an affinity for details in which I just can't be bothered with.

The ISFJ seems to have a plan everytime though. His plans are not out of thin air though. He uses his Si which is full of past experience to formulate a plan. I believe he goes about gathering details as he plays though. It's not like Ni, where in the beginning you have the whole picture and it's just a matter of executing the plan. No, his Si will use every little detail along the way all to compile into a materpeice at the end. He has a skeleton for a plan in the beginning, and will systematically flesh that plan out as he goes. His style is very gradual and accumulating
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    I have played ISFP's and ESFP's actually.

The ISFP's were always the ones to memorize standard moves (Just like they memorize jokes...but can't remember who's birthday it is lol.) I'm inclined to believe that Fi likes catagories just at much as Ti.

I have played an ISFJ. He is pretty decent. He's better than me honestly. And this is just because again...he has an affinity for details in which I just can't be bothered with.

The ISFJ seems to have a plan everytime though. His plans are not out of thin air though. He uses his Si which is full of past experience to formulate a plan. I believe he goes about gathering details as he plays though. It's not like Ni, where in the beginning you have the whole picture and it's just a matter of executing the plan. No, his Si will use every little detail along the way all to compile into a materpeice at the end. He has a skeleton for a plan in the beginning, and will sytematically flesh that plan out. His style is very gradual and accumulating
    Yeah, I don't really think F or T preference matters at all really for chess.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Whereas Te and even Se are more concerned about producing results and capitalizing on opportunities.
    Yea, this is exactly what I want out of a game. lol

I don't know what the difference might entail from Te vs Fe and Ti vs Fi, but I don't think it would be that radical really.
    IMO both Je functions seem to have commonalities more so than not. Just as the Ji types do. The logic behind their decisions seems to be very similar.

Also, I think Te relies more on statistical analysis as well. I always take note of who has the material advantage and my probability of still winning the game after an exchange of pieces, especially when I'm nearing the end-game.
    Yes, I do this too. That's one of the reasons I don't shy away from a piece for piece play.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

To here knows when... Odi et Amo's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

My brother, as an ESTJ, excels at his tactical style. He's very conscious of it - he wants to sit your ass down and grab material, fast. He comes roaring out of the gate and has a calculating, brutalist style that I would normally expect out of an Se user. His biggest failing is not so much lack of foresight as it is inflexibility, so our matches are usually won by the halfway point in material taken.
    Solitude
    Comes just as it goes
    Goes as just its umbra
    Comes

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
    ― Albert Camus

4w5/5w4/1w2, Neutral Good, RlxAI

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Odi et Amo View Post
    My brother, as an ESTJ, excels at his tactical style. He's very conscious of it - he wants to sit your ass down and grab material, fast. He comes roaring out of the gate and has a calculating, brutalist style that I would normally expect out of an Se user. His biggest failing is not so much lack of foresight as it is inflexibility, so our matches are usually won by the halfway point in material taken.
    Probably due to dominant Te. There is a need for control and domination with that function in strategy.

I find that in chess, the dominant function provides a bit of character to their playing style

Ni = finesse (methodical)
    Ne = acrobatics (dancing around the board)
    Se = aggressive (warrior-like)
    Si = (assuming to be) scrutiny

Je = controlling/domination
    Ji = systematizing (harder to pin as well)
    Last edited by Alea_iacta_est; 03-23-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Tons of edits

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Probably due to dominant Te. There is a need for control and domination with that function in strategy.

I find that in chess, the dominant function provides a bit of character to their playing style

This actually works as a general model for thinking types in problem solving situations.

INTJ=controlling with finesse
    ENTJ=(insert adjective form of finesse) domination
    INTP=acrobatic systematizing
    ENTP=systematic acrobatics
    ISTP=aggressive systematizing
    ESTP=systematic aggression
    ISTJ=controlling with scrutiny
    ESTJ=(insert adjective form of scrutiny) domination
    Likes highlander liked this post

To here knows when... Odi et Amo's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I agree with all of this. Maybe, though, types with dominant perceiving functions have an easier time switching between Ji & Je? I for one feel as though I play chess with an Ni/Ti axis specifically. I play fluid, defensive, positional chess.
    Solitude
    Comes just as it goes
    Goes as just its umbra
    Comes

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
    ― Albert Camus

4w5/5w4/1w2, Neutral Good, RlxAI

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Odi et Amo View Post
    I agree with all of this. Maybe, though, types with dominant perceiving functions have an easier time switching between Ji & Je? I for one feel as though I play chess with an Ni/Ti axis specifically. I play fluid, defensive, positional chess.
    It is certainly plausible, there is no evidence to discount that. The dominant function usually is refined by the tertiary function (in the specific case of Pi-Ji). Specifically with Ni-Ti, it would be sort of like "Does this possibility (convergent) make logical sense to me?"

I also think shapes would adequately represent the different playing styles as well.

Ni cuts across the board sharply and directly like the hypotenuse of a right triangle (example utilized to illustrate the calculative nature of its plan)

Ne converges across the board like a contracting oval, slowly closing the distance until finally a possibility is chosen. (Akin to a tightening of the noose, I guess)

Se ravages the board with a movement like a coordinate planes' axes (much like the rook in the game itself, really)

Si (might) set a strict perimeter and border that expands to eventually encompass the opponent like the rigidity of a rectangle.

Je works like a stair-case, making strategic gains in an attempt to control the board and prevent movement anywhere but the place the staircase permits, which in this case, would be up.

Ji (possibly) works like a scatter plot, recognizing the individual points and seeing how they work in tandem with one another to figure out each points' purpose in the long run.