User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I don't think it is arrogant to realize and accept the fact and consequences of one being objectively exceptional from the norm.

I think it's important to interject here that 'exceptional' doesn't always have the same connotations it does in academia, as in 'exceptional performance', meaning 'much better than anything else'.

An exception is something that's different, that stands out for whatever reason. Not necessarily because of being better.

To me, it's a fact that N's do stand out as different. I don't think Chick is claiming that we're better. But being in a statistical minority does make something exceptional.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I would think that an N with the ability to link things and such would find it easier to adapt to an S society than vice versa... I can go along with the conversations of my S friends completely easily, but they don't have as much patience when I do something like argue that God is merely an idea which is inherently needed by human society to keep people balanced in a manner in which they can interact the best, or some other idea of that sort...

Ns may complain that it's horrible to try and fit in with Ss, but try to think about it flipped and see what you come up with It's easier to adapt to the society that you grew up in (SJ in my case) than it would be for them to adapt to a society that was the opposite or something (for instance an NTP society)

just a thought there... I think that Ns would have it easier- especially ENxPs- with the whole adapting game. I mean, you pull out the stops and let your full random glory shine and people will stare at you oddly, but if you throw a laugh in with it they'll usually laugh along and cut you some slack, deciding that you're joking and they just didn't get it... Adapting isn't that hard though- slightly stifling, but isn't that what polite society is about anyways?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

I think that's the point though whatever - that we have to adapt. That we're the ones who have to make all the effort. And it can get tiring, and lonesome. Regardless of how good I am at it
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah, but I've always thought that society was a boring place where EVERYONE has to adapt to be able to fit in to the perfect 50s style mold that's placed out there...

I'll admit that my SJ friends have a lot less trouble, but the SPs I know aren't all that fond of having to use the right napkin and avoid making sex jokes in public either

then again, I perhaps went too far and now find adapting to different situations to be a second nature by now

Filtering the way that you think for the benefit of everyone's understanding has become a lot easier with years of practice, for instance... I realize that things that I see a relationship between aren't necissarily clearly related to other people by now, and have developed a tendency to just say something like "well, I see them as being related" when questioned on my aparent random answers to things, and I've gotten pretty used to finding the person who's drunk enough to listen to me ramble on as I wish at parties by now (or used to showing enough cleavage to get away with rambling on as I wish at parties )

Having to adapt sucks, but there's really nothing that can be done about it, so I guess I'm just happy that I CAN adapt as well as I'm able to!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Dana
    Perhaps introverted judgment is the true culprit.
    Actually, I think however strongly one's introverted faculties are will (more likely) determine how much they will struggle with fitting in.

MBTI
    ENTP

Me too whatever, I agree with your point. I'm just extending it by saying that by the same token, it can get confusing when you have to be that way all the time in order to prosper, so that occasionally there's a sense of hollowness, of losing a sense of who one really is. Who would I be if I wasn't adapting to you/him/her?

The person I find I am when I take a solitary retreat for a few days/week is invariably a person who disapproves or dislikes or emerges feeling resentful sometimes, or that things must change, when I get back, as I've adapted too far and accommodated others too much, at the cost of my own inner self.

It would just be nice to have some people around who you can be yourself with, to a greater extent. Rather than people around whom you have to lose your sense of self, to get on with. Fortunately I do have such people in my life

And one of them's an S!

MBTI
    ENTP

Check out that other thread I linked to a few posts ago - you'll see there a lot of N's talking about how it feels to be an N, and relating to each other very well. I've never come across a Sensor who understands or has experienced feeling that way. I think that's what Chick's complaint rests on really... the sense of isolation that comes from the 'otherness' that I nevertheless don't think she (or I) would want to give up.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Hey, I can take it seriously in content while still having a bit of fun with the title, right?
    *rainbow graphic*

Are you trying to say this thread is... uh, gay??

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    No, I agree, I was just pointing to this specific post only. When read objectively, it is clear, concise, and makes total sense and I don't disagree with it.

I just wanted to see the vibe that other NF's got from this specific post, to see if it was similar to mine when viewed in a subjective sensitive feely way. Arrogance is also too harsh of a word, but then again pride means almost the same yet seems nicer, so we will go with a prideful tone.
    There's a twinge of arrogance simply in that he speaks as if he were an authority (near the end), rather than merely suggesting a way to view things or explaining how it works.

Other than that? BW's been far more arrogant elsewhere, I actually thought this was a pretty nifty post the first time I read it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm trying to say it's an afterschool special about differences and diversity!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm trying to say it's an afterschool special about differences and diversity!
    OH!!!!

*waves MBTIc PRIDE flag*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft