First 123 Last

Thread: Se and Si?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    It's like when you go to a movie and afterward you've forgotten most of the details but the film's "ambiance" and major events that seemed significant remain with you. That's Si.

Se is more immediate and doesn't put sensory data in any context. It's like when you "lose yourself" doing a physical process -- e.x. dancing or something.
    Errmmm, I believe we have a disagreance of definition. Si is more like photographic memory. Ni, being subjective and interpretive, is the one that makes you remember what you considered important or meaningful.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

memory is in extroverted perceiving too. the memories of a Pe user are stimulated by the outer environment; those of a Pi user are stimulated by the inner environment.

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Errmmm, I believe we have a disagreance of definition. Si is more like photographic memory. Ni, being subjective and interpretive, is the one that makes you remember what you considered important or meaningful.
    Not quite photographic memory. What dissonance said about memories stimulated via the "inner environment" is true.

From Lenore Thomson's book:

"Introverted Sensation gives us the will to accumulate information--names, dates, numbers, statistics, references, guidelines, and so forth--related to the things that matter to us. ... Such facts are highly selective. ... They're part of our self-experience. They define the specific nature of our passions and interests. They become our basis for taking in new data."

Introverted Sensation

And Ni is a different topic entirely.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Not quite photographic memory. What dissonance said about memories stimulated via the "inner environment" is true.

From Lenore Thomson's book:

"Introverted Sensation gives us the will to accumulate information--names, dates, numbers, statistics, references, guidelines, and so forth--related to the things that matter to us. ... Such facts are highly selective. ... They're part of our self-experience. They define the specific nature of our passions and interests. They become our basis for taking in new data."

Introverted Sensation

Well, I said "more like", not the same as photographic memory. Also, I brought up N because it's an obvious contrast to S.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    1w2

I'd really like to hear ISJs or SJs describe their experience of Si. Frankly, I've read the textbook descriptions before and there's nothing new to be learned.

I recently read an ISTJ describe his Si (paraphrasing) as deep knowing. He says he it's like experiencing deja vu 24/7, that you know what to do and how to move because you've already been there. I'd never heard Si described that way.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

Default more about Si

Si for me is being super meticulous about details. I laughed out loud when I read "How to experience Si" (see my previous post) because of how true it is. I am *that* inane that I care about distinguishing different kinds of cotton from one another. I'm a huge gear-head, for example (meaning I buy lots of technical/camping clothes, even though I go on scientific expeditions once every few years for grad school), so I'm concerned with whether Gore-tex is better than ripstop nylon, waterproof polyester, or other kinds of fabrics, for example. I'll spend hours pondering which fabric is better and researching parkas online to find the best one.

My Secondary is Te, which means that I'll express these Si ideas aloud to other people, and this is what tends to annoy other people about ISTJs - we state what seems to be "obvious" to everyone else. That tends to make others see us as boring conversationalists, but actually, we're just expressing our dominant Si. For example, when traveling to a new destination, I'll tend to make outward observations about the place: "This architecture evokes IM Pei" or "This reminds me of XYZ building in American City". Most people feel that statements like these are overstating the obvious, particularly Ns. Not everyone enjoys Sensing, as we've seen on this board.

Si is indeed related to our individual value systems. For example, I totally don't care about cars. On things I *do* care about, I get obsessive and can spend hours researching the ingredients of different kinds of lotion, the construction of shoes, or the differences in the 16 M-B personality types (that's why I'm here!). For me, it's a lot about matching theory to reality.

Oh yeah, and Si is pretty useful in my grad school discipline. I do biological anthropology, which requires looking at the minute differences in bones for forensic identification or reconstruction of anatomy and phylogeny and other things. However, I need N to think outside the box and be creative in my reports.

If you've seen Wall-E, the scene where WallE is trying to categorize a spork into either "fork" or "spoon" categories is good example of Si. It's all about categorizing, classifying, and systematizing. (Insert ISTJ filing joke here).
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

That sounds like me and astronomy, though I do tend to use my tertiary Si as more of a back room librarian than anything else. My Si is also one of the reasons why if I had a bad experience that is tied to a certain neighbourhood I'll actually take pains to avoid that part of town. The bad experience itself didn't happen there, but it could be the place where I first met the person with whom I later had that bad experience with. I otherwise tend to weigh my Si down with new stuff just to keep it hopping instead of retrieving the more unsightly stuff from my past.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ

I could be wrong here...

However, how I see Si in action through my boyfriend (ISFJ) is in his view of the world. I hate to use the word "close-minded", though that's probably the natural "N" view of it. Everything is judged based on a very strict personal view that is highly based on experience & past events. I also know that his judgements are very based on the facts he internally collects & puts together.

Examples?

He has a really hard time believing things about my past because he has no tangible proof that I did or didn't do something. He bases his idea of how I was when I was single and in other relationships on how HE behaved and how other girls he's known or dated behaved. The bulk of our arguments consist of information revealed about the past - especially if it doesn't match up with his morals. He also gets very bent out of shape if facts are left out & he discovers them later. He sees this as a form of lying and betrayal - he has a very hard time understanding that not everyone remembers every minute detail when re-telling a story.

Since that sounds so negative, I'll give you a positive. He is the most prepared person I've ever met. I definitely see Si put to use when he is preparing for a job. Recently, he took a second job doing something he had ever done before. On his first day of training, he asked for information he could bring home to adequately prepare for his next shift. He studied the information ridiculously & could now recite every detail of it. He tells me that he HAS to do this when starting something new because he is only comfortable with new things once he fully understands the task.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I've just recently figured out what Se is like as a shadow, and I'm also explaining it to my wife today.

The perfect exaple from recent weeks, is when I drop watermelon on the floor. It's a dark floor, so it's hard to see to begin with, and then Se is "trickster" for me, so I tend to skim over things visually, and didn't see much. So thinking I got it all, I then go into the other room. She arrives home and goes into the kitchen, and then suddenly I hear an almost screeching "There's watermelon on the floor!". I had for a while been calling her "the hawk", as she's always spotting things out of place or wrong. When I first began explaining the functions, she thought she had a high preference for Se ("taste, touch, see pretty things, etc). But in reality, it is her "witch" function. She does become very "witchy" or "critical" with it. And most of the time, she doesn't even realize she sounds like she's yelling. (She just calls it "emphasis" or "projecting her voice").
    She does have an appreciation of things looking nice, but this also drives her to tend to use Se to pick out things being wrong.

Just now as I was writing this, she brought in a can of bread crumbs, which expires next month, so she wanted me to see if it smelled OK. She said it smelled like cheese (which I didn't pick up), and then she looked, and it does have cheese in it.

So Se then works to backup Si, and tell that something is out of place. In my case, Si is more "childlike", so the Se is not used as seriously either.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

why? it's the same idea, just with abstract information instead of concrete.