• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shadow Type

yeghor

What is "The Shadow" in MBTI terms?

Who coined it that way even though it doesn't represent the shadow functions?

Which one is closer to Jung's description of the shadow?

Cause the inferior lies just next to the unconscious part of the "self"?

It's awkward cause it's weak like a left hand or foot...?

What you and I call as the shadow here is our mirror image...our (dark/bad/weak) side that we turned oyr backs on but yearn to make peace with and long to reconnect with..

I can connect with it in my daydreams and fantasies...it feels blissful...

So what nomenclature should you suggest that I use?

And who in nine hells first introduced this conflicting nomenclature in the first place?

Sent via Tapatalk

Can this be related to self actualization?

Sent via Tapatalk

Alea_iacta_est

What is "The Shadow" in MBTI terms?

Who coined it that way even though it doesn't represent the shadow functions?

Which one is closer to Jung's description of the shadow?

Cause the inferior lies just next to the unconscious part of the "self"?

It's awkward cause it's weak like a left hand or foot...?

What you and I call as the shadow here is our mirror image...our (dark/bad/weak) side that we turned oyr backs on but yearn to make peace with and long to reconnect with..

I can connect with it in my daydreams and fantasies...it feels blissful...

So what nomenclature should you suggest that I use?

And who in nine hells first introduced this conflicting nomenclature in the first place?

Sent via Tapatalk

The nomenclature I use is from the Beebe model of the 8 cognitive processes, which varies in popularity/credibility depending on who you ask.

The Hero - The Dominant Function (represents who we are as a person)
The Parent - The Auxiliary Function (represents how we relay the work of our hero to others, explanation oriented, how we deal with others)
The Child - The Tertiary Function (represents our relief function, how we find inner security, partly dabbles in creativity)
The Anima/Animus - The Inferior Function (represents what we want out of life, manifests itself as the opposite gender of the Hero)

The Anti-Hero (denoted in the Beebe model as the Opposing Personality Complex) - The Shadow Dominant Function (represents the "villainous" side of our dominant preference, actively tries to counter the Hero's move with doubts, also the opposite gender of the Hero and is referred to sometimes as the "Whore")

The Witch/Senex - The Shadow Auxiliary Function (represents how we criticize others and ourselves, we see people who use this function sort of like bad parents, scolding us for clinging to the preferred orientation; projection)

The Trickster - The Shadow Tertiary Function (represents the "evil" orientation of our child-like relief, attempts to "double-bind" us and ensnare us in its little games; we see people who use this function as the dominant as bad, possibly misguided, children attempting to trap us)

The Daemon (sometimes referred to as the Demonic Personality Complex) - The Shadow Inferior Function (represents the most suppressed portion of the personality, only arises during times of extreme stress and completely attempts to destroy the Hero through extremely negative expression)

While the shadow functions sound bad, as we progress in life, we learn that the shadow processes aren't always evil, and that they can be useful. The Anti-Hero, for instance, can alert the Hero to blind spots in reasoning or perception, the Senex/Witch can provide helpful criticism, the Trickster can be utilized humorously, a way to express our comedic side in a function we are lacking, and the Daemon can be the function that lead us to extreme self-awareness and self-objectivity. (This is another theory whose name I cannot recall, and I will attempt to find it and the positive names for the shadow functions expressed positively).

I recall the positive names now:

Hero, Parent, Child, Anima/Animus, Backup, Discovery, Comedic, Transformative

Last edited:

yeghor

The nomenclature I use is from the Beebe model of the 8 cognitive processes, which varies in popularity/credibility depending on who you ask.

The Hero - The Dominant Function (represents who we are as a person)
The Parent - The Auxiliary Function (represents how we relay the work of our hero to others, explanation oriented, how we deal with others)
The Child - The Tertiary Function (represents our relief function, how we find inner security, partly dabbles in creativity)
The Anima/Animus - The Inferior Function (represents what we want out of life, manifests itself as the opposite gender of the Hero)

The Anti-Hero (denoted in the Beebe model as the Opposing Personality Complex) - The Shadow Dominant Function (represents the "villainous" side of our dominant preference, actively tries to counter the Hero's move with doubts, also the opposite gender of the Hero and is referred to sometimes as the "Whore")

The Witch/Senex - The Shadow Auxiliary Function (represents how we criticize others and ourselves, we see people who use this function sort of like bad parents, scolding us for clinging to the preferred orientation; projection)

The Trickster - The Shadow Tertiary Function (represents the "evil" orientation of our child-like relief, attempts to "double-bind" us and ensnare us in its little games; we see people who use this function as the dominant as bad, possibly misguided, children attempting to trap us)

The Daemon (sometimes referred to as the Demonic Personality Complex) - The Shadow Inferior Function (represents the most suppressed portion of the personality, only arises during times of extreme stress and completely attempts to destroy the Hero through extremely negative expression)

While the shadow functions sound bad, as we progress in life, we learn that the shadow processes aren't always evil, and that they can be useful. The Anti-Hero, for instance, can alert the Hero to blind spots in reasoning or perception, the Senex/Witch can provide helpful criticism, the Trickster can be utilized humorously, a way to express our comedic side in a function we are lacking, and the Daemon can be the function that lead us to extreme self-awareness and self-objectivity. (This is another theory whose name I cannot recall, and I will attempt to find it and the positive names for the shadow functions expressed positively).

I recall the positive names now:

Hero, Parent, Child, Anima/Animus, Backup, Discovery, Comedic, Transformative

So what did I do wrong to draw criticism? Is there another school of thought that disagrees with this interpretation?

Sent via Tapatalk

Alea_iacta_est

So what did I do wrong to draw criticism? Is there another school of thought that disagrees with this interpretation?

Sent via Tapatalk

The "Shadow Type" you refer to in this thread is in fact the Antihero leading type (INFJ - ENFP dynamic).

Shadow Processes - Represents the juxtaposing orientation of the function stack, i.e. Ni - Fe - Ti - Se and Ne - Fi - Te - Si

"Shadow" - Represents the negative expression of the inferior and the inhibition of the dominant, i.e. Ni - Fe - Ti - Se and Se - Ti - Fe - Ni

You assumed that the desires of each type are embedded in the shadow processes and the inverted type (with the temperament made constant), when the desires of each type are generally assumed to be embodied in the Anima/Animus, while the shadow processes (when expressed negatively) actively work against the Anima/Animus and therefore desires in favor of the Demonic Personality Complex.

yeghor

I wasn't trying to blame you...just to be clear...

When I get angry, lots of hurtful remarks and swears come to the tip of my mouth?

Is this the source of my iritation with Te?

So if it remains active too long, it disintegrates the 1st function hence the self?

And why does my shadow come out in a playful manner in the forum? I guess it feels safe/relaxed enough to come out of my INFJ shell...

Is it the same for you or others?

Sent via Tapatalk

yeghor

The "Shadow Type" you refer to in this thread is in fact the Antihero leading type (INFJ - ENFP dynamic).

Shadow Processes - Represents the juxtaposing orientation of the function stack, i.e. Ni - Fe - Ti - Se and Ne - Fi - Te - Si

"Shadow" - Represents the negative expression of the inferior and the inhibition of the dominant, i.e. Ni - Fe - Ti - Se and Se - Ti - Fe - Ni

You assumed that the desires of each type are embedded in the shadow processes and the inverted type (with the temperament made constant), when the desires of each type are generally assumed to be embodied in the Anima/Animus, while the shadow processes (when expressed negatively) actively work against the Anima/Animus and therefore desires in favor of the Demonic Personality Complex.

So what does the INTJ type desire?

Sent via Tapatalk

Alea_iacta_est

I wasn't trying to blame you...just to be clear...

When I get angry, lots of hurtful remarks and swears come to the tip of my mouth?

Is this the source of my iritation with Te?

So if it remains active too long, it disintegrates the 1st function hence the self?

And why does my shadow come out in a playful manner in the forum? I guess it feels safe/relaxed enough to come out of my INFJ shell...

Is it the same for you or others?

Sent via Tapatalk

Si Demonic Personality Complex has been postulated by the theorem to include an anathema to ones' own past, regarding specific details of the past as dark and even evil. The way to destroy us INxJs is to use our past against us, which in response we will utilize our Demonic function in an attempt "to break" others (blunt weapon) when in reality it would probably wouldn't harm the other person.

For the Senex/Witch, I was too general in my explanation as "critiquing", it is closer along the lines of scolding and castigating, as if we are condescending others. When others use this function, they sort of seem condescending to us (subliminally, projection).

For Te Trickster, it would explain your source of irritation, as if you are trapped by it and can't avoid it no matter what.

The Shadow (Anima/Animus) never comes out playfully except when it is developed positively. The Shadow processes are similar, but are much less controllable.

Alea_iacta_est

So what does the INTJ type desire?

Sent via Tapatalk

It is similar to the INFJ, due to the fact that the INxJ's anima is always Se. We (will eventually) desire to fully experience life in the moment and to participate in the world.

yeghor

Si Demonic Personality Complex has been postulated by the theorem to include an anathema to ones' own past, regarding specific details of the past as dark and even evil. The way to destroy us INxJs is to use our past against us, which in response we will utilize our Demonic function in an attempt "to break" others (blunt weapon) when in reality it would probably wouldn't harm the other person.

For the Senex/Witch, I was too general in my explanation as "critiquing", it is closer along the lines of scolding and castigating, as if we are condescending others. When others use this function, they sort of seem condescending to us (subliminally, projection).

For Te Trickster, it would explain your source of irritation, as if you are trapped by it and can't avoid it no matter what.

The Shadow (Anima/Animus) never comes out playfully except when it is developed positively. The Shadow processes are similar, but are much less controllable.

Sorry by shadow, I meant my anti-hero?

Sent via Tapatalk

yeghor

What do you think Victoria's type becomes when she gets angry?

What would that suggest about her normal type?

Sent via Tapatalk

Alea_iacta_est

Sorry by shadow, I meant my anti-hero?

Sent via Tapatalk

Ne Anti-Hero counters the dominant perspective, so it should express itself negatively. However, due to the fact that in the functional stack it is one of the more developed preferences, it can be used sarcastically and ironically, sort of like a joke I guess. This is a hypothesis, I have no cited evidence to support this.

yeghor

It is similar to the INFJ, due to the fact that the INxJ's anima is always Se. We (will eventually) desire to fully experience life in the moment and to participate in the world.

Yes but that's consciously... how about unconsciously? In your daydreams and fantasies?

Sent via Tapatalk

Alea_iacta_est

Yes but that's consciously... how about unconsciously? In your daydreams and fantasies?

Sent via Tapatalk

It manifests in daydreams and fantasies by reaching objectively factual goals and measurements (Te-Se expression). To have grounded weight to possible future accomplishments.

I would also like to point out that you have been engaging me with extroverted intuition in this thread, and I do not believe it is being tempered through the anti-hero.

yeghor

I think anti-hero yearns to come out but can do so in non-reality i.e. fantasy, dreams, daydreams...

Perhaps internet feels like another non-reality to me, hence feels safe and familiar to anti-hero's natural habitat?

But why do then I become a sheepish ENFP around people I trust...?

Sent via Tapatalk

yeghor

It manifests in daydreams and fantasies by reaching objectively factual goals and measurements (Te-Se expression). To have grounded weight to possible future accomplishments.

I would also like to point out that you have been engaging me with extroverted intuition in this thread, and I do not believe it is being tempered through the anti-hero.

But these are occuring inside my head, nornaaly they are not manifested out except when I am with people that I feel safe around?

I am transcribing down my internal process as it happens... what does it mean? These are actually questions I am asking to myself... :confused:

Sent via Tapatalk

yeghor

It feels like INFJ is my mantle/armor/interface to the outside world, and there's this little ENFP inside..., and they are chatting with each other?

Like I have this 2 modes... the stern INFJ, which really feels like a superego and the silly/shepish ENFP... can't decide if the latter is id or ego?

Sent via Tapatalk

Alea_iacta_est

But these are occuring inside my head, nornaaly they are not manifested out except when I am with people that I feel safe around?

I am transcribing down my internal process as it happens... what does it mean? These are actually questions I am asking to myself... :confused:

Sent via Tapatalk

Ne valuing, as I suspected before.

yeghor

What's the most prominent theme of your fantasies?

Sent via Tapatalk