• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shadow Type

yeghor

CAVEAT: The "Shadow Type" nomenclature turned out to be a confusing one...

What I mean as the "Shadow Type" for the purpose of this thread is the exact mirror image of our normal functions in the same order...

So for INFJs:

Normal Functions Shadow Functions
Ni Ne
Fe Fi
Ti Te
Se Si

INFJ ENFP

Does our shadow type determine our inner desires?

For instance, INFJs have an ENFP shadow...Does that mean INFJs have an inner desire to be champions\inspirers\saviors? My fantasies and day-dreams revolve around such themes...so it seems to hold water in my case...

Is it the same for you?

What's your shadow type and what themes color you fantasies, desires and daydreams?

Last edited:

Alea_iacta_est

Fantasies, dreams, and desires usually manifest themselves in the tertiary and primarily the inferior function, as the shadow tertiary and shadow inferior work against the desires of the dominant hero function to work for the desires of the dominant anti-hero function (shadow dominant).

Ni dominants ultimately want to connect with the real world and experience life in the moment, they want to integrate with the world instead of always being detached from reality in the fantastical and irrational web of dynamic timelines. (Note that the younger a person is, the less they particularly focus on this goal, as the inferior function doesn't truly develop until past 28 or so.) There is a desire to be grounded, strong, and confident, and we idealize this trait in others due to our desire for it (also ties into the Socionics dual-seeking function, methinks).

To entertain the thread, however, my shadow type would be ENTP, and when I enter this state, I become excessively sociable (which I can actually accomplish rather easily when motivated, easy access to the anti-hero perhaps?) and scattered to the point where I am sputtering half-formed ideas that don't contribute anything. I can use Ne easily due to the fact that it is the opposite orientation of Ni, but it is hard to control consciously unlike Ni (in the dominant position).

yeghor

... There is a desire to be grounded, strong, and confident, and we idealize this trait in others due to our desire for it (also ties into the Socionics dual-seeking function, methinks).

To entertain the thread, however, my shadow type would be ENTP, and when I enter this state, I become excessively sociable (which I can actually accomplish rather easily when motivated, easy access to the anti-hero perhaps?) and scattered to the point where I am sputtering half-formed ideas that don't contribute anything. I can use Ne easily due to the fact that it is the opposite orientation of Ni, but it is hard to control consciously unlike Ni (in the dominant position).

To me being motivated means feeling safe from both internal and external negative feedback and hurt...then the light version of the shadow comes out...the dark version comes under stress and other negative feelings...

This video touches me in that it reminds of me rebirth and unshackling of true self....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

Sent via Tapatalk

fghw

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
ENFPs are vampires? I don't understand.

My shadow type is ENTJ. I don't think that has anything to do with my desires (although I have fantasized about absolute power).

I believe that my desire to be loved by everyone and my visions of widespread acclaim and worldwide harmony are more related to my inferior Fe. As for the tertiary, I'm not quite sure.

yeghor

ENFPs are vampires? I don't understand.

My shadow type is ENTJ. I don't think that has anything to do with my desires (although I have fantasized about absolute power).

I believe that my desire to be loved by everyone and my visions of widespread acclaim and worldwide harmony are more related to my inferior Fe. As for the tertiary, I'm not quite sure.

ENFJ Shadow?

Sent via Tapatalk

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
INFJ has ESTP shadow, not ENFP

yeghor

INFJ has ESTP shadow, not ENFP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INFJ#Shadow_functions

I become verbally not physically abusive when angry... From what I understand our shadow type is the exact mirror image of our functions...

It's what\who we yearn\aspire to be deep down inside... It's how we act when we feel safe in good, intimate company...and how we act when we are angry\stressed out...

Perhaps you can also check for yourself whether it holds true... What kind of a person do you aspire to be? And, how do you act (out) towards others when angry?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INFJ#Shadow_functions

I become verbally not physically abusive when angry... From what I understand our shadow type is the exact mirror image of our functions...

It's what\who we yearn\aspire to be deep down inside... It's how we act when we feel safe in good, intimate company...and how we act when we are angry\stressed out...

Perhaps you can also check for yourself whether it holds true... What kind of a person do you aspire to be? And, how do you act (out) towards others when angry?

Thats some new bullshit theory and no it doesent fit me and people who i have observed irl showing their shadow, its clearly inferior that it comes out the most and also through tert but not as much as the inferior. What people say on the internets i cant count because i cant know whether they even know what they are talking about when it comes to typology(also many prove themselves wrong with stuff like 8 function theory).

Shadow means the undesired traits in you that your ego wants to reject and not want to see as part of the self, stuff that is incompatible in this way with your ego(which with INFJ consists mostly of Ni and Fe if we leave other stuff out that isnt related to typology).

If you are an INFJ, i could make an assumption that you get obsessed with details(for example all the things that are wrong) and to some degree subjective logic(what the thing is that is wrong) and analyze all of it to quite a degree when you are pissed off to the point that you start to show some undesired traits of yours(shadow comes out).

Ps.
Yg6Vn6e.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Lectures-Jungs-Typology-Seminar-Marie-Louise/dp/088214104X

yeghor

Thats some new bullshit theory...

This sounds like Se...

and no it doesent fit me and people who i have observed irl showing their shadow, its clearly inferior that it comes out the most and also through tert but not as much as the inferior.

Why did you outright reject it even though I gave you a link? This may point to low F...sorry I meant N noy F....

Shadow means the undesired traits in you that your ego wants to reject and not want to see as part of the self, stuff that is incompatible in this way with your ego(which with INFJ consists mostly of Ni and Fe if we leave other stuff out that isnt related to typology).

Perhaps my most undesired traits are leaving things open-ended rather than bringing them to closure (i.e. being irresponsible/carefree)...and perhaps I can't deal with uncertainty...and self-centeredness (i.e. selfishness) and ignoring other people's distress...?

And unlike the abovegiven, Se is not something I reject/supress but smt I suck at and yearn for...I may be rejecting Si in favor of Ni though...

If you are an INFJ, i could make an assumption that you get obsessed with details(for example all the things that are wrong) and to some degree subjective logic(what the thing is that is wrong) and analyze all of it to quite a degree when you are pissed off to the point that you start to show some undesired traits of yours(shadow comes out).

So I still think my shadow is ENFP...

How do you act when your normal self cannot cope with stress?

How do you act around pepple you deeply trust and love and feel safe with?

What do you fantasize about becoming?

Sent via Tapatalk

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
This sounds like Se...

lol what? :D

Why did you outright reject it even though I gave you a link? This may point to low F...

I didnt outright reject it, i have been studying the theory(and used to believe in it) for quite a while..

Perhaps my most undesired traits are leaving things open-ended rather than bringing them to closure...and perhaps I can't deal with uncertainty...and self-centeredness and ignoring other people's distress...?

Sounds like typical INFJs ego side of things, not the shadow side.

How do you act when your normal self cannot cope with stress?

FeSi

How do you act around pepple you deeply trust and love and feel safe with?

That never happened to come in one package, but im more free to bring my NeFe on the surface with people who i can be more free with, Ne comes out easier, but Fe requires more. Basically i start to act more ESFJ/ENTP/ENFP like

What do you fantasize about becoming?

To cut out all the years of writing about my fantasies and just focusing on typological development, balancing better between Ti-Fe axis and trying to let go of too much Ti analysis when its not needed.

yeghor

lol what? :D

I didnt outright reject it, i have been studying the theory(and used to believe in it) for quite a while..

Sounds like typical INFJs ego side of things, not the shadow side.

FeSi

That never happened to come in one package, but im more free to bring my NeFe on the surface with people who i can be more free with, Ne comes out easier, but Fe requires more. Basically i start to act more ESFJ/ENTP/ENFP like

To cut out all the years of writing about my fantasies and just focusing on typological development, balancing better between Ti-Fe axis and trying to let go of too much Ti analysis when its not needed.

Describe them literally not function-wise...

Sent via Tapatalk

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
It's threads and comments like this that bring me back to the possibility that [MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION] is participating on this site as a satiric performance art piece. Seriously, the thought has occurred more than once.

*waits for mistyping comment*

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
by this logic my shadow type would be istj.

When stressed I tend to get really quiet and just kinda turn into a zombie. At the same time I can also become hypervigilant and always be super stressed out over the rules.

L

LadyLazarus

Aaaah no that would mean my shadow type would be ESFJ, nonononono.:shocking:

I much prefer ENTJ as my shadow,I can see it a lot more too when I'm under stress(I become very cold, serious, stark barking out orders, and I become very very smug when arguing, like I'm just playing with the other person and I already know the outcome or something. So basically I get into "all business" mode.), I never see ESFJ at all, I'll pass on this theory thanks.

yeghor

It's threads and comments like this that bring me back to the possibility that [MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION] is participating on this site as a satiric performance art piece. Seriously, the thought has occurred more than once.

*waits for mistyping comment*

What's your blissful ideal WB? Which ideal/personality do you aspire to? Do you aspire to be a champion/saviour of people?

by this logic my shadow type would be istj.

When stressed I tend to get really quiet and just kinda turn into a zombie. At the same time I can also become hypervigilant and always be super stressed out over the rules.

Does it hold true for your innermost desire? To be super tight with money or something else like an ISTJ? When with trusted ones do you sheepishly act like ISTJ? Is your type ESTP or ISTP though?

Sent via Tapatalk

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
What's your blissful ideal WB? Which ideal/personality do you aspire to? Do you aspire to be a champion/saviour of people?

Does it hold true for your innermost desire? To be super tight with money or something else like an ISTJ? When with trusted ones do you sheepishly act like ISTJ? Is your type ESTP or ISTP though?

Sent via Tapatalk

Im estp. not the happy go lucky e7 kind, Im better at being a fun sponge. Im extremely tight with money because I am an entrepreneur in a phase of my life where every action is calculated.

yeghor

Aaaah no that would mean my shadow type would be ESFJ, nonononono.:shocking:

I much prefer ENTJ as my shadow,I can see it a lot more too when I'm under stress(I become very cold, serious, stark barking out orders, and I become very very smug when arguing, like I'm just playing with the other person and I already know the outcome or something. So basically I get into "all business" mode.), I never see ESFJ at all, I'll pass on this theory thanks.

Tsunderes, does your deep, innermost desire correlate with ENTJ shadow, to be stronger than everyone else, to subjugate others to your will...? Do you daydream about it? If not, what do you daydream about when you phase out of present?

L

LadyLazarus

Tsunderes, does your deep, innermost desire correlate with ENTJ shadow, to be stronger than everyone else, to subjugate others to your will...? Do you daydream about it? If not, what do you daydream about when you phase out of present?

To be stronger than everyone else; most definitely yes.
To subjugate others to my will; under stress, yes, not under stress, no.

I mostly daydream about becoming great and admirable, successful, notorious, unlike any other, strong enough to crush those who have wronged me, I also daydream about love the other half of the time.