• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shadow Type

yeghor

Mmm...

This is the first time I have talked to him.

I am wary to type people I don't know all that well (unless it is blatantly obvious to me).

I don't really see the value in that INFJ vs INFP technique, anyway: I mean, why can't it just be said that he's ignoring reality?

Distinguishing between "ignoring reality" and "ignoring the facts and evidence" is a very confusing distinction, imo.

Dang, it makes perfect sense in my head so far...:(

Perhaps it'll turn out to be as you say in future though....

Alea_iacta_est

Mmm...

This is the first time I have talked to him.

I am wary to type people I don't know all that well (unless it is blatantly obvious to me).

I don't really see the value in that INFJ vs INFP technique, anyway: I mean, why can't it just be said that he's ignoring reality?

Distinguishing between "ignoring reality" and "ignoring the facts and evidence" is a very confusing distinction, imo.

The difference lies within the avoidance,

Se avoidance would be the denial of present trends in favor of future models, clinging to what the future has already predicted to be and ignoring present information that could change those trends. You would only see this in topics related to future trends, present information, and past lessons.

Te avoidance would be the denial of empirical, objective facts placed in front of the person, making them cling to their understanding of the situation and ignore evidence or opinions provided by others in favor of the subjective rational function. You would only see this in topics regarding knowledge, frameworks, and values.

yeghor

:doh:

This feels like watching Frankenstein's monster being put together...

I look on in fascination, but am also tempted to vomit at times.

Also, how did I *know* House was gunna get dragged into this?

You don't think House is an INTJ do you?

yeghor

That is a very flawed view of INTJs vs ENTPs.

Nothing about that description need to apply to INTJs, nor ENTPs.

Do you understand that you regularly make all kinds of flawed/false connections/associations?

Aren't INTJs more pro-establishment and ENTPs more anti-establishment? Which one does House seem to fit more?

Cause INTJs would be more super-ego dominant hence more fearful of the external environment...They would be dependent on external structures (like Te) to thrive on...

Whereas ENTPs would be more id-dominant hence less fearful of the external environment...They would try to bend the environment to their wishes\will\preferences...Like bukowski (though he was an ESTP I guess)...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Dang, it makes perfect sense in my head so far...:(

Important point: just cuz something makes sense in your head, doesn't mean it accurately reflects external reality.

Perhaps it'll turn out to be as you say in future though....

I almost assure you it will.

You don't think House is an INTJ do you?

I think something very much along the lines of what Eck said.

Aren't INTJs more pro-establishment and ENTPs more anti-establishment?

Even if they were, which they necessarily aren't, that is a measure of relativity, not absolution.

If both INTJs and ENTPs can be highly anti-establishment, then can this at all be used as a relevant way to type House?

Cause INTJs would be more super-ego dominant hence more fearful of the external environment...They would be dependent on external structures (like Te) to thrive on...

Once again, a bunch of bullshit connection-making.

Whereas ENTPs would be more id-dominant hence less fearful of the external environment...They would try to bend the environment to their wishes\will\preferences...

And apparently we got a second helping...

Trying to bend the environment to their will... honestly, that doesn't sound potentially applicable to an INTJ to you?

You really need to learn to evaluate/second-guess your own thoughts before you just blurt them out/believe them.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

Se avoidance would be the denial of present trends in favor of future models, clinging to what the future has already predicted to be and ignoring present information that could change those trends. You would only see this in topics related to future trends, present information, and past lessons.

Te avoidance would be the denial of empirical, objective facts placed in front of the person, making them cling to their understanding of the situation and ignore evidence or opinions provided by others in favor of the subjective rational function. You would only see this in topics regarding knowledge, frameworks, and values.

I find the bolded to be highly suspect.

You're telling me that INFJs can't have the same problem when discussing knowledge, frameworks, and values?

Nor that INFPs can't have the same problems when discussing future trends, present information, and past lessons?

Those aren't two mutually exclusive domains -- there is plenty of crossover -- and, as such, the construction is not that useful.

yeghor

Here we go... These women look sexually appealing to me....What type are they?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread is completely all over the place

Alea_iacta_est

I find the bolded to be highly suspect.

You're telling me that INFJs can't have the same problem when discussing knowledge, frameworks, and values?

Nor that INFPs can't have the same problems when discussing future trends, present information, and past lessons?

Those aren't two mutually exclusive domains -- there is plenty of crossover -- and, as such, the construction is not that useful.

You are right, it would be highly improbable that it would be restricted to certain domains, apologies for misinformation on my part.

Alea_iacta_est

Analyze them to find my anima function...

Your anima function is Te (or also plausible, Si).

You are asking me to use V.I., and that's completely absurd.

There is one conclusion to be drawn from here, and that is your utilization of strong Ji.

yeghor

Important point: just cuz something makes sense in your head, doesn't mean it accurately reflects external reality.

Agreed... I keep tempering it though... It's not finalized... Any raw idea I put forward, I expect others to challenge and give feedback so I can temper it further as I deem necessary...

Even if they were, which they necessarily aren't, that is a measure of relativity, not absolution.

If both INTJs and ENTPs can be highly anti-establishment, then can this at all be used as a relevant way to type House?

INTJs work within the system... If they are to go against the status-quo, they would do it from within the system... they are attached to the framework... they tap into it... they rely on the system... they try to restructure it permanently...

ENTPs work outside the system... They try to create an independent pocket inside the system so as to remain detached from it... They milk\manipulate the system momentarily... I guess they actually abhor becoming dependent on the system... but want to rely on themselves more...

And apparently we got a second helping...

Trying to bend the environment to their will... honestly, that doesn't sound potentially applicable to an INTJ to you?

You really need to learn to evaluate/second-guess your own thoughts before you just blurt them out/believe them.

ENTPs bend it to their will and don't care what happens to it once they leave that environment... INTJs try to bend the environment to their will permanently, whether they remain there or not...the latter establishes a collective system... the former does not...

An INTJ would formally negotiate the parameters of his\her work environment with the relevant authority and would justify it with facts... whereas House tries to do whatever he desires or deems necessary without regard to relevant authority and without any justification... He doesn't feel a need to justify himself or follow existing chain of command or procedures (i.e. the system)...

Anyway, just my opinions... This is not the actual topic of the thread...but somehow related indirectly...

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
^ Makes sense to Fi due to the rapidity of connection-making you have been doing, also illustrating Ne.

Look at your post style over the past few pages.

FWIW or not, I've not once thought "yeghor is INFP" in this discussion or at any other time in any interaction or observation of him. While I'm not some sort of authority on who is or isn't INFP, I do have pretty intense experience with the INFP/INFJ differences as they play out in my closest personal relationship, and I have had to work pretty hard to understand the INFP cognitive function stack. Of course, everyone is different and cognitive processes are only part of the picture in any of us. I've also had pretty close personal connections with several other Fi doms (ISFP and/or INFP), though that was before I knew about MBTI and is me thinking about it in retrospect.

So all of that said, for what it is or isn't worth: I've not once had the thought that yeghor is a Fi dom.

[edit]

Clearly a mistyped INFP.

Hmmm, two people think that? I wonder why it didn't ping my radar at all as such. I know my experience is limited, but seriously - I've seen my partner under all sorts of stress. I've seen her in a Fi-Si loop, I've seen her in scary hardcore ruts created by Te-inf feeding Fi, and other stuff I don't have clear words for ... and none of it has had anything like the display and energy that yeghor has been doing here.

:doh:

This feels like watching Frankenstein's monster being put together...

I look on in fascination, but am also tempted to vomit at times.

The Frankenstein monster's analogy resonates somewhat with what I've been observing. (as does the fascination/vomit response)

Another metaphor that's come up for me about how yeghor deals with information is a funnel cloud like in a tornado. The cloud hungrily (in this case, actually kind of desperately) sucks people's energy and information into itself, crudely reduces everything it sucks in into tiny pieces of debris, and spits the debris out several miles away from where it started (for clarity: I don't know if that's exactly how real funnel clouds work, it's just a metaphor for me, using funnel cloud as an anchor to put words to an inner dynamic image).

This is a lost cause.

Well yeah, there's that.

There is one conclusion to be drawn from here, and that is your utilization of strong Ji.

Is an unhealthy Ti-dom situation possible in your view? Or would it have to be Fi?

Note:[edit] as I think I mentioned in another comment earlier in the thread, the problem I have with that is that yeghor's comments on this site about Ni so very often seriously miss the mark of what that function is and it's really hard for me to get my understanding around a Ni-dom who IMO so clearly and persistently demonstrates that he does not understand what Ni actually is. There are lots of examples of this in various threads, and it shows up in different ways, but here's an example that I noticed yesterday from another thread:

And here's a quick indicator for high N, do you daydream and fantasize a lot? As for Ni, do you have an overdeveloped inner critic that constantly berates you for your shortcomings and mistakes, lowering your self-esteem?

Now, I personally don't think that yeghor is actually talking about introverted intuition at all, I think he's mapping something unrelated to introverted intuition by the name of this cognitive process as part of whatever is off in how he's dealing with external information/reality.

And, too, I don't know what I think of the Beebe and/or Behrens-Nardi shadow function stuff one way or another, so I may be using it wrong (someone please correct me if so).

But for the sake of "why not" and playing with the concepts a bit ... if by some (unlikely IMO) chance yeghor is actually talking about how he experiences actual Ni in that quote above, and if the shadow function stuff is right, would Ni as described/experienced above be in the critical parent and/or senex position, the 6th function in the stack? And if that were the case

*off to look at which types have Ni in that position*

Well, damn, knock me over with a feather - INFP and INTP.

I just - I myself really cannot see INFP for yeghor. Not saying I'm right (I may not be) but sheesh, I'd think there'd be something recognizable to me as INFP somewhere in there. And while I don't know him personally, I have had some sustained PM discussions with him, various interactions in various threads, and even discussed some of the dynamics with my INFP partner.

Anyway, for me the MBTI/typing stuff is more idle curiosity and playing with concepts than anything substantive in this case. My take is: Whatever the situation, whatever the type, something is very very wrong/twisted/distorted, IMO something that isn't directly sourced to cognitive processes (though it may be using cognitive processes somehow). I do wonder if the specifics of that will come out into the open in a clearly named way. And yeah, like [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] said, "I look on in fascination, but am also tempted to vomit at times."

Last edited by a moderator:

yeghor

I think our conscious self (our MBTI type) resembles the "interface (JARVIS)" (the heads up display screen not the robot) in the belowgiven clip whereas our unconscious self (compromised of shadow functions) resembles the pilot... However, I believe, contrary to the portrayal in the clip, the interface (at least initially) has more control (i.e. more conscious) whereas the pilot has less control (i.e. less conscious, or unconscious)...

But Tony Stark is definitely in there somewhere although our conscious self may not be readily aware of it...

Edit: Actually the suit might represent our body and JARVIS our conscious self (MBTI Type) and the pilot the unconscious self...

Last edited:

Alea_iacta_est

[MENTION=20789]Werebudgie[/MENTION], It didn't "ping your radar" because yeghor is attempting to imitate an INFJ, thus attempting to sweep Fi-Ne or Ne-Fi under the rug or attempting to attune Ne to the caricature of the INFJ.

Alea_iacta_est

I think our conscious self (our MBTI type) resembles the "interface (JARVIS)" (the heads up display screen not the robot) in the belowgiven clip whereas our unconscious self (compromised of shadow functions) resembles the pilot... However, I believe, contrary to the portrayal in the clip, the interface (at least initially) has more control (i.e. more conscious) whereas the pilot has less control (i.e. less conscious, or unconscious)...

But Tony Stark is definitely in there somewhere although our conscious self may not be readily aware of it...

Ne - Si axis of perception reasoning. Ne - Analogies, Si - Familiar Perceptions.

Also interrelation tracking indicative of an analogous way.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
@Werebudgie, It didn't "ping your radar" because yeghor is attempting to imitate an INFJ, thus attempting to sweep Fi-Ne or Ne-Fi under the rug or to attune Ne to the caricature of the INFJ.

Possible. In the past, I've only seen INTPs do that (hardcore imitating INFJ as their type) using Ti. I agree that there's a caricature feel to yeghor's self presentation, that fits with my "is this satirical performance art?" thing.

But I still can't yet get my head around: how on earth would Fi-Ne or Ne-Fi yield the kind of weird stuff we're seeing here? (I know that may be a stupid question, I just can't seem to get a bead on this yet)