User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

A big mistake people make is that they think Jungian type is about personality type, it is not. It is about one's PSYCHOLOGICAL type. 2 people with the same psychological type can score very differently on the Big 5 personality inventory because of differences in upbringing and life experience. For example, Here in the Upper-Midwestern US, the land of Minnesota Nice, people are much more likely to score high in agreeableness. Indeed, there was a study a few years ago that had North Dakota and Minnesota and #1 and #2 when it comes to Agreeableness, that doesn't mean the vast majority of Minnesotans and North Dakotans are Feelers. a T and an F can both score high or low on agreeableness. Indeed, I suspect that Fi-Doms can often be very low in agreeableness because of their very strong and unshakable system of values that makes them not do the whole "live and let live" thing.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

I think a lot of damage is being done by the system itself, not just by amateurs. The rules themselves lead to wrong results, even when followed correctly. My brain will fry if I try to remember how it works, but there's some crap about 'If your first function is sensing, then, actually, that means your SECOND function is sensing,' or something of that sort. So, you follow that rule, reverse everything and change it to its opposite, and, voila! You get thrown into your opposing socionics quadra with people who hate you! This particular broken rule in the system bothers me greatly, and I view it as far more damaging than amateurs mistyping people.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

To make official experts in personality typing, it would have to be like other licensed professions (which, by the way, can still do things horribly wrong for an extremely long time, like modern medicine). Someone would not be allowed to practice the profession at all, or get thrown in jail, unless they had a license. A licensing authority would distribute the licenses, for a very large fee. You would have to be extremely profitable in your profession to be able to afford the exorbitant licensing costs and the insurance and the other regulations.

So, personality typing would have to be extremely profitable somehow - perhaps a monopolized government job. The government could type people and then put them into their mandatory life professions or something. Typing people accurately wouldn't matter - all that would matter is that you had your license and you went to the right school and paid the right fees and worked for the right employer. So what if you made horrible mistakes and people got thrown into the wrong mandatory life professions - you're covered by the authorities backing you up.

You would not be allowed to use the words 'personality' or 'typing' when you advertised your products and services, or get thrown in jail (as people are not allowed to use the word 'cure' when advertising health-related products or services).

Mistyped people who got thrown into the wrong life professions would have to file a plea with the government to be put into a different profession. We would be forbidden to change our own type, and would have to request (and pay for) the services of a licensed professional typist to prove that we needed to have a different type.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Bart View Post
    So I've thought about this a little more and I'm in a better mood today since the sun's finally out again! What's liberating about type is the recognition that we don't all have to live up to the same expectations personality-wise -- things like we'd all be happier and healthier if we were extroverts or try to emulate SJ-like standards of responsibility or whatever (sorry if I've offended anyone -- the whole concept really is offensive!) So learning that people have different strengths that we have to respect, even if they're not things we particularly value in ourselves is the primary value of MBTI. It also works the other way, especially in the case of minority types (the 1- or 2% of the population types) . They have to learn to respect and value thiemselves for the strengths they naturally have rather than for what other people tell them is to be valued. So if an INTP with lots of issues is mistyped as an INTJ, then he's packed into yet another mold that forces him to conform to values and standards that don't fit him or serve him well and he's yet again not free to value himself as he is and develop the truly valuable functions that come to him naturally.
    (Sorry -- I usually don't have the patience to watch videos, so if I'm just repeating something that's already been said, just ignore me!)
    The video was just a slap to the face of amateur typologists with a side-swipe at Kiersey. In other words, it was standard stuff. The "professional" in the video said nothing about socionics, his only other professional target was Kiersey. All he said was that to be a professional typologist means erecting a shingle outside his front door and doing it for a living. He also asserted that typology (aka "psyche-type" which is pronounced "sayk-type") is a serious profession. However, professional astrologers and palm-readers also take their professions very seriously, so seen in the light of that context his assertion is rendered meaningless.

The sub-heading (or whatever it's called) in the video also stated that the "self" is equivalent with your "spiritual essence" (3:25). However, a truly spiritual approach has always required the denial of the self in order to discover one's spiritual essence (q.v., every religion that ever existed).

I agree with @highlander that the truth may eventually bubble to the surface. But from the video he posted, it doesn't appear that "psyche-type" will be the one.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”