User Tag List

First 234

Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: MBTI criticism?

  1. #31
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post


    Hm. I'll be honest. I've only read a few of the studies on MBTI reliability. Like you said, they're very unconvincing.

    I've never read tests regarding validity because I can't really think of a test that would validate an instrument like this, which is essentially descriptive. Like you said yourself, it's not a scientific theory. In that case, though, what is there to validate?
    Hm... I read a bit about it in a personality psychology course I did, but have forgotten a bit and will need to read up to give a thorough answer. I remember they did one test where they wanted to test the validity of type descriptions (with the forer effect in mind I guess) and found that people would respond positively to several descriptions even if they weren't all that close to their test result type. Hm... ok, I've forgot most of it, I'll read my books tomorrow and see if I can't give a better answer.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

  2. #32
    Senior Member Ilah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Hm... I read a bit about it in a personality psychology course I did, but have forgotten a bit and will need to read up to give a thorough answer. I remember they did one test where they wanted to test the validity of type descriptions (with the forer effect in mind I guess) and found that people would respond positively to several descriptions even if they weren't all that close to their test result type. Hm... ok, I've forgot most of it, I'll read my books tomorrow and see if I can't give a better answer.
    When I read the INTP description on the site that is linked with INTPcentral, I identified very strongly with it. Out of a couple of paragraphs, I only found one sentance that didn't seem to fit. This was why I first did myself as an INTP rather than INTJ.

    I have a question for all those who are posting negative things about the test. Why do you particpate in this site if you don't agree with the MB? I don't mean this to be a confrontational thing. I am not suggesting people should leave if they don't like the test. I am just curious.

    Is it because you enjoy the discussions with people here? Is it because you find you have a lot in common or can get along better with those of your type or similiar type? Is it because the MB is the most accurate of the various personality tests, all of which are flawed? Is it because the ennegram doesn't have a nifty on-line group like us?

    Ilah

  3. #33
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    After you've been here a while discussing "types" becomes boring. I think Rajah said once that you can only discuss one subject for so long and then some people find that they don't really have anything else in common. We then form bonds and so on.

    I am really starting to believe what my husband always tells me and thats, MBTI is an indicator, nothing more. That being said welcome to MBTIc, hope you'll hang around for a while.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    I'm quite new to the MBTI stuff, but I find it to be a very good tool for understanding a person who is very different from myself. I found it to be uncannily accurate in predicting what the person is likely to find appealing.

    The system might not have been rigorously proven, but it's good enough to be useful in real life, at least for me.

  5. #35
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    [QUOTE=BlueWing;252765]
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I've got a new one I was thinking about today. It's a little on the mystical side, though.
    Why are your quotes always screwed up?

    This is merely an example of our coping mechanism concerning application of systematic thinking towards what appears to be a chaotic world. This is a remark concerning systematic thought which is synonymous with logical thought as well as is the cornerstone to sciences and philosophy.
    What's your point? (Asking honestly, not just to dismiss you.)

    MBTI contains deep flaws, and ought to be rejected for the reasons depicted in my previous post. In order to gain reliable insight into typology one must conduct a critical overview of Jung's writings and purge them of the errors innate in his system. Obviously its unreliable at this point as the ideas behind the system of MBTI are untenable, yet could be rendered tenable through careful revision.
    I don't know if you can cure something like test-retest reliability by reworking the theory. The test simply asks for your preferences, and preferences change, even though personality theory is built around a presumption of constancy.

    Introversion and Extroversion temperaments are empirically falsifiable. Thinking/Feeling and Intuition/Sensation will be as cognitive sciences advance further. (I've commented on why this is the case in my longer post)
    Maybe we're not connected on what falsifiable means. I think MBTI isn't falsifiable because it makes no prediction, or, any prediction it makes is tautological. It asks you to characterize yourself as a thinker or feeler, and then tells you you're a thinker or feeler. Where's the falsifiability there?

  6. #36
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    What's your point? (Asking honestly, not just to dismiss you.)?

    My point was that it is not only MBTI that organizes the world into a structure of a sort. We should not complain about this. All systems do this. And in order for you to reason systematically (which is necessary for clear-thinking and having a reliable way to know things), you will do just that.



    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I don't know if you can cure something like test-retest reliability by reworking the theory. The test simply asks for your preferences, and preferences change, even though personality theory is built around a presumption of constancy..)?
    A test is not a reliable way to assess how one's unconscious mind tends to function.

    For the sake of applied typology, it should be noted that temperaments tend not to change much. We are naturally more comfortable and have more aptitude for one way of functioning than the other. We may be good at both however. The test may lead us to illusory beliefs about what our type is because it tends to confuse what we are good at, for what we naturally gravitate towards.

    Because study of temperament is concerned with the former and not the latter, this is not a personality theory.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] mbti book recommendation for my nephew
    By rocco in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2017, 08:27 PM
  2. MBTI appeal of Death Note anime?
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 12-25-2015, 03:42 PM
  3. Criticisms of MBTI
    By highlander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2013, 05:55 PM
  4. MBTI & FFM correlations?
    By marm in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-09-2009, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO