User Tag List

LadyLazarus

Default SJ's and the school system

I feel like the U.S. public school system was designed for SJ's, it's all about becoming successful through hard work.

It rewards hard work and consistency above curiosity and risk taking.Most of the kids in Honors classes, I've come to notice are SJ's, the valedictorian at my high school graduation was an ISTJ.

I think that's what gives most other types the short end of the stick when it comes to the school system, especially SP's and NTP's.

I also think the amount of rules placed upon students can be suffocating for P's most of all, as I think a large part of the fact that I am doing eons better now that I am in college than I ever did in high school is because they let me do my own thing, they don't try to hold my hand for everything or tell me when/where to be/ what I can or can't do, for the most part.

On the other hand all of the dumb, pointless, rules enforced upon me during high school stifled me and made me want to act out all the more.

To put it in short they treated me like an immature kid so I responded like one.

Anyway, not saying that rewarding hard work is bad thing at all or that SJ's don't deserve to be successful, but I think it kind of screws over the other types who may have different learning styles/ work ethics.

So...thoughts?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

The school system is basically preparing us for the work system, which is the same way. (At least many traditional workplaces, or ones that are "safety sensitive" like transportation, and thus must have strict rules).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

WALMART

School systems are geared for (Jungian) extroverts.

In fact, Jung thought Si/Ni types were precisely indicative of how society needs alernative forms of learning.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    School systems are geared for (Jungian) extroverts.

In fact, Jung thought Si/Ni types were precisely indicative of how society needs alernative forms of learning.
    Yeah, as a strong introvert, I recall being especially anxious/ turned off by group activities, forced group discussion, forced participation (which was a small portion of how you were graded... but only a few teachers did that), group projects. But, this is likely a format extroverts really like... so... that's the tricky part of education... no single format will appeal to all students.

To the OP - honestly I think this really varies by school, and maybe just the times now, vs. when I was in high school 20 yrs ago, I imagine there are a lot of changes, maybe more strict now. I don't recall having issues around the structure, stifling rules, hand holding, and so on.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

LadyLazarus

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Yeah, as a strong introvert, I recall being especially anxious/ turned off by group activities, forced group discussion, forced participation (which was a small portion of how you were graded... but only a few teachers did that), group projects. But, this is likely a format extroverts really like... so... that's the tricky part of education... no single format will appeal to all students.

To the OP - honestly I think this really varies by school, and maybe just the times now, vs. when I was in high school 20 yrs ago, I imagine there are a lot of changes, maybe more strict now. I don't recall having issues around the structure, stifling rules, hand holding, and so on.
    Yeah, I agree all that group work was really stressful for me too.I also feel the community aspect of school caters more towards extroverts.

Yes, I think things might have changed a bit since then.