• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is everyone an INFJ nowadays?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honestly, the only way I can see it working is if it is clearly indicated as rant and if there are, I guess, definitions for what that entails (god help me, I seriously am turning Ti :doh:). What I mean is, if you want to rant about something and find support, acceptance and a listening ear, you should be able to do so in a safe zone with people understanding that. That also means you forfeit the right of actually investigating that claim, experience, or rant as an objective truth. You can do that later - many people seem to go through a process of first purging, then feeling understood, and because of that being able to understand the other side as well and then have a need to debate in what way this takes place and why, so it is a natural progression. At that point, one could start a new thread, once one is ready for such a place. Once you go to phase two, it is best to use curiosity and detachment and an open mind to research it, to keep miscommunication, escalation and heated arguments flying everywhere - in other words, there the safe haven will not extend in order to prevent platforming and spreading personal opinions as truths.
This is possible within the new Support and Advice forum. OPs are invited to specify what kind of input they are looking for, presuming they want responses as opposed to a one-off post in the Rant Thread. If the OP's needs and interests change, he/she can modify the initial rules of engagement, or start a new thread. This can also be in Support and Advice, or in another section of TypoC, especially if the conversation has become less personal and more abstract/general, and therefore suitable for debate and critique.

As for practical application - just report someone who steps out of the bounds of the thread.
The intention is to moderate Support and Advice more closely than other sections here, and to be particularly responsive to concerns of the OP. If a thread completely deteriorates, it may be deleted at the request of the OP, unlike threads elsewhere.

Frankly, I'm not sure how enforceable that would be though, and at some point this stuff does become a judgement call.
You seem to be suggesting parallel threads on a given topic: one for ranting, one for more reasoned debate and discussion. I'm not sure this is practical, as it can quickly get unwieldy. At least suggest starting with the most immediate need, then making additional threads later as OP interests and the general discussion evolve.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP and INFJ are one of those unmentionables since the Great Battle of INFP vs. INFJ unfolded years ago. You have to be there to understand why there is a weirdness to it... unless you were there when it happened. :D

:laugh: I was probably lurking about when it was happening. Honestly I tend not to pay too much attention to the bash a type thread they all start to look alike after a while; there always so unoriginal.

Anyway I have the perfect theme song for this thread.

L

LadyLazarus

you mean INTJ
GDI why did you have to resurrect my piece of shit thread?!:dont:

Also, to answer your post no, I wrote INFJ in the title because I meant INFJ, but judging by your post count you're new here; soon you'll see what I mean.

Alea_iacta_est

you mean INTJ

You just walked into an INFJ witch hunt thread typed as an INFJ with a post count of like 20? That's brave.

Oh, and the INTJ surge is more present on PerC at the moment than it is here. This forum is more INFx inclined but still has a substantial numbers of INxxs in general.

á´…eparted

passages
You just walked into an INFJ witch hunt thread typed as an INFJ with a post count of like 20? That's brave.

Oh, and the INTJ surge is more present on PerC at the moment than it is here. This forum is more INFx inclined but still has a substantial numbers of INxxs in general.

The internet has a substantial number of INxx's in general. Way more so than the "commonly known" stats would suggest.

Alea_iacta_est

The internet has a substantial number of INxx's in general. Way more so than the "commonly known" stats would suggest.

I know. Even though INFJs make up only 1% of the population of the United States, that would still mean there are 3,300,000 of them. Factor in other details such as Ni, Fi, and Ti motivations for understanding esoteric systems and the availability of the internet and we reach an interesting conclusion.

Doomkid

I know. Even though INFJs make up only 1% of the population of the United States, that would still mean there are 3,300,000 of them. Factor in other details such as Ni, Fi, and Ti motivations for understanding esoteric systems and the availability of the internet and we reach an interesting conclusion.

I don't trust these statistics so much I mean...10% of the population ISTJ? cmon..when was the last time you saw an ISTJ/ISTP?

á´…eparted

passages
Today. (2 for ISTJ, 1 for ISTP)

Or do you mean on the internet?

I'm looking around on google scholar trying to see if there are studies that have looked into commonality, but I didn't really see anything that look explicitly into this. I'm also not looking terribly hard. Either way, it's always seemed to me like type frequency has been a lot of hear-say and not much else.

Alea_iacta_est

I'm looking around on google scholar trying to see if there are studies that have looked into commonality, but I didn't really see anything that look explicitly into this. I'm also not looking terribly hard. Either way, it's always seemed to me like type frequency has been a lot of hear-say and not much else.

It really is simply here-say, but it is the best estimate we have on hand, and I was using it to illustrate a point. (That point being that even if INFJs actually did compromise 1% of the population, 1% still yields a somewhat large number of people.)

It would be safe to say that the INFJ personality is more realistically greater than 1 or 2% of the population based simply on probability, to gather a 1% estimate off of a small testing sample yields suspicion.

We also must consider the fact that these statistics were derived from dichotomy based testing, which is shunned here.

á´…eparted

passages
It really is simply here-say, but it is the best estimate we have on hand, and I was using it to illustrate a point. (That point being that even if INFJs actually did compromise 1% of the population, 1% still yields a somewhat large number of people.)

It would be safe to say that the INFJ personality is more realistically greater than 1 or 2% of the population based simply on probability, to gather a 1% estimate off of a small testing sample yields suspicion.

What I was able to find was the following citation: "Estimated frequencies of the MBTI types" M.H. McCaulley, G.P. Macdaid, R.I. Kainz, Journal of Psychological Type, 1985, 45. Several papers cite this as well, but there seems to be some inconsistency with the journal authors which raises a few alarm bells. The biggest that Elizabeth Meyers was supposadly part of this. Sadly, my university does not have access to this paper, and when I go to the journal site itself, it doesn't seem to list it. There's lots of studies for type frequencies within various situations, careers, etc. but that would take A LOT of work to aggregate all that (and even then I suspect it would be incomplete), and I don't have the time.

I just like hard evidence for satistics and stuff :D.

Alea_iacta_est

What I was able to find was the following citation: "Estimated frequencies of the MBTI types" M.H. McCaulley, G.P. Macdaid, R.I. Kainz, Journal of Psychological Type, 1985, 45. Several papers cite this as well, but there seems to be some inconsistency with the journal authors which raises a few alarm bells. The biggest that Elizabeth Meyers was supposadly part of this. Sadly, my university does not have access to this paper, and when I go to the journal site itself, it doesn't seem to list it. There's lots of studies for type frequencies within various situations, careers, etc. but that would take A LOT of work to aggregate all that (and even then I suspect it would be incomplete), and I don't have the time.

I just like hard evidence for satistics and stuff :D.

Nonetheless, said statistics illustrate the copious amounts of INFJs in the United States at the exact minimum, and have some weight since they are "commonly-accepted" to be true.

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't trust these statistics so much I mean...10% of the population ISTJ? cmon..when was the last time you saw an ISTJ/ISTP?

If I just went by outward appearance and behavior--what is observable--I could conclude that a good number of my co-workers are either type.