• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is everyone an INFJ nowadays?

G

Ginkgo

Functions do not. However, whether a function is introverted or extroverted determines how much inertia a person would put into them.

An Fe-user will alter his personal values if they put the people he cares for in jeopardy.
An Fi-user will behave in ways unacceptable to others if his belief system demands it.

A Te-user will change his reasoning based on the facts.
A Ti-user will stay convinced he is right based on his own logic.

Are you illustrating a correspondence between a "transcendental reality" and the subjective confines of introverted functions?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Functions do not. However, whether a function is introverted or extroverted determines how much inertia a person would put into them.

An Fe-user will alter his personal values if they put the people he cares for in jeopardy.
An Fi-user will behave in ways unacceptable to others if his belief system demands it.

A Te-user will change his reasoning based on the facts.
A Ti-user will stay convinced he is right based on his own logic.

which are you?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's funny because what was egoistically hardest for me to let go of in my typing process was Fi. But not witch hunt hard. I've never understood how some can feel defensive over the possibility of being mistyped. When people suggest it to me, I'm just intrigued by their feedback and enjoy reading up on it even if I conclude in the end that it isn't correct.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

Wow. That reminds me of patterns I saw in junior high school (everyone having to take a turn to be picked on). I wonder what it is about this site that creates that pattern. Seems like it can only be an obstruction to useful dialogue and learning.

eta: this explains the underneath edge of masked competitive mean-ness at the collective (type) level that I've vaguely perceived on this site.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow. That reminds me of patterns I saw in junior high school (everyone having to take a turn to be picked on). I wonder what it is about this site that creates that pattern. Seems like it can only be an obstruction to useful dialogue and learning.

I personally think it is cos people don't always indicate when they are ranting. People need to rant, and what better place to do it than on an internet forum. However, those rants inevitably lead to generalisations, things that were said in the heat of the moment that then get taken as true 'statements' to be challenged, which leads to bashing and butthurt on both sides.

If people just indicated that what will follow is a rant, things would be a lot less complicated and convoluted, I feel.

L

LadyLazarus

It's funny because what was egoistically hardest for me to let go of in my typing process was Fi. But not witch hunt hard. I've never understood how some can feel defensive over the possibility of being mistyped. When people suggest it to me, I'm just intrigued by their feedback and enjoy reading up on it even if I conclude in the end that it isn't correct.

I think it may be because they overly identify with the type they think they are;they truly believe they are their type,like it's all there is to them.They are special because a statistic say so,because they are this type,thus they will cling onto their type like no other.

I believe it's a self-esteem/ ego thing above all; your type is not you,nor are you your type,your type doesn't make you special,it's your job to make your own damn self special through what you do/say,if special-ness is what you so desire.

á´…eparted

passages
I personally think it is cos people don't always indicate when they are ranting. People need to rant, and what better place to do it than on an internet forum. However, those rants inevitably lead to generalisations, things that were said in the heat of the moment that then get taken as true 'statements' to be challenged, which leads to bashing and butthurt on both sides.

If people just indicated that what will follow is a rant, things would be a lot less complicated and convoluted, I feel.

It's also human nature.

There will always be some sort of us vs. them mentality. People need to group and catagorize themselves to make sense of who everyone is. MBTI by its nature imparts labeles on everything. Most are going to see some things as better than others (regardless of the correctness of it), share those feelings because human nature drives is to believe not everything could possibly be equal and the same. Not everyone will agree on their opinions, and as a result massive butthurt starts to happen.

People also like watching it when it happens. "ooooh, drama! Get me the popcorn!". Every time, it just feeds it and makes it more active. Anyone who posts here or has been watching quietly is guilty of it.

This is a problem that will never end.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

If people just indicated that the following was a rant, things would be a lot less complicated and convoluted, I feel.

You know, this reminds me of a conversation I had with my INFP partner about a thread I'd seen on this site:

Me: Can you think of any situation in which a thread focusing on what INFPs can't stand about INFJs would be anything but a train wreak?
Her (laughing then seriously considering the question): Only one - if the discussion was strictly between INFPs and clearly for venting purposes only. Otherwise ... no.
Me: Yup. I agree.

So there's some possibility that the problem may have something to do with the forum structure (like, there's nowhere for INFPs to have that kind of vent session except the "NF" forum or general MBTI forum ... no space that is "home" space for a given type where people who aren't that type are positioned as visitors/guests). The temperament structure of the subforums, the lack of space by type, actually put me off from joining this site for some time. Of course, this may not really be a source of the problem since I'm only thinking about one example.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I will however, agree with you that INFJ's are often protrayed by many typing info websites as being these magical mystical creatures that are super special above and beyond the other types. That type of wording is terrible, and wrong. It feeds egos and does no good whatsoever. It's a symptom of what the type is. I seriously believe that if INFJ's were not the "rarest" type, and another type was, the exact same sort of pattern would emerge for a different type.
I have to go and will comment further later, but just wanted to say some of the time I think the way they are described is lacking. There are many detailed and 3 dimensional portraits of the type, but some it seems like just don't know what to say about them- we're mysterious and hard to describe and that's about it. Put the mysterious, eclectic, mystical, religious, off the wall people in that type. In reality most INFJ's are just conscientious and intellectual individuals with highly developed intuition.

And it's also worth mentioning that many people mistype them as thinkers.

Permabanned
You know, this reminds me of a conversation I had with my INFP partner about a thread I'd seen on this site:

Me: Can you think of any situation in which a thread focusing on what INFPs can't stand about INFJs would be anything but a train wreak?
Her (laughing then seriously considering the question): Only one - if the discussion was strictly between INFPs and clearly for venting purposes only. Otherwise ... no.
Me: Yup. I agree.

So there's some possibility that the problem may have something to do with the forum structure (like, there's nowhere for INFPs to have that kind of vent session except the "NF" forum or general MBTI forum ... no space that is "home" space for a given type where people who aren't that type are positioned as visitors/guests). The temperament structure of the subforums, the lack of space by type, actually put me off from joining this site for some time. Of course, this may not really be a source of the problem since I'm only thinking about one example.

Agreed. A committee to choose validate types must be constituted with severe penalties for mistyped trespassers! :solidarity: :2ar15:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Quite literally,every other time I look at the type label thing under someone's profile it says INFJ.Everywhere I look there's an INFJ,I can't take a swing in the dark without hitting one.Seriously,it's wall to wall INFJ's,I feel like I have those 4 letters tattooed on my eyes or something.

Freddy Krueger?INFJ.
Florida?INFJ.
That orange sitting in the fruit bowl?INFJ.
Your grandma?INFJ.
Banana flavored gum?INFJ.(as well as disgusting)
My grandma?ESTP probably,since she's a drug dealer...she'll fuck you up.

Anyway,you get the point.

In all seriousness though,I am highly skeptical of the blatantly unrealistic number of INFJ's on this website,that is to say,there's just no way everyone of those people is an INFJ;I believe they are mostly either INFP's who want to be the special snowflake of MBTI,or very confused ISFJ's.
Even though the internet is bound to attract more N's than you would normally see in real life,so to speak,I still find it very hard to believe that even a typology website would attract this many INFJ's,being that INFJ's are said to make up roughly 1% of the entire population.

What did that 1% just multiply itself by 10 and then flood straight into this website or something?

Frankly,I have no idea where I am going with this,it just makes me angry that so many people seem to be perfectly alright with using a tool meant for self-discovery/self-improvement to feed their own egos,to the point of being willing to lie to themselves.

I find it funny that people blow up over this fact. (*unfeeling robot mode*) It just sucks for the person who doesn't know that they aren't one. They're not helping themselves. It'll just stagnate their personal development to individuation.

I am not bugged by it honestly. However, if I do meet an actual INFJ, it gives me hope. :D

G

Ginkgo

If you've typed yourself XYZ and feel that you've affirmed that typing through the relationships you've analyzed through the lens of typology, the ideas you've found resonance with, and every connection you could sort out between you and the rest of the world, but someone posits that you're mistyped, you must consider overruling a complex, embedded hypothesis. When you recognize the uncertainty inherent in the typing process, the more you question yourself and the less credible you are in your own eyes over time. The less credible you feel, the more you question. It's an exponential process that plateaus when you just give up and settle. If something disrupts that equilibrium, it can feel like a noob is demanding that you embark on some sort of convoluted initiation process, even though you're already over it. At that point, it's not so much about type as much as it is about status and position, though both are easily mired in egoism.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I agree it's a stange thing to be defensive over.

L

LadyLazarus

And you thought this would be a nice springtime skip through the daises? LOL!

From such a warm,loving,non-judgmental community?Naturally!

Wow,I'm so positive, I must be an INFJ!

L

LadyLazarus

So is the rest.

Yes,but that's the part I most agreed with; hence the bold letters,dammit I thought we went through this when we where first initiated into this cult site,don't tell me I'm the only one who got pig's blood dumped on her head?!