• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is everyone an INFJ nowadays?

Alea_iacta_est

At the risk of sounding vain (again!), does the belowgiven seem to fit...?

That may be a personification of the Senex/Witch's good side, the wise old man (perhaps the sage would be a more apt term). The shadow auxiliary is seen as an evil force yet it attempts to preserve the Ego.

We perceive the Senex/Witch as being the critical parent trying to correct us, chastising us in the process. When others use it, it should have the subliminal association of a person scolding us.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sophia Deep said:
To be totally honest, I think a lot of people even here have pretty low self esteem, or at least have a lot of ego issues and they use typology as a tool to repair their broken egos, so no wonder a lot of people have special snowflake syndrome and like to type as INFJs. For some typology is just a way how to flatter their egos, not a self discovery tool.

True. Most people who end up on psychology forums are struggling with some element of fitting in, their own happiness levels, or of making sense of their lives and relationships.

I think most people who really take hold of typology and settle into foruming about it, use typology as a safety net, as if they'll drown without the definition and structure and 'truths' it supposedly tries to make sense of, and as something to hold onto to affirm their own mode of being/take comfort in who they are. I'm not excluded from this, in fact it's why I was so immersed in the forum for years. It can be easy to get locked into the micro-world of it, becoming more ego-driven around who you're supposed to be based on the theory, who others are supposed to be and how they're supposed to act, the whole world and people become reduced to cognitive functions, and so on.

Yes.

The study of typology functions recursively with the wishes of the individual. "I'm searching for insight into myself and others." + "I need to construct an identity" = "I am insightful into myself and others" (aka. INFX)

I remember convincing myself that I was an INTP because I was into systems. Systems like Typology. My investigation affirmed the biased conclusion it gave me via test results.

The wishes of an individual, however, prove as unreliable as the tests. It's a double-edged sword that cuts both ways so long as you attempt to manufacture an identity through theory as apposed to accomplishments or actions.

That said, I don't buy into any particular set of statistical evidence for MBTI, so I can't side with anyone on either side of this argument. The only thing I can infer from this conflict is that TypologyCentral generates a member base that entertains the idea that it holds special knowledge about human beings. This idea oscillates, taking forms of egotism, forms of inquisitiveness, forms of social acceptance, forms of rejection, and so on, but it always gets thrown into the mix of how we define ourselves, regardless of its accuracy.

Good post.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Eh, I considered being an INFJ, but I realized that I'd be more "special" as an ESTJ. Rebelling against the system by becoming a part of it.

;)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think it's that big of a deal. I went through a phase where I thought I might be INFJ because I'm pretty shy and I'm responsible and a planner, in addition to being NF overall. And it does sound nice. It's easy to mistype as something else because it inherently sounds more appealing, as one can't so readily see the downsides of living in the heads of other types. And then there is the old "N > S" bullshit floating around, and whatnot. And it's really not unsurprising that many INFJs would end up here, an analytical, online community of seekers.

I dunno. So someone mistypes. So a lot of people mistype. Each of us are lucky if we've found a type that we feel describes us accurately enough to be comfortable using that label. If they really don't fit the INFJ label, they'll realize soon enough. Until then... eh. All words are imprecise. Language is just metaphor for reality. If they've missed the mark by that much, it will probably come to light fairly quickly.

I guess I am more concerned about why they are seeking use of the label. If for self-description, no problem. If for boosting confidence, it probably would merit a second look. I heard someone once say that your enneatype is often recognizable in part because it makes you feel a bit uncomfortable. I think that's true for MBTI, too. Your "true"(est) type will probably make you feel a bit uncomfortable, because you can relate to its failures and shortcomings.

My INTP dad says something about sports cars like, "if the maker has to identify it as a sports car, it's not a sports car." Like, if you have to hold up a sign and parade it to be recognized as such, something's probably off. I guess I feel that way about type, too. If someone feels compelled to parade around their type and to use it as a shield, there's probably something weird going on that has more to do with psychological unhealth and using type as a self-defense mechanism, rather than a self-exploratory one.

So I assume if someone is psychologically healthy - I don't mean not mentally ill, but rather a more holistic sense of at peace with themself and the world - they will tend to have an easier time typing, because there are few motivations that would cause them to seek out a certain type.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*Sigh* Yes in the end my ultimate frustration is that I cannot do anything but rant.:mad:

I can only internally seethe at their own self-serving attitudes,and hope they find a way out of the pit they've dug themselves into.
Haha yeah,in retrospect I really shouldn't start threads while I'm angry.:dry:

I just can't stand fakes,they kind of drive me up the wall(I know it's not very evident from my angry rants right?:newwink: )but I guess you're right;there's nothing I can do about it.They probably won't listen to me anyways,probably too far gone for that.

I just wish I could make them all see and give them the strength to accept themselves/see themselves for who they really are.

Yes,I suppose it is...

Your dominant function/ persuasion in life (Fi) is showing :wink:

Not everyone has the same perceptions, priorities and perspectives on life - and that is part of the beauty of life (and now my dominant function is showing :happy2:)

RAnting is certainly a good thing to do in life, and this shouldn't dissuade you from doing so on this forum. One thing that might be handy though is identifying a thread as a rant - it tends to cause less...residual drama as people understand that it aint a 'truth statement' per se, just a personal experience coupled with blowing off steam. Once you do, rant away. I find it incredibly purging myself. And hey, we enjoy our drama fix just fine - just in manageable bits :D

L

LadyLazarus

Eh, I considered being an INFJ, but I realized that I'd be more "special" as an ESTJ. Rebelling against the system by becoming a part of it.

;)

Hell yeah that's how you do it!:rock:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I heard someone once say that your enneatype is often recognizable in part because it makes you feel a bit uncomfortable. I think that's true for MBTI, too. Your "true"(est) type will probably make you feel a bit uncomfortable, because you can relate to its failures and shortcomings.
I'm not entirely sure about this. When I mistyped as a 6, it made me EXTREMELY uncomfortable, and was frustrating and disheartening. By contrast, I was reassured and validated by the correct results. Maybe that makes me an exception to a general rule?

I wonder how much of this is due to bias in type descriptions. (Haven't read the entire thread, so pardon me if this has been brought up already.) I know that I was a bit resistant to the idea of being a 1 because I'm not puritanical and my moral code is not particularly conservative. But when I realized the core of the type -- i.e. being very black-and-white in your dedication to your own personal code, whatever that may be -- then I began to relate to it.

Hell yeah that's how you do it!:rock:
:solidarity:

L

LadyLazarus

Your dominant function/ persuasion in life (Fi) is showing :wink:

Not everyone has the same perceptions, priorities and perspectives on life - and that is part of the beauty of life (and now my dominant function is showing :happy2:)

Aah!No pretend you didn't see it k?:newwink:

Yes I guess that's true,I can't force them to see the truth or whatever,thanks for making me see it from a different perspective.

Edit:Thanks for the advice I'll do that next time so people will stop trying to bite my head off(however amusing it may be):dry:.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not entirely sure about this. When I mistyped as a 6, it made me EXTREMELY uncomfortable, and was frustrating and disheartening. By contrast, I was reassured and validated by the correct results. Maybe that makes me an exception to a general rule?

I wonder how much of this is due to bias in type descriptions. (Haven't read the entire thread, so pardon me if this has been brought up already.) I know that I was a bit resistant to the idea of being a 1 because I'm not puritanical and my moral code is not particularly conservative. But when I realized the core of the type -- i.e. being very black-and-white in your dedication to your own personal code, whatever that may be -- then I began to relate to it.

Well, what I remember of what I read suggested a little squirminess - like a little gnawing sense of "aw cmon can't I be something else" - rather than a big negative reaction. I would assume a large negative reaction would indicate that it's not the right type. I think I felt something similar when I typed as a 4 a long time ago. It just wasn't right.

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I used to find it strange that some would copy me... but I've also come to realize that although there will always be phonies, each person is still very different from another. Just look at how no one looks exactly like another - not even identical twins (especially after they've experience the environment)! I'm all for trait theory (also because I do research)... but I can see that some people will fit into different archetypes... whether it's consistent with MBTI theory or not. Regardless... respect human rights. If I'd continue to be upset every time someone would emulate me, I'd really be risking my health. I have a decent reputation in life... but I've also recently learned what it's like to be bullied by those in even higher positions (or imbalanced/hungry competitors) - and it doesn't feel good. I don't blame all of them either; some just aren't in the right places. However, no one can regulate my own emotions for me; others can try to help (and succeed greatly), but it's my ultimate responsibility. I put my energies in the 'good' things in life (to me)... knowledge, the arts... and toward loved ones.

Permabanned

;)

I considered being an INFJ once, like you, but then I toke an arrow to the knee.

p4t4kbv

ETA:
There are currently 20 users browsing this thread. (14 members and 6 guests)
:dry:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes.

The study of typology functions recursively with the wishes of the individual. "I'm searching for insight into myself and others." + "I need to construct an identity" = "I am insightful into myself and others" (aka. INFX)

I remember convincing myself that I was an INTP because I was into systems. Systems like Typology. My investigation affirmed the biased conclusion it gave me via test results.

The wishes of an individual, however, prove as unreliable as the tests. It's a double-edged sword that cuts both ways so long as you attempt to manufacture an identity through theory as apposed to accomplishments or actions.

That said, I don't buy into any particular set of statistical evidence for MBTI, so I can't side with anyone on either side of this argument. The only thing I can infer from this conflict is that TypologyCentral generates a member base that entertains the idea that it holds special knowledge about human beings. This idea oscillates, taking forms of egotism, forms of inquisitiveness, forms of social acceptance, forms of rejection, and so on, but it always gets thrown into the mix of how we define ourselves, regardless of its accuracy.

yeah, a kind of dictum. "mind or body. choose."

meanwhile, identity is, as you point out, a recursive process. to not definitively take an object of that process as you, but to allow your experience of the process to deepen your awareness of your own construction, is not easy. the end and the beginning meet back in the middle somewhere. you got to cast the lure but recognize too that it's the reeling in that catches the fish.

G

garbage

here's my honest take, who gives a fuck what type you are? seriously? like type doesn't make you who you are. you can be an ass hole as an INFJ or you can be a non-asshole. It doesn't matter, and this whole bullshit of, type is so important. no it's not, people are going to hate or like you regardless of type. you're still going to die, you still have to obey the laws of gravity, you can't kill someone without breaking the law. You're still you.
Yup.

The only problem is that they'll misattribute things they don't like about you to your type, rather than what they should be attributed to. Because people do all they can to make things 'fit' in their minds.

But hey, I figure that if they're going to make that mistake, that's on them; so I don't give a fuck what other people think my type is. It's not up to me to bust ass to correct people :shrug:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yup.

The only problem is that they'll misattribute things they don't like about you to your type, rather than what they should be attributed to. Because people do all they can to make things 'fit' in their minds.

But hey, I figure that if they're going to make that mistake, that's on them; so I don't give a fuck what other people think my type is. It's not up to me to bust ass to correct people :shrug:
also people assign certain types to other people because they think that type is a bad type and they think the person is a bad person.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
also people assign certain types to other people because they think that type is a bad type and they think the person is a bad person.
+1

Glad that doesn't happen to me on the forum as much as it used to.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
+1

Glad that doesn't happen to me on the forum as much as it used to.

but you're not a bad person, even though you won't tell me about when you have sex. which is ok, for most that's a private matter. I just want to know