• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is everyone an INFJ nowadays?

yeghor

To be totally honest, I think a lot of people even here have pretty low self esteem, or at least have a lot of ego issues and they use typology as a tool to repair their broken egos, so no wonder a lot of people have special snowflake syndrome and like to type as INFJs. For some typology is just a way how to flatter their egos, not a self discovery tool.

For some time I've typed myself as an ISTJ and really thought I was one...and I was content with it...

But the more I learned about typology, I've come to realize that I am an INFJ...and the positive descriptions and attributes associated with INFJs did help me feel good about myself cause for most of my life I've felt as a weirdo, misfit, loner etc. that failed integrate into the world of normal people...

Knowing my type helped to make sense of what I have been going through as well as make peace with myself (well partially at least)...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:shrug: Mistyping is part of the journey. We all see traits in other type we wish we embodied.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For some time I've typed myself as an ISTJ and really thought I was one...and I was content with it...

But the more I learned about typology, I've come to realize that I am an INFJ...and the positive descriptions and attributes associated with INFJs did help me feel good about myself cause for most of my life I've felt as a weirdo, misfit, loner etc. that failed integrate into the world of normal people...

Knowing my type helped to make sense of what I have been going through as well as make peace with myself (well partially at least)...

yeah and there come users who react personally on post I meant universally and didn't point out on anyone concrete....Just so the Fi could feel okay, with its own story.

yeghor

yeah and there come users who react personally on post I meant universally and didn't point out on anyone concrete....Just so the Fi could feel okay, with its own story.

Is that a bad thing?

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eh, I know at least of one INFJ that fits the inferior Se descriptive. I suppose you have to hunt them down. Even if you do catch one, what will you make with one?

Don't let it bug you that much. Maybe it is part of the fun to go hunt for them :alttongue:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
here are the specific items from your list i relate to personally.

i don't doubt that introverted feeling types have a different experience. and i do think extroversion can help me in taking resources from the external world to help my emotions, but it also makes me more susceptible to taking things in that actually make it worse, or focusing too much on the outside and submitting my feelings to a beating by whatever's out there. i can't imagine, though, not using the outside world so comfortably since it is almost a lifeline for me, so i don't envy you guys either.

i hear you. committing to staying connected to those around you, those that make up your world, is a great challenge. it requires you to take responsibility to influence the outcomes of things in ways that you don't have full control over. it requires you to allow others to do what they're gonna do, while still continuing to care. it confronts you again and again with the question of whether you're truly willing to commit to do your best to give what you can.

it's really difficult to dig down and be able to hold your awareness of your own needs in place while you're also doing the same for those around you. and that's before you even try out ways to negotiate that and create mutual benefit from those constraints.

i think for me, sometimes, when i don't allow myself to truly recognize my own needs but get stuck on an attitude that keeps trying to take over my feelings to restore a sense of beauty, or comfort in what has happened, i lose my capacity to see where i'm at clearly enough to then recognize all the myriad of ways i could at least allow connecting with others to give me a little lift. my brother, an entp so/sp, told me many, many years ago how much doing something for someone else could help him feel better. i didn't realize that so much of it comes down to doing those things while still connecting to your own needs, and realizing that you can do something that can meet a need and, with enough focus, can start a new story built on these little investments.

it's just that thing where a little work here and there can save you so much energy in the long-run, can give you flexibility to keep the momentum going so much better if you fully realize it.

Alea_iacta_est

So does this mean when angry (or under extreme stress) an INFP may act as an ENFJ...and and INFJ may act as an ENFP...

When angry, I sometimes lash out at people and say harsh things to hurt them, which I regret later ... Can this be coming from my shadow Ne-Fi?

How would this work for INFPs...? A shadow Fe-Ni?

Well the Opposing Personality and Senex/Witch are called the "sharp weapons" meaning that you use them only to attack others and/or yourself (For instance, in the INxJ, Ne is the opposing personality, meaning that when we go to attack others, we usually lament about how they are not taking into account other possibilities, and we attack ourselves with it by punching holes in our own plans by telling ourselves that we aren't taking into account other possibilities EDIT: this changes if we are being attacked by Ne, in which case we insult them by telling them that the given data points to one path). Here's a larger excerpt from the website along with some definitions for what exactly the Opp. Personality Complex and the Senex are.

L

LadyLazarus

Eh, I know at least of one INFJ that fits the inferior Se descriptive. I suppose you have to hunt them down. Even if you do catch one, what will you make with one?

Don't let it bug you that much. Maybe it is part of the fun to go hunt for them :alttongue:

Slap the delusional out of them!:D

Truth.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I also think it's a huge difference if people relate themselves to Ni+Fe, or I+N+F+J descriptions.

L

LadyLazarus

:shrug: Mistyping is part of the journey. We all see traits in other type we wish we embodied.

That is true,but it's not really a journey if you allow yourself to become blinded by your own ego,unwilling to move forward or see yourself for what you truly are.That is more like standing completely still due to inhibiting your own growth.

I do agree with you on that last part though.

G

Ginkgo

To be totally honest, I think a lot of people even here have pretty low self esteem, or at least have a lot of ego issues and they use typology as a tool to repair their broken egos, so no wonder a lot of people have special snowflake syndrome and like to type as INFJs. For some typology is just a way how to flatter their egos, not a self discovery tool.

Yes.

The study of typology functions recursively with the wishes of the individual. "I'm searching for insight into myself and others." + "I need to construct an identity" = "I am insightful into myself and others" (aka. INFX)

I remember convincing myself that I was an INTP because I was into systems. Systems like Typology. My investigation affirmed the biased conclusion it gave me via test results.

The wishes of an individual, however, prove as unreliable as the tests. It's a double-edged sword that cuts both ways so long as you attempt to manufacture an identity through theory as apposed to accomplishments or actions.

That said, I don't buy into any particular set of statistical evidence for MBTI, so I can't side with anyone on either side of this argument. The only thing I can infer from this conflict is that TypologyCentral generates a member base that entertains the idea that it holds special knowledge about human beings. This idea oscillates, taking forms of egotism, forms of inquisitiveness, forms of social acceptance, forms of rejection, and so on, but it always gets thrown into the mix of how we define ourselves, regardless of its accuracy.

yeghor

well...I didn't mean to attack conretly you, or anyone else who is typed INFJ, so just no need to become deffensive.

Oh that's OK, I wasn't acting defensive...just sharing my experience and how it has played out for me...no hurt feelings...:)

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes.

The study of typology functions recursively with the wishes of the individual. "I'm searching for insight into myself and others." + "I need to construct an identity" = "I am insightful into myself and others" (aka. INFX)

I remember convincing myself that I was an INTP because I was into systems. Systems like Typology. My investigation affirmed the biased conclusion it gave me via test results.

The wishes of an individual, however, prove as unreliable as the tests. It's a double-edged sword that cuts both ways so long as you attempt to manufacture an identity through theory as apposed to accomplishments or actions.

That said, I don't buy into any particular set of statistical evidence for MBTI, so I can't side with anyone on either side of this argument. The only thing I can infer from this conflict is that TypologyCentral generates a member base that entertains the idea that it holds special knowledge about human beings. This idea oscillates, taking forms of egotism, forms of inquisitiveness, forms of social acceptance, forms of rejection, and so on, but it always gets thrown into the mix of how we define ourselves, regardless of its accuracy.

I couldn't agree more!
BTW I used to be the same with Ti like you with being an "INTP".

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That is true,but it's not really a journey if you allow yourself to become blinded by your own ego,unwilling to move forward or see yourself for what you truly are.

I do agree with you on that last part though.

It is part of their journey, apparently. Some people only enjoy dabbling in MBTI, and were never really that much in it - they have other motives, like finding a place where they feel part of the community, or a place they can be 'weird'. And there aint no law against that. It may frustrate you, but that aint their problem. As you've noticed, they have enough on their plate to figure out already. Many of them - if they stay with it - grow up, get to know themselves better and will come to terms with who they are, eventually - and will do so without the 'help' of your frustration.

But then that frustration is part of your journey, too I suppose :wink:

yeghor

At the risk of sounding vain (again!), does the belowgiven seem to fit...?

L

LadyLazarus

It is part of their journey, apparently. Some people only enjoy dabbling in MBTI, and were never really that much in it - they have other motives, like finding a place where they feel part of the community, or a place they can be 'weird'. And there aint no law against that. It may frustrate you, but that aint their problem. As you've noticed, they have enough on their plate to figure out already. Many of them - if they stay with it - grow up, get to know themselves better and will come to terms with who they are, eventually - and will do so without the 'help' of your frustration.

But then that frustration is part of your journey, too I suppose :wink:

*Sigh* Yes in the end my ultimate frustration is that I cannot do anything but rant.:mad:

I can only internally seethe at their own self-serving attitudes,and hope they find a way out of the pit they've dug themselves into.
Haha yeah,in retrospect I really shouldn't start threads while I'm angry.:dry:

I just can't stand fakes,they kind of drive me up the wall(I know it's not very evident from my angry rants right?:newwink: )but I guess you're right;there's nothing I can do about it.They probably won't listen to me anyways,probably too far gone for that.

I just wish I could make them all see and give them the strength to accept themselves/see themselves for who they really are.

Yes,I suppose it is...