User Tag List

Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is everyone an INFJ nowadays?

Make 2017 a good one! Array Amargith's Avatar
    MBTI
    Nixi
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEx None

Quote Originally Posted by Werebudgie View Post
    Fun? You're having fun? Awwwww.

Yeah, how would it actually work/be implemented, in your view?

(or since you're Ne-dom and talking about brainstorming, maybe I should ask it like: what are the various/many possible ways it might work .... did I get that re-phrased question at all correct?)
    Since Im currently going Ni-Fe the other formulation would've worked just fine

Honestly, the only way I can see it working is if it is clearly indicated as rant and if there are, I guess, definitions for what that entails (god help me, I seriously am turning Ti ). What I mean is, if you want to rant about something and find support, acceptance and a listening ear, you should be able to do so in a safe zone with people understanding that. That also means you forfeit the right of actually investigating that claim, experience, or rant as an objective truth. You can do that later - many people seem to go through a process of first purging, then feeling understood, and because of that being able to understand the other side as well and then have a need to debate in what way this takes place and why, so it is a natural progression. At that point, one could start a new thread, once one is ready for such a place. Once you go to phase two, it is best to use curiosity and detachment and an open mind to research it, to keep miscommunication, escalation and heated arguments flying everywhere - in other words, there the safe haven will not extend in order to prevent platforming and spreading personal opinions as truths.

Now...the thing Im not quite sure about is if FeTi users actually separate those two processes in their head. If this is one big process for them, due to how Fe works. Which would make it harder for them to recognise which stage they are in, making it harder to label things. And for that matter, which might be detrimental to how they solve things, so I need more data on that to really see how to address that

As for practical application - just report someone who steps out of the bounds of the thread. In the rant section - don't post unless you are willing to help the OP out with what they need - a different yet empathetic response, an anecdote that relates so they don't feel alone, a gripe session of your own on that topic. Also don't post anything that starts a hypothesis on whether or not this is true for the general populace - keep it to your personal situation only - no pushing agendas and conclusions, based on this. Those could I suppose get dumped into a second thread to examine the truth of it but because they are often a clash of strong emotions and truth building, they tend to be a toxic component to any thread so I'd say they're better off being called 'Off Topic' until the poster is truly ready and decides on his own to take part in the more analytical thread themselves.

The same thing would be true for the other type of thread: griping could be moved to a rant thread, while griping that masks as truth platforming goes 'Off topic' to keep the debate on track and geared towards what the thread was meant for.

Frankly, I'm not sure how enforceable that would be though, and at some point this stuff does become a judgement call.

And then there is the question: do we want to hyper-organise that way - sure, it would improve thread quality and create safe havens for both emotional support and intellectual discourse. But we're a forum of people that hangs out here in their free time - not professionals. And the actual learning process of this for each newb might be...taxing, as not everyone naturally realises when they are ranting and when they are discussing something in a more detached way. At the same time, I think it could significantly help people discern between T and F situations, and when what is called for, immensely, which would be right up our alley, not to mention leave space for Ti and Fi to putter around without being clobbered by their extraverted cousins, who have their own sandbox to play in.

So, how far do we want to take this? I honestly don't see how else you're going to avoid these kind of train wrecks, but then many people seem to enjoy that kind of drama. So perhaps a poll on whether or not this would work, is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    /Ti

Hey! I did that on purpose! It adds juiciness to the phrasing

You keep your paws of my art, you!
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Freaking Ratchet Array Rail Tracer's Avatar

@Dr Mobius

INFP and INFJ are one of those unmentionables since the Great Battle of INFP vs. INFJ unfolded years ago. You have to be there to understand why there is a weirdness to it... unless you were there when it happened.

failed poetry slam career Array chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Since Im currently going Ni-Fe the other formulation would've worked just fine

Honestly, the only way I can see it working is if it is clearly indicated as rant and if there are, I guess, definitions for what that entails (god help me, I seriously am turning Ti ). What I mean is, if you want to rant about something and find support, acceptance and a listening ear, you should be able to do so in a safe zone with people understanding that. That also means you forfeit the right of actually investigating that claim, experience, or rant as an objective truth. You can do that later - many people seem to go through a process of first purging, then feeling understood, and because of that being able to understand the other side as well and then have a need to debate in what way this takes place and why, so it is a natural progression. At that point, one could start a new thread, once one is ready for such a place. Once you go to phase two, it is best to use curiosity and detachment and an open mind to research it, to keep miscommunication, escalation and heated arguments flying everywhere - in other words, there the safe haven will not extend in order to prevent platforming and spreading personal opinions as truths.

Now...the thing Im not quite sure about is if FeTi users actually separate those two processes in their head. If this is one big process for them, due to how Fe works. Which would make it harder for them to recognise which stage they are in, making it harder to label things. And for that matter, which might be detrimental to how they solve things, so I need more data on that to really see how to address that

As for practical application - just report someone who steps out of the bounds of the thread. In the rant section - don't post unless you are willing to help the OP out with what they need - a different yet empathetic response, an anecdote that relates so they don't feel alone, a gripe session of your own on that topic. Also don't post anything that starts a hypothesis on whether or not this is true for the general populace - keep it to your personal situation only - no pushing agendas and conclusions, based on this. Those could I suppose get dumped into a second thread to examine the truth of it but because they are often a clash of strong emotions and truth building, they tend to be a toxic component to any thread so I'd say they're better off being called 'Off Topic' until the poster is truly ready and decides on his own to take part in the more analytical thread themselves.

The same thing would be true for the other type of thread: griping could be moved to a rant thread, while griping that masks as truth platforming goes 'Off topic' to keep the debate on track and geared towards what the thread was meant for.

Frankly, I'm not sure how enforceable that would be though, and at some point this stuff does become a judgement call.

And then there is the question: do we want to hyper-organise that way - sure, it would improve thread quality and create safe havens for both emotional support and intellectual discourse. But we're a forum of people that hangs out here in their free time - not professionals. And the actual learning process of this for each newb might be...taxing, as not everyone naturally realises when they are ranting and when they are discussing something in a more detached way. At the same time, I think it could significantly help people discern between T and F situations, and when what is called for, immensely, which would be right up our alley, not to mention leave space for Ti and Fi to putter around without being clobbered by their extraverted cousins, who have their own sandbox to play in.

So, how far do we want to take this? I honestly don't see how else you're going to avoid these kind of train wrecks, but then many people seem to enjoy that kind of drama. So perhaps a poll on whether or not this would work, is in order.

Hey! I did that on purpose! It adds juiciness to the phrasing

You keep your paws of my art, you!
    That would kill a living thread.

Make 2017 a good one! Array Amargith's Avatar
    MBTI
    Nixi
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEx None

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    That would kill a living thread.
    Only in the beginning when people are still adjusting to the new format.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

failed poetry slam career Array chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Only in the beginning when people are still adjusting to the new format.
    These future threads will get too short and uncoordinated quickly by not linking back. Why would they want to return when their agenda was something entirely else to begin with?

Keep it in the pack, the pack will eat them up.

wants Mifune clone minion Array Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Actually, the funny thing about this is that this has come up before. In a couple of the previous NFP/NFJ threads, we (Fe/Ti) were the ones saying that venting in guise of putting forth 'objective' theories is a problem. And it was some of the Fi doms who were saying that Fi doesn't need that distinction.

But yeah, it is a real problem- even when we've very clearly asked "are you just venting, or are you trying to submit theories about all INFJs here?"- for whatever reason, people become very reluctant to flat out say, "I'm just venting."
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Senior Member Array Forever_Jung's Avatar

I know this thread has taken on a lot of different dimensions, but I'm going to ignore all that.

I just wanted to mention that someone posted their MBTI test results in my Facebook newsfeed today, and like 5 people chimed in: OMG! I'm INFJ too! Of the 20 commenters in that post, there were no sensors. They were all INFJ/INTJ/INFP/INTP, except for one ENFJ. Reminded me of this thread.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I know this thread has taken on a lot of different dimensions, but I'm going to ignore all that.

I just wanted to mention that someone posted their MBTI test results in my Facebook newsfeed today, and like 5 people chimed in: OMG! I'm INFJ too! Of the 20 commenters in that post, there were no sensors. They were all INFJ/INTJ/INFP/INTP, except for one ENFJ. Reminded me of this thread.
    That's real life son.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Honestly, the only way I can see it working is if it is clearly indicated as rant and if there are, I guess, definitions for what that entails (god help me, I seriously am turning Ti ).
    I think the request to preface any post with "I'm just venting" is ill-conceived. "Objectivity" and "subjectivity" (what we loosely call "truth" and "venting") are often co-mingled.

Teasing the two apart is near-impossible if one shuts out listening to one perspective or the other. And most people are not emotionally aware enough to even tell the difference themselves. Sometimes the truth can only be revealed with a vent as preface, and sometimes the venting itself holds the key to revealing the truth waiting to be released behind that door. Sometimes the emotion contains the bare truth in and of itself. Emotion certainly can be a full and complete proof.

Reality is that every single post here is motivated by precedent emotion, and there is emotion brimming within every single post. You might as well suggest we try to trim emotions out. Not possible.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Senior Member Array statuesquechica's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    They're INTJ's in disguise. And they have begun their takeover.
    Hilarious!!

I guess I am a bit taken aback by a topic that creates so much vitriol (from all types) and a 10 minute video in the beginning with a guy with some serious Socionics' obsession (it was entertaining for a bit). I am completely naïve to the fact that someone would choose a type because they want to be considered "rare" first, without doing an extensive amount of research, self-analysis, and reflection first. I hadn't even considered that people would do this...but it is all a personal process and can take time.

MBTI is a tool, just like the Enneagram (though they look at functions vs. motivations) but they are tools and only as helpful as the brutal honestly one needs to use them for positive personal change. Why in the world would a person cheat themselves out of learning about their true nature?

I think outdated "rareness" stats should factor in gender as a variable...that would be interesting.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast