User Tag List

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is everyone an INFJ nowadays?

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    The reason it comes up on the INFJ forums is because they are supposably the rarest type (I wholly disagree with that, but that's another matter). It's also based on a single study and shouldn't me taken at face value. It's the nature of what an INFJ is that causes it to be brought up as a topic of discussion. "Oh, hey, look at this, we're rare! Let's talk about it!". INFP's are middle of the road according to the publicly known stats, so it just doesn't get mentioned much; it wouldn't be relavant.

I wouldn't call it an obsession either. It's meerly a topic that gains attention when brought up because it's alienating to some.
    No, what comes up is not topics on type percentages & rarity itself....but trying to weed out who is mistyped, which stems from the idea the type is so rare. They're very intent on pointing out what does or does not make for a "real" INFJ. INFPs don't bother with trying to identify mistyped people (and a type does not need to be rare to have mistypings). We're not hung up "specialness", period. There is no evidence to assign that trait to INFPs & plenty of reason to assign it to INFJs.

INTJs are supposedly rare also - I don't see them doing this (and gasp! they are tertiary Fi!).

I would & DO call it an obsession on INFJ forums...at any given moment there's at least one active thread about it & often another one stickied. Inside these topics, people take great pride in their rarity & seek to distinguish themselves from others. They make disparaging remarks about the "fake INFJs". It's pretty ridiculous.

As usual, people refuse to see a negative trait in this over-rated type, but choose to pin it on some other type when all indicators say otherwise. Maybe the INFJ forum has special snowflake syndrome because INFJs often have it?
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I know of a close relative of yours that has it a teeny tiny bit worse.

It's sad when actual ENFPs... are the only individuals that doubt they're ENFPs.
    Oh you're totally right. ENFPs are the true catch-all. Especially if someone is unsure of their type & changes type a few times - must be ENFP!
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

Immanentize the Eschaton Array Starry's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Oh you're totally right. ENFPs are the true catch-all. Especially if someone is unsure of their type & changes type a few times - must be ENFP!
    Well...a good number of them actual ENFPs are signing up for the...INFP 4w5 spots so...
    Flaming Uke
    Oakland booty

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se

No, what comes up is not topics on type percentages & rarity itself....but trying to weed out who is mistyped, which stems from the idea the type is so rare. They're very intent on pointing out what does or does not make for a "real" INFJ. INFPs don't bother with trying to identify mistyped people (and a type does not need to be rare to have mistypings). We're not hung up "specialness", period. There is no evidence to assign that trait to INFPs & plenty of reason to assign it to INFJs.

INTJs are supposedly rare also - I don't see them doing this (and gasp! they are tertiary Fi!).

I would & DO call it an obsession on INFJ forums...at any given moment there's at least one active thread about it & often another one stickied. Inside these topics, people take great pride in their rarity & seek to distinguish themselves from others. They make disparaging remarks about the "fake INFJs". It's pretty ridiculous.

As usual, people refuse to see a negative trait in this over-rated type, but choose to pin it on some other type when all indicators say otherwise. Maybe the INFJ forum has special snowflake syndrome because INFJs often have it?
    Jesus you are showing a lot of hatred towards INFJ's. Goddamn.

I was on INFJ's for 2.5 years. I would not call it an obsession at all (with respect to rarity). It was a topic that came up every couple of months, and newbies would mention it when they "learned it" in their intro posts, and it would stop. That's about it. We're going to have to agree to disagree on that point.

You're also applying this to all INFJ's (at least with how you're wording it). I would contest that this applies to unhealthy and a minority of INFJ's. By and large, they are usually fairly status oriented as a group. They want groups, and they want harmony, but only people that fit into their idea of what a group should be. A huge reason why it often came up on there, was a drive to have a correct idea of what an INFJ is. Which included using individuals as examples/templates. It's hard to define Ni, and a lot of it came from that (again I was on there for 2.5 years and very very active so I was extremely aware of what went on). When there were witch hunts, it was often after members who were seen as undesirable, and many assumed because they were undesirable, it was because they weren't INFJ. A false assumption that proved to be wrong the majority of the time. That forum has had social problems since it's inception, much of it intractable (it's 1/2 of why I eventually left).

With all of the truly labeled "trouble makers" on there that caused serious problem, or got banned, I'd estimate 75% of them were not INFJ (and nearly all of them labeled themselves as such).

Anyway, I'm getting away from the initial premise of this. I still say E4 is the main driver of this, and less the nature of INFJ's. The very nature of E4 types can, and will drive individuals to act in this way, where they must be "special" though only poorly adapted, or undeveloped ones.

I will however, agree with you that INFJ's are often protrayed by many typing info websites as being these magical mystical creatures that are super special above and beyond the other types. That type of wording is terrible, and wrong. It feeds egos and does no good whatsoever. It's a symptom of what the type is. I seriously believe that if INFJ's were not the "rarest" type, and another type was, the exact same sort of pattern would emerge for a different type. The special type would talk about it, and it would be a thing. It's simply human nature to separate ourselves into groups, and everyone wants to feel important, special, or unique in some regard.

It's just like a spoiled child. Tell them "you're a special little princess!" they're going to start acting like one.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Not this propaganda again.
    "It can be hard for those of us with SAT scores exceeding our golf handicaps to remember that ignorance is a renewable resource." - P. J. O'Rourke in Sex With Dr. Ruth
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Jesus you are showing a lot of hatred towards INFJ's. Goddamn.
    With all due respect, Hard, while you have just informed us of your unprecedented experience with INFJs...unless you have been lurking in the shadows for some time...your experience here... is limited. I would do more research before formulating such opinions.

With all of the truly labeled "trouble makers" on there that caused serious problem, or got banned, I'd estimate 75% of them were not INFJ (and nearly all of them labeled themselves as such).
    Oh I would love for you to meet my sister. I'm quite certain she would fall into your 75%.
    Flaming Uke
    Oakland booty

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se

With all due respect, Hard, while you have just informed us of your unprecedented experience with INFJs...unless you have been lurking in the shadows for some time...your experience here... is limited. I would do more research before formulating such opinions.
    It's not an opinion? Her post shows a really negative impression towards INFJ's. I was quite taken aback with how strongly it was worded, so I felt compelled to acknowledge it (the post itself).

Oh I would love for you to meet my sister. I'm quite certain she would fall into your 75%.
    ok?
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Society

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    So, wait, is it INFJs who are supposedly obsessed with being rare, or SJs who think they're INFJs who are obsessed with being rare?
    ...either way, its not likely to include people who object to being called rare, at least not in online communities.

i am curious though, what if instead of rare it would have said "the most abnormal & unusual type to be" or something like that? still means the same - an uncommon type - but a very different connotation. would we still have as many self proclaimed INFJs in online communities?

FYI
    come to think of it, if i remember right a research someone posted, ENTPs are supposed to be the most common NT.. why doesn't it say that in any of the ENTP descriptions? i can't think of any other type that has its statistics written right in the first few words of every description, which doesn't really make sense to do anyway, it doesn't really tell you much about what people of that type are like.

Pointing out that people may be mistyped is not necessarily restricted to cases where the other is mistyped as INFJ or the pointing out is done by an INFJ...not to mention that this is a "typology" forum...

I sometimes point out to people (usually privately) that they may be mistyped...I do this more frequently when the other is typed as INFJ and when there's a striking difference in what and how the other INFJ puts his/her ideas forward simply because the type I know best is "my own"...assuming that I am correctly typed myself...I do this from a Fe and Ti point of view...Ti because if the other person is mistyped as INFJ, whatever he/she shares in relation to INFJs will end up as misinformation/disinformation and hinder a true understanding of the type itself and the accompanying functions...and Fe because other people will end up drawing up misconclusions based on an incorrect starting point/premise/information...

Claiming that INFJs do this to maintain their specialty/superiority/eliteness as the (supposedly) rarest type is over-simplification and/or over-generalization...(and sounds like a Fi thing...not to imply that INFJs are perfect or above such actions)

We (all types/people) are all inclined to assume that other people also act with the same motivations we have...so you may be analyzing what's been happening from a Fi point of view...

One INTJ in the forum, for instance, publicly mentioned that I came across as an ENFP...I simply discussed why I disagree with her/him...And I learned something more in the process...(that I have a shadow/repressed ENFP inside of me...)...This may also mean INFPs have a repressed ENFJ inside by the way...could that be our inner child, how he/she (or us we) feels deep inside?

Anyway, assigning ulterior motives to such discussions is counter-productive...Perhaps it's best to focus on what can be learned in the process...

Other types/people are attacking INFPs using this angle (that they yearn to be INFJs)...and I do not condone it...the problem in that is this is creating an animosity in (some?) INFPs towards INFJs even though INFJs are not the real offender in that scenario...So the blame/anger seems to have been shifted somehow...

That scenario reminds of the dynamic between Thor and Loki...which the belowgiven article may explain:

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

It's not an opinion? Her post shows a really negative impression towards INFJ's. I was quite taken aback with how strongly it was worded, so I felt compelled to acknowledge it (the post itself).
    What I was getting at was could there be a reason for it? Or are all INFJs angels? Your response was scolding and rang as if her sentiments were uncalled for. Am I incorrect in this? Frankly, though I don't give a shit. I'm tired and can tell we have differing understandings of this type (the OP is onto something in that the mistypes may be confusing things.) Sweet INFJ dreams.
    Flaming Uke
    Oakland booty

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast