• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is everyone an INFJ nowadays?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find it amusing how the most common type, ISFJ is just one letter away from the least common type, INFJ. I suspect alot of the mistyped INFJs are really ISFJs.

I'm actually starting to be skeptical of these percentages. But anyway, ISFJ and INFJ despite sharing 3 letters seem really different to me. I'm sure some are mistyped ISFJ's, but I'd say more are N's of another type. I can't speak too much for mistyping though since I've done it a bunch of times. Hopefully I'll be flawless at typing some day...

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I'm actually starting to be skeptical of these percentages. But anyway, ISFJ and INFJ despite sharing 3 letters seem really different to me. I'm sure some are mistyped ISFJ's, but I'd say more are N's of another type. I can't speak too much for mistyping though since I've done it a bunch of times. Hopefully I'll be flawless at typing some day...

:thumbup:

My wife's an ISFJ, I'm an INFJ : The differences between us are immense. We live on different planets and only in the bedroom do we align :p

The differences in cognitive functions tell a lot more than the letters that differ in the MBTI type.

S

Society

[MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION], are you seriously trying to take credit for standing up for your own group as standing up for the underdog? and while you are busy preaching humility, have you stopped to notice how over the years as people one by one come attack the underdog with what is clearly malicious real life stories and experiences intended to put you down the underdog down ganging up as a 1 person gang on the poor flock of harmless sheep doing nothing but rising up to defend themselves from anyone bullying them with stories from their lives... rising up to the underdog together, poor things. nothing at all twisted and distorted about viewing yourself as the underdog there.

more importantly, you aren't actually defending them, quite the reverse: the main accusation against INFJs usually revolves around them using Ni to filter information based on what implications would make them look bad, and so far your reactions each and every time is that it can't be true because it makes you look bad. you are not defending INFJs from stereotypes, you are reinforcing the stereotypes.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
[MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION], are you seriously trying to take credit for standing up for your own group as standing up for the underdog? and while you are busy preaching humility, have you stopped to notice how over the years as people one by one come attack the underdog with what is clearly malicious real life stories and experiences intended to put you down the underdog down ganging up as a 1 person gang on the poor flock of harmless sheep doing nothing but rising up to defend themselves from anyone's experience.... rising up to the underdog together, poor things. nothing at all twisted and distorted about viewing yourself as the underdog there.

more importantly, you aren't actually defending them, quite the reverse: the main accusation against INFJs usually revolves around them using Ni to filter information based on what implications would make them look bad, and so far your reactions each and every time is that it can't be true because it makes you look bad. you are not defending INFJs from stereotypes, you are reinforcing the stereotypes.

She never looks bad. Never.

S

Society

She never looks bad. Never.

ofcourse not, that couldn't be a matter of perspective, how one behaves in a conflict never looks different from different perspectives of that conflict right? and besides, if she looked bad from any perspective that just proves those perspectives wrong & distorted. :coffee:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
ofcourse not, that couldn't be a matter of perspective, how one behaves in a conflict never looks different from different perspectives of that conflict does right? and besides, if she looked bad from any perspective that just proves those perspectives wrong & distorted. :coffee:

No. I love her and she's just fine. You should leave her alone.

S

Society

No. I love her and she's just fine. You should leave her alone.

i appreciate her, i've seen her being kind to others and once to me and i would say she's largely a good person, but there's a huge dissonance between that and not being able to see her from any perspective in which anything she says or does might have negative implications - in itself i wouldn't say that's really love either for that matter, its just selectively painting someone as something that might be easier to love.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
i appreciate her, i've seen her being kind to others and once to me and i would say she's largely a good person, but there's a huge dissonance between that and not being able to see her from any perspective in which anything she says or does might have negative implications.

Neither she, nor I, nor any of us are your ex-wife. Jesus. Have you tried therapy?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION], if you're the Solipsist Slayer, that applies pretty well to INTP's. They're pretty good at solipsism.

S

Society

Neither she, nor I, nor any of us are your ex-wife. Jesus. Have you tried therapy?
neither me or anyone else with an INFJ ex/mother//father/aunt/uncle/friend/coworker are demons from dimension Z conspiring to make you feel bad about yourself to use the negative emo power to reverse the polarity on the lock protecting the gates between the worlds and unleashing the dragon army.

...and clearly me canceling that option shows that its the underlining delusion on which your stance stands on. have you looked into medications?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And I'm pretty sure people of every type don't like to look bad, and whether they mistype because of it isn't type related.

S

Society

And I'm pretty sure people of every type don't like to look bad, and whether they mistype because of it isn't type related.

not liking to look bad and mentally blocking perspectives which make you look bad aren't the same thing - at least not for most people.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There have been some rather sweeping generalizations made based at best on limited anecdotal evidence, some in earnest, others perhaps in jest. While this is not against the rules, it is often unwelcome, especially to those so targeted.

In short: please rein it in a bit, and stay on topic.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
not liking to look bad and mentally blocking perspectives which make you look bad aren't the same thing - at least not for most people.
:notype:

If you're going to try to relate this to INFJ's you need to find a more neutral way of explaining it. Ni dominants can block perspectives in a way, but I think you'd have to do a lot more to try to connect it with mistyping if that's what you're trying to do.

that's sort of funny - i'd say those who reframed their understanding of typology to retype themselves because the previous one made them look bad... are a lot more likely to be INFJs.
Reframing an understanding of typology (to suit an agenda or otherwise) I would say could be related to Ti and Ni, and types with both would be more prone to playing with different formulations of theories. But I'd say Ti dom/aux would be just as likely to do this, primarily in relation to typing others.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I suppose that everybody wants to be somebody.

Sometimes, I think that people are just desperate and are looking for ways to say, "Notice me. I'm unique." But 4 letters doesn't make one anymore special than a zip code makes a town special. What makes a town special and unique from all other towns, even those in the same region with similar culture, are the characters living there. In the same way, what makes a person special is truly knowing herself (or himself) and being comfortable in his or her own skin, so to speak. it's the individual character, not the personality call letters.

So, whether my four letters read ESTJ or INFJ or INTJ or WARP, it doesn't change the essence of who I am and eventually, if I run my mouth long enough, the person I'm talking to is going to form his or her own opinion of me, anyway. It's not my responsibility to confirm or deny that opinion, but only to remain true to my own character. Still, the call letters are simply a beginning place on the journey to self-discovery. Many people will find that their initial typing was faulty, not just those who believe themselves to be INFJs.

I wouldn't say that everyone wants to be INFJ. I would say that many people have at least some reason to believe they are.

So, for example, if I discovered tomorrow or in the next five minutes that one in every three people had my identical cognitive functions preference, it really wouldn't make any difference, because I'd still be the only me and it would just mean there were a lot of AWESOME people in the world! (Just kidding. I'm not really that arrogant, but I do like myself and I don't see any point in lying about it!)

S

Society

Reframing an understanding of typology (to suit an agenda or otherwise) I would say could be related to Ti and Ni, and types with both would be more prone to playing with different formulations of theories. But I'd say Ti dom/aux would be just as likely to do this, primarily in relation to typing others.
except when Ti-Ne reframes something it doesn't in itself mentally cancel out other framings - not in itself, the closest that might seem like it is in using multiply perspectives to demonstrate internal contradictions by extrapolating statements from multiply perspectives, but the reason it can be used to show contradictions at all is because it assumes the perspectives co exist. its not the mere existence of the different perspective which negates the existence of another (as in the example demonstrated above - [MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION]'s puritan perspective of how she view's fia in itself is somehow supposed to negate my mixed perspective of [MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION]).

In short: please rein it in a bit, and stay on topic.
....isn't the thread topic a sweeping generalization (of mistyping) made on the OP's limited anecdotal evidence (the self-typing of active members)? how can you debate the generalization of whether a type is a more likely target for mistyping if you can't generalize about people who self type as that type?

yeghor

... "Notice me. I'm unique." But 4 letters doesn't make one anymore special than a zip code makes a town special. What makes a town special and unique from all other towns, even those in the same region with similar culture, are the characters living there. In the same way, what makes a person special is truly knowing herself (or himself) and being comfortable in his or her own skin, so to speak. it's the individual character, not the personality call letters....

Nor does enneagram 4 for that matter... :peepwall:

G

Ginkgo

As an INFP I will freely admit to needing the whole world to see me as a special snowflake because that's what my fragile, special snowflake ego needs to bolster it, lest it caves in and finally makes me buy another puppy.