• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is everyone an INFJ nowadays?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I should've been more specific. IN types should take them with a grain of salt as they generally seem to be the types who get the most bent out of shape. Perhaps that's exactly what he wants, perhaps not, but if people don't like his videos, or anyone else's videos, ranting about them on a public forum isn't going to help their cause. There is no such thing as bad exposure. I'm sure many of you are familiar with that famous Mick Jagger quote (paraphrasing): I don't care what's said about me on page X as long as my face is on the cover.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
overwhelming influx of mistypings feels like when you liked a band, and then you didn't want to see their shows anymore because the crowd was too gross. something important to you, that brought you to other people in a specific way, changed. sure the life narratives we use to help define ourselves are informed by this kind of thing, and everyone has their own way of arriving. but the salience, the motivation, and the sense of place that we get from it can be there, as something really shared, or not. i don't think that's such a stupid thing. it feels understandable to me. there can be a kind of palpable sanctity to groups. or not. when it is, that alone, regardless of the exact narrative or symbol set, can be a healing thing. it kind of depends. different resources for different things.

i personally don't see the special snowflake thing for infps, altho i do see it for e4s. i think e4s epitomize the problem of taking everything personally. they're more obsessed with feeling special, not as a goal, but simply because doing so is a natural tendency. they identify with their mood, and aren't exactly blessed with the most resolute, grounded, consistent emotional endurance. they set up so many disappointment traps for themselves and others when they're status imaging themselves and constricting their acceptable image so tightly. so they end up in a lot of loss and sadness, and if they don't wait it out patiently, and instead try to act, they can make it worse and really easily get caught in a self-shaming spiral. this is what it feels like for me, at least. i'm sure it has different characters for different subtypes. ultimately the shift is from hyperidentification with image to total disconnection. just pushing away themselves and others. trying to stay in control by drowning out what is actually happening. there's just a terribly difficult boundary issue when it comes to evaluation, prejudice, assumptions, that is really, really reactive. that is getting totally immersed in self-containment, or totally immersed in other-focus, and the intensity of that, coupled with the inherent mood instability, is difficult. if too much energy vitriol is happening between them, then you get the blowback past e2 into e8, until we just start to numb out, unable to escape into others or into ourselves, having burned ourselves up from the inside with resentment until we are nothing.

with that said, all types are literally a kind of specialization, and negotiating the perceived, stereotypical value of that is just something that happens. the inherent status attributed to those specializations is part of the inherent political game we play with others in groups. part of what grosses us out is having to let go of the status we have accumulated. part of it is when we lose the conditions for sharing as constructively when the game gets overrun. these can feel really alienating. our words and key concepts no longer mean what they used to mean to us, in the contexts that they were relevant. it's always a house made of sand, but that doesn't mean it isn't disappointing in some sense either.

i mean, on facebook, for instance, nearly every time i see someone post their type, i feel huge sweeping incredulity. all e7s seem to think they're enfps. 8s think they're F types. intps mistyping as infps. every e4 type thinking they're infp whether they're 3w4 entp, 5w4 intp, etc. i probably see more mistypes as infp and enfp than i do infj. or recently, a much more charismatic, gregarious than me enfp 7w8 student of mine was remarking that she was an infj. at times, her big personality kind of runs the class. maybe it's the introvert in me, but i just don't think there's anything wrong with trying to protect your space. i'm not saying that witch hunts are a good thing (which sound like an absence of listening, emotional unawareness, not owning one's own needs, etc). but i am saying that there are different groups for everyone, and that it seems okay to me to respect the fact that you need a more specific admission group. especially if you are really sensitive to alienation, or you want to have shared goals for the group, or anything like that. sharing purpose is a big part of why people come together, too.

with all that said, i've never belonged to an infj only group. they never seemed engaging to me, and i always seemed to find more legit (for me) interlocutors here or in other spaces based on shared interest. i mean, ultimately, there seems to be a lot of head type energy on this site, which supports a really engaging kind of shared inquiry. generally speaking, i enjoy interacting with np types the most anyway. i certainly feel incredibly strong solidarity with a few infjs, but that feeling is still a rather rare occurrence for the majority of the others, claimed or otherwise. in all actuality, i feel more consistent solidarity with e5s. enneagram self-typing generally seems a bit better. jungian is really difficult to find stable perspective to observe. i mean, for me, it's holding up individuals next to each other again and again until it starts to come into focus, and observing little details that can never by themselves be enough.

G

garbage

I should've been more specific. IN types should take them with a grain of salt as they generally seem to be the types who get the most bent out of shape. Perhaps that's exactly what he wants, perhaps not, but if people don't like his videos, or anyone else's videos, ranting about them on a public forum isn't going to help their cause. There is no such thing as bad exposure. I'm sure many of you are familiar with that famous Mick Jagger quote (paraphrasing): I don't care what's said about me on page X as long as my face is on the cover.
I don't care about the guy personally. I don't care whether I give him exposure or not. I have no "cause" to rebel against him or somesuch. I just think that the ideas he presents are just flat-out terrible, and it's a hilarious video; and that's what I'm speaking to.

G

Ginkgo

I don't care about the guy personally. I don't care whether I give him exposure or not. I have no "cause" to rebel against him or somesuch. I just think that the ideas he presents are just flat-out terrible, and it's a hilarious video; and that's what I'm speaking to.

I think he uses Typology as a platform to rant and doesn't give it much thought beyond that; for that reason his videos could easily be construed as an unintentional parody of Typology communities.

S

Society

to be fair, i very much doubt DJ arandee would argue that his video's shouldn't be taken with a good dose of salt and healthy skepticism.

G

Ginkgo

to be fair, i very much doubt DJ arandee would argue that his video's shouldn't be taken with a good dose of salt and healthy skepticism.

I suspect he wants to delete his YouTube channel.

G

garbage

I think he uses Typology as a platform to rant and doesn't give it much thought beyond that; for that reason his videos could easily be construed as an unintentional parody of Typology communities.
Either Poe's Law or a reverse Poe's Law. Maybe both, somehow :shock:

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Lol, you're an INFJ too now, or are you just messing around?

Haha, only messing around by posting here. I'm playing with the possibility of an Ni-Ti loop.
I recently met an INFJ girl who, if typed correctly, might deter me from settling on INFJ. She makes me look like an INTP.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes, he's not always right, but often I find his analyses to be right on target.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
overwhelming influx of mistypings feels like when you liked a band, and then you didn't want to see their shows anymore because the crowd was too gross. something important to you, that brought you to other people in a specific way, changed. sure the life narratives we use to help define ourselves are informed by this kind of thing, and everyone has their own way of arriving. but the salience, the motivation, and the sense of place that we get from it can be there, as something really shared, or not. i don't think that's such a stupid thing. it feels understandable to me. there can be a kind of palpable sanctity to groups. or not. when it is, that alone, regardless of the exact narrative or symbol set, can be a healing thing. it kind of depends. different resources for different things.

i personally don't see the special snowflake thing for infps, altho i do see it for e4s. i think e4s epitomize the problem of taking everything personally. they're more obsessed with feeling special, not as a goal, but simply because doing so is a natural tendency. they identify with their mood, and aren't exactly blessed with the most resolute, grounded, consistent emotional endurance. they set up so many disappointment traps for themselves and others when they're status imaging themselves and constricting their acceptable image so tightly. so they end up in a lot of loss and sadness, and if they don't wait it out patiently, and instead try to act, they can make it worse and really easily get caught in a self-shaming spiral. this is what it feels like for me, at least. i'm sure it has different characters for different subtypes. ultimately the shift is from hyperidentification with image to total disconnection. just pushing away themselves and others. trying to stay in control by drowning out what is actually happening. there's just a terribly difficult boundary issue when it comes to evaluation, prejudice, assumptions, that is really, really reactive. that is getting totally immersed in self-containment, or totally immersed in other-focus, and the intensity of that, coupled with the inherent mood instability, is difficult. if too much energy vitriol is happening between them, then you get the blowback past e2 into e8, until we just start to numb out, unable to escape into others or into ourselves, having burned ourselves up from the inside with resentment until we are nothing.

with that said, all types are literally a kind of specialization, and negotiating the perceived, stereotypical value of that is just something that happens. the inherent status attributed to those specializations is part of the inherent political game we play with others in groups. part of what grosses us out is having to let go of the status we have accumulated. part of it is when we lose the conditions for sharing as constructively when the game gets overrun. these can feel really alienating. our words and key concepts no longer mean what they used to mean to us, in the contexts that they were relevant. it's always a house made of sand, but that doesn't mean it isn't disappointing in some sense either.

i mean, on facebook, for instance, nearly every time i see someone post their type, i feel huge sweeping incredulity. all e7s seem to think they're enfps. 8s think they're F types. intps mistyping as infps. every e4 type thinking they're infp whether they're 3w4 entp, 5w4 intp, etc. i probably see more mistypes as infp and enfp than i do infj. or recently, a much more charismatic, gregarious than me enfp 7w8 student of mine was remarking that she was an infj. at times, her big personality kind of runs the class. maybe it's the introvert in me, but i just don't think there's anything wrong with trying to protect your space. i'm not saying that witch hunts are a good thing (which sound like an absence of listening, emotional unawareness, not owning one's own needs, etc). but i am saying that there are different groups for everyone, and that it seems okay to me to respect the fact that you need a more specific admission group. especially if you are really sensitive to alienation, or you want to have shared goals for the group, or anything like that. sharing purpose is a big part of why people come together, too.

with all that said, i've never belonged to an infj only group. they never seemed engaging to me, and i always seemed to find more legit (for me) interlocutors here or in other spaces based on shared interest. i mean, ultimately, there seems to be a lot of head type energy on this site, which supports a really engaging kind of shared inquiry. generally speaking, i enjoy interacting with np types the most anyway. i certainly feel incredibly strong solidarity with a few infjs, but that feeling is still a rather rare occurrence for the majority of the others, claimed or otherwise. in all actuality, i feel more consistent solidarity with e5s. enneagram self-typing generally seems a bit better. jungian is really difficult to find stable perspective to observe. i mean, for me, it's holding up individuals next to each other again and again until it starts to come into focus, and observing little details that can never by themselves be enough.

We could make hipster memes about this all day. "I was INFJ before it was mainstream."

Cygnus

His videos should be taken with a grain of salt. They're meant to be humorous and provoke responses from people, whether negative or positive.

That's sort of how STPs operate, seeing as they lack intuitive types' ability to see (very well) beyond what can be read externally. Let's not fault him for that.

So let me get this straight. You people see DJ's observations as nothing more than angry bias, yet you don't step back for a second to consider if your opinion of N's superiority over S is bias or not?

Ne reads just as externally as Se, it just deals in different type of information leading to different perception of reality. Both have equal amounts of perception.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Xj8Yytc.gif

To consciously masquerade as a type to feel more rare and special might indicate extreme immaturity and insecurity on that person's part.

Also, while we're on the topic of INFPs wanting to be INFJs, I don't understand why a person of a type that itself is somewhat rare would need or want to masquerade as another rare type. I don't think this is about people wanting to be rare so much as it is about them being misled by general stereotypes which surround the various MBTI types.

In the case of INFPs, I think a lot of them read the negative INFP stereotypes online and simply can't relate. INFPs are often portrayed as ubersensitive emo kids who will cry over a broken blade of grass. I've known a couple INFPs and none of them fit that image at all. One of them (my best friend, actually) can even come off as a tough smart ass. At first glance, I probably wouldn't figure him for INFP (at least if I were to type him based solely on the information found on the internet). Granted, I'm sure some of them develop a seemingly thick skin and somewhat tough attitude perhaps after being hurt one too many times in their younger years.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that I think some of these INFPs can't relate to any of their type descriptions, then read the INFJ type descriptions (a type surrounded by just as many false or exaggerated stereotypes), which often portray INFJs as little more than INFPs with thicker skin and a certain function which type descriptions have yet to phrase in a way that doesn't make it sound like the equivalent of some ancient mystical wizard power.

Forgive me if my post is incoherent or redundant, I've yet to drink my morning coffee.

MUCH better breakdown of why an INFP may mistype as INFJ. Thank you.

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
It'd be nice if I/we could run EEG tests on massive amounts of people (it's extremely expensive)... but outside of MBTI being a typology system... another reason as to why it isn't celebrated (it's not necessarily neglected) in the scientific community is because it has turned into pop psychology. A personality giant has told me that it's harder for scientists to take it seriously when the norm would already have such strong, preconceived notions about it. In essence, we'd have to get extra clever to get fair readings... and most of us would rather put in time to publish more effectively (not to mention, not many researchers are more invested in MBTI than they are in the Big Five and theories like it).

To the extent that the MBTI would remain solely to be 'pop psychology'... there will be continued misinformed discussions. At the same time, people could continue to 'explore' rather than 'conclude'... (although there isn't much advancement when people would take explorations as conclusions).

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
^ and there's another one! :eeep:

Just a side note: I know what you're saying, but technically EEG's themselves don't cost much. Once you have the equipment, you just need the skills and knowledge to do the recording and analyze the data. For a medical diagnosis, all of that gets expensive. For just research, not so much.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
its true. also the fact that I have publicly pronounced that INFJs are my official dual personality, loads of deluded women who want to feel "desirable" by an "authority" have surfaced.

You would not believe how many clients I have arguing with me when I tell them they arent infj. It happens at least twice a month. First they pay me to help them find their type, then they doll up on webcam and look pretty, and then I tell them they are entj or infp or esfj and suddenly there is a lot of frustration in the session. In the end I take their money and they remain the type they have chosen to be, regardless of how incorrect it is, and I milk these petty desperate filth for their money in hourly sessions. Its especially hilarious when they try to tell me what the function defi itions are as theyve defined them and how my understanding is wrong.

Dont pay for my for help when it isnt wanted.

S

Society

I've been away for awhile, so before I left many INFJs were jumping ship to become other types because of the whole "my evil ex was an INFJ, so I hate you too!" threads that permeated the forum for a while.

that's sort of funny - i'd say those who reframed their understanding of typology to retype themselves because the previous one made them look bad... are a lot more likely to be INFJs.

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Just a side note: I know what you're saying, but technically EEG's themselves don't cost much. Once you have the equipment, you just need the skills and knowledge to do the recording and analyze the data. For a medical diagnosis, all of that gets expensive. For just research, not so much.

I've worked with EEG; I'm saying that getting the equipment... the "okay" to run experiments and paying people to be a part of them is expensive. We've paid people over $100 each (however, over many sessions).

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

its true. also the fact that I have publicly pronounced that INFJs are my official dual personality, loads of deluded women who want to feel "desirable" by an "authority" have surfaced.

You would not believe how many clients I have arguing with me when I tell them they arent infj. It happens at least twice a month. First they pay me to help them find their type, then they doll up on webcam and look pretty, and then I tell them they are entj or infp or esfj and suddenly there is a lot of frustration in the session. In the end I take their money and they remain the type they have chosen to be, regardless of how incorrect it is, and I milk these petty desperate filth for their money in hourly sessions. Its especially hilarious when they try to tell me what the function defi itions are as theyve defined them and how my understanding is wrong.

Dont pay for my for help when it isnt wanted.

That does sound hilarious.