• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is everyone an INFJ nowadays?

L

LadyLazarus

You don't need to tell me you don't give a crap. I just assume so. I do as I please too. I give my opinion and it's up to the person whether they listen to it or not. I just want to express myself.

You don't think you are doing this to feed your ego? Rants are some of the most ego driven things I've ever seen. If you say so. Everyone does something to feed their ego though. If you identify with an enneagram type, then you are admitting to exactly this.

You give me the impression of someone with a strong super ego. I didn't really say much of anything and you are already reacting in a way that thinks people are trying to bite your head off. You make it a point that you don't care if anyone agree or disagree. There's this critic inside of you. It's as if you are arguing with it. It comes across to me, a stranger from the outside, like an extreme reaction.

There are certain patterns I notice of certain types. Type 6 is the one that tend to want to have everything fair. They are egalitarian. They are more fixated on this than other types. Your post style and reactions just remind me so much of people I knew back in perC. Both friends and random posters.

Fair point,I could see 6.

w7 or w5 though?

Booger Cop

MBTI Type
IXXX
Fair point,I could see 6.

w7 or w5 though?

I think your dominant wing is 7. You're not very careful in how you construct what you say. The 5 brings about more contemplative energy because of avarice. You just say it as it is and whimsical, giving the impression of someone who might be an ambivert. I feel ya on the whole certain types are overrated thing btw. Unfair to attribute another entire type to mistyping though lol. cough*infps*cough That ain't right.

2cents yo

L

LadyLazarus

I think your dominant wing is 7. You're not very careful in how you construct what you say. The 5 brings about more contemplative energy because of avarice. You just say it as it is and whimsical, giving the impression of someone who might be an ambivert. I feel ya on the whole certain types are overrated thing btw. Unfair to attribute another entire type to mistyping though lol. cough*infps*cough That ain't right.

2cents yo
Thanks for the perspective.No,no,no I am strictly an omnivore.

But seriously,yeah I could definitely see that.I am going to be taking this into serious consideration.

I do apologize about blowing up at you initially,I get a little ahead of myself sometimes.:dry:

Yeah,fine,that was kind of fucked up of me...sorry INFP's,but to be fair I did throw the ISFJ's(how come no one comments about them?) into the fire with you guys!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think people should be free to self-identify however they want. I try to respect that. It's no skin off my nose if I don't see them the way they see themselves and they are likely to know more about themselves than I do the vast majority of the time. It's just a silly soft-science (I'm being generous) thingy. Totally prone the Forer effect and a step or two above one's astrological sign. IMO. But I've been on MBTI forums of one kind or another for a long time, so I think I'm more interested in interacting with the type of people that are interested in MBTI than I am in MBTI, etc at this point.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think people should be free to self-identify however they want. I try to respect that. It's no skin off my nose if I don't see them the way they see themselves and they are likely to know more about themselves than I do the vast majority of the time. It's just a silly soft-science (I'm being generous) thingy. Totally prone the Forer effect and a step or two above one's astrological sign. IMO. But I've been on MBTI forums of one kind or another for a long time, so I think I'm more interested in interacting with the type of people that are interested in MBTI than I am in MBTI, etc at this point.

I'm glad you said this. I don't think typing does oneself justice.

And really, if INFJs are the "counselors" of the types I would expect higher concentrations in typology forums than in the fray.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I'm glad you said this. I don't think typing does oneself justice.

And really, if INFJs are the "counselors" of the types I would expect higher concentrations in typology forums than in the fray.

Lol, you're an INFJ too now, or are you just messing around?

G

garbage

Hey

Hey

Where does the notion that some types are insanely rare come from? It seems to me that the origin is in the CPP statistics, but then it got all screwed up in a positive feedback loop where rarity became a trait of the type.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LALALALALALLALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALALALA

To think I was part of this INFP INFJ thingy.

Cygnus

In other words, circular reasoning. A combination of rarity, disconnection from reality, and supposed higher intelligence (possibly due to just being better test-takers). It creates a messianic "story" in which the intuitive (or person mistyping as one) thinks they're the hero. The supporting facts may not all be true, but they fit together with each other so well that "it just has to be true!"

I guarantee you there are as many INTPs as there are ISTPs and as many ISFPs as INFPs.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you honestly believe an INFJ forum is the best place to cite for evidence on INFJ's?

Is it the best place to form impressions of INFPs?

Hey it was just my opinion;you don't have to accept it:shrug:.

No, it's oft repeated propaganda, which oddly enough, does not promote the end it seems to desire (to identify the "fake INFJs") because it belittles other types.

If anyone's being condescending here it's you sweetheart,I mean just look at the tone of your post,you're no better than anyone and neither am I,difference is;I'm aware of it.

The tone of my post is frustration with the inability of others to form any logical argument for why INFPs supposedly have special snow syndrome, yet INFJs don't. There is given no solid evidence or rational line of reasoning to support that, & yet even when this is pointed out, it goes unquestioned. There is emphasis & repetition in my posts because of how people refuse to see this, likely because they'd have to examine themselves & their prejudices.

This is not a sheer emotional reaction - this is valid objection to prejudice. Calmly tolerating prejudice doesn't make other people more reasonable, mature or correct.

There is no attack on INFJs. Those who have framed it that way are wrong. First of all, they are not attacked simply because their flaws are discussed anymore than any other type is. Second of all, my posts were primarily a calling out of an often perpetuated & unfounded stereotype about INFPs that is degrading. It's asking why this is treatment acceptable towards INFPs yet not towards INFJs? There is a double standard here. INFJs are given benefit of the doubt; but with no factual support, INFPs are unquestionably characterized as having "special snowflake syndrome". The unquestioning part is disturbing. Because it's repeated so often, it's just accepted as "fact".

yeghor

:shrug:

I thought I was INFJ for a while, but I never felt particularly special or unique about it. Nor do I feel that way about being INTP. If anything, I feel even less special and brilliant when I read how intelligent and ingenious INTPs supposedly are, then look at myself and see someone who isn't particularly brilliant or unique and is circling the drain of failure.

That's Ti's doing perhaps...?

yeghor

LALALALALALLALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALALALA

To think I was part of this INFP INFJ thingy.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=20868]tsunderes[/MENTION], you are one funny bunny :wubbie:

I've been away for awhile, so before I left many INFJs were jumping ship to become other types because of the whole "my evil ex was an INFJ, so I hate you too!" threads that permeated the forum for a while.

I realize MBTI likes categorical boxes to put people in, but I think it is more realistic to see each type as a theoretical point. (It's really late, so please forgive this head trip…) Imagine a four dimensional grid that contains the sixteen types as points. People fall as different spots between these points. For INFJ this means that for each letter there is a continuum between two endpoints. So there is this continuum between INFJ and ISFJ between which many people fall. There is also a continuum between INFJ and INTJ, etc. etc. When we create categories, we are just drawing arbitrary lines dividing these continuum. In this way, INFJ could be the rarest type if we just draw the category lines close to the endpoint. If we want a bigger category, then we draw the lines further out. It could be fair to say that the distribution along the Si-Ni continuum is more heavily populated towards the Si end, so that drawing a line halfway in-between would still result in more ISFJs than INFJs, but still, I hope my point is taken.

This is why I don't really care whether the type is rare or common because I think it is based on how you organize the theory. Sometimes it feels good to be rare, and sometimes it feels good to have something in common with more people.

G

garbage

I realize MBTI likes categorical boxes to put people in, but I think it is more realistic to see each type as a theoretical point. (It's really late, so please forgive this head trip…) Imagine a four dimensional grid that contains the sixteen types as points. People fall as different spots between these points. For INFJ this means that for each letter there is a continuum between two endpoints. So there is this continuum between INFJ and ISFJ between which many people fall. There is also a continuum between INFJ and INTJ, etc. etc. When we create categories, we are just drawing arbitrary lines dividing these continuum. In this way, INFJ could be the rarest type if we just draw the category lines close to the endpoint. If we want a bigger category, then we draw the lines further out. It could be fair to say that the distribution along the Si-Ni continuum is more heavily populated towards the Si end, so that drawing a line halfway in-between would still result in more ISFJs than INFJs, but still, I hope my point is taken.
Yup. Categorizing anything involves drawing a line somewhere, since damn near everything on the planet is continuous. Inevitably, some information gets lost, but we've simplified the problem.

I'd post examples if I weren't typing on a phone :(

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For the record, I do want to state that I agree with the points raised by [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]

For instance, I do agree with the fact that their flaws should be up for discussion just as much as the rest - though this kind of conversation seems to always somehow fall into the trap of becoming a bashing session, no matter the type, ime. And I do agree that the special snowflake stereotype for INFPs is one of the hardest ones to get rid of - and often untrue. Special snowflake syndrome happens in all types - mostly in people who just feel misunderstood and isolated in their lives, and that includes Infjs.

The problem is that that 'rarity' line in the INFJ and INTJ profiles tends to attract the people who are susceptible to that feeling. Whether they are in fact INFJ or not. And from what I've seen, both non-INFJs and INFJs with special snowflake syndrome are more likely to go on a witch hunt and crusade to 'unmask' supposedly fake infjs more readily and protect their special status.

Hell, the same happens with being NTs. How often didn't we laugh on here in the early years that typing as NT meant you had to earn your T-card first,coz they got tested, prodded and second-guessed from the moment they stepped in here, since there is a preference to type T and be considered 'rational and smart', especially for men. :rolleyes:

Get rid of the 'playing favourites' with types and you'll see whole lot less of this. Hell, that was the mission of this place in the first place: to bridge that gap and have equal appreciation for each type.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Xj8Yytc.gif

To consciously masquerade as a type to feel more rare and special might indicate extreme immaturity and insecurity on that person's part.

Also, while we're on the topic of INFPs wanting to be INFJs, I don't understand why a person of a type that itself is somewhat rare would need or want to masquerade as another rare type. I don't think this is about people wanting to be rare so much as it is about them being misled by general stereotypes which surround the various MBTI types.

In the case of INFPs, I think a lot of them read the negative INFP stereotypes online and simply can't relate. INFPs are often portrayed as ubersensitive emo kids who will cry over a broken blade of grass. I've known a couple INFPs and none of them fit that image at all. One of them (my best friend, actually) can even come off as a tough smart ass. At first glance, I probably wouldn't figure him for INFP (at least if I were to type him based solely on the information found on the internet). Granted, I'm sure some of them develop a seemingly thick skin and somewhat tough attitude perhaps after being hurt one too many times in their younger years.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that I think some of these INFPs can't relate to any of their type descriptions, then read the INFJ type descriptions (a type surrounded by just as many false or exaggerated stereotypes), which often portray INFJs as little more than INFPs with thicker skin and a certain function which type descriptions have yet to phrase in a way that doesn't make it sound like the equivalent of some ancient mystical wizard power.

Forgive me if my post is incoherent or redundant, I've yet to drink my morning coffee.