Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default Ne vs Se

Would like some insight on comparing and contrasting these two functions.

I don't feel like I have a great grasp on Se. It's come up a few times recently where a person was questioning whether they were using Ne or Se, and I'd like to hear a little bit of discussion as to how these two functions might appear the same, how they might appear different, how they actually are similar, and their actual underlying differences.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

It's hard for me to explain, but Se is just way more "grounded". Both are scatter shot and unplanned, but Se overall seems way less random. You can sort of pin it down and figure out where it came from. Ne, you can't. I am bais though; I enjoy Se, Ne though really rubbs me the wrong way (much to the delight of Ne doms, lol).
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

WALMART

Socrates (Se) Vs Diogenes (Ne)

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    It's hard for me to explain, but Se is just way more "grounded". Both are scatter shot and unplanned, but Se overall seems way less random. You can sort of pin it down and figure out where it came from. Ne, you can't. I am bais though; I enjoy Se, Ne though really rubbs me the wrong way (much to the delight of Ne doms, lol).
    so would you say that Ne has steps between leaps that are less obvious and take place on a conceptual rather than concrete level? that seems really 'typology 101' to me, but i think you're right. maybe it's harder for me as an Ne dom to tell how random someone is being. i suppose it gives me a pretty high tolerance for randomness.

i also have a hard time knowing if someone is working in concepts sometimes. i don't think the underpinnings of the connections i make are always readily apparent, so i don't usually expect to understand someone else's. it's also possible that i assign their connections my own personal analysis, when in reality they were doing something much more straightforward.

i'd love to learn to sidestep my Ne bias in order to see their differences more clearly.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Stansmith

The conclusions that Se-doms come to seem more drastic and limiting (lower Ni), especially when unhealthy or less self-aware. I don't usually expect Ne-doms to say things like "All girls do such-and-such", "All *blank* people should *blank*", or "anyone who does so-and-so is yadda-yadda-yadda", at least not seriously.

Socionics
    ILI

Se sees objective reality, unfettered by any extra data. They are the ones that stick to the facts and what's in front of them over anything that seems out of reality.

Ne sees objective possibility, unfettered by one viewpoint. Ne users see a thousand and one things that can happen and know how to pursue those possibilities.

Se - What is

Ne - What might be

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Ne- Making inferences from available data
    Se- Making observations of available data

They're very similar.

Se: (describing a butterfly) red, big wings, two antennae, etc.(I'm not Se so I haven't really observed a butterfly's physical traits)
    Ne: (describing a butterfly) probably a girl, looks like it's from next door, I wonder if people could fly with wings like that.

The point is that both functions would take the time to consider a butterfly of no consequence to their being.

Se
    I am one with the room. I feel the room. Without touching him, I know whether Jimmy will fall over if I push him or if he'll stand up straight. I can look at the bodily positions of the people in the room and tell who's the ringleader, who are the peons, etc.

A la EJarendee, can't take credit for that

Ne
    I'm taking a test. I can feel the test. I am one with the test. If I'm not sure as to the answer of a question and I have to circle an answer, to what level of detail should I go as to what information the questions are asking for? If I skim this document for content, what will be significant? What will be my "frame" of working in if I have to write a response to this document?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    so would you say that Ne has steps between leaps that are less obvious and take place on a conceptual rather than concrete level? that seems really 'typology 101' to me, but i think you're right. maybe it's harder for me as an Ne dom to tell how random someone is being. i suppose it gives me a pretty high tolerance for randomness.

i also have a hard time knowing if someone is working in concepts sometimes. i don't think the underpinnings of the connections i make are always readily apparent, so i don't usually expect to understand someone else's. it's also possible that i assign their connections my own personal analysis, when in reality they were doing something much more straightforward.

i'd love to learn to sidestep my Ne bias in order to see their differences more clearly.
    Yeah I would say that is accurate. I'm of the opinion that the simpler one can keep an explanation, the better (assuming it is not an oversimplication). For the purposes of this though, it suffices.

I had to learn to sidestep my Ni bias's when I was younger. It was hard and always a work in progress. If I could do it though, you certainly can .
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    1) What is 2+2

Se: 4
    Ne: A stock phrase used to represent a standard and very simple math problem

Guess who got that question right?