User Tag List

First 34567 Last

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    I often get the impression that Ne-doms are always seeing 'the light', while SeNi users almost seem like they're being held back by their own neuroses and obsessions, especially if they're in some sort of Ni-Ji/Ji-Ni loop.
    r u sure

MBTI
    ENTP

Hmm, I don't know if I can reinforce that connection, but I do identify with recognizing most things as part of a neutral whole... sort of 3D, greyscale concepts viewed from different perspectives, through differently colored lenses.

...which is one reason it's kind of ironic I'm drawn to personality psychology; for a long time I've held the stance that personality is a flaw, a kind of ignorance. That's unrelated, though.

I want my account deleted
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

On the Ni shifting perspective thing, an addition/expansion to what I wrote earlier:

I'm thinking more about this Ni "shifting perspective" piece. Something about your specific example and its flavor distracted me but the shifting perspective thing is relevant IMO.

I found a thread with comments that say it in a way that resonates more clearly with how I experience it. This may have been precisely what you were saying/trying to get at in the OP, just in different words. Anyway, these comments are more accurate to my experience/perception without the distraction I (for some reason) got from your example:

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    In a more practical sense, when you are discussing a topic and someone reframes the question -- not because they have had past experience with the question, but are simply able to see this on the fly -- and so reveals the bias that was in play before, well, that is one visible use of Ni.

I've seen it happen on the forums here repeatedly by INxJ types.

If you imagine the discussion/problem as a three-dimensional object, and everyone is standing on one side of the problem, viewing it from that angle, the person using Ni walks to a different side of the problem and sees it from a different angle.

Often we assume that we are viewing something objectively, when actually there are many different perspectives that would change how we assess things. It is all a matter of where we position ourselves and place our feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I identify with what Jen has described. My own mental picture of the process is to hold the idea in my hand like a large faceted stone and turn it around in my hands so I can see different sides of it. I can't not do this.

If someone tells me that something is ________, I can't help picking it up and turning it around to see if it is still ________ from a different angle. Usually it doesn't look quite the same way if you look at it from another side. It's a little disorienting at times.
    All of the quoted material makes sense to me from Ni-dom experience with perspective shifting, and the bolded descriptions are particularly accurate to my experience.

I think that the Ni subjectivity within a larger landscape may sensitize our perception to the importance of specific location in affecting perception (did that make sense at all outside my head? It's clear to me but an odd sentence).

In case that didn't make any sense outside my head .... Meaning: when it comes to Ni perception, I know that I'm in a huge landscape and am perceiving it from where I specifically stand/am located in that moment. I know that I haven't created this landscape, it is outside of me. I know I can perceive from my own specific location in any given moment, and I also know that there are other locations in the landscape that reveal different perceptions due to different location in the larger whole. I also seem to have some freedom of movement in the landscape, so am able to move around to perceive from at least some other locations (one at a time, but the movement can be relatively fast).

(Also, I haven't gone through the whole thread from which the above-quoted descriptions emerge, but there may be some additional useful info there from Ni-dom perspectives. Though it is a really old thread.) eta: not so much.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Werebudgie View Post
    On the Ni shifting perspective thing, an addition/expansion to what I wrote earlier:

I'm thinking more about this Ni "shifting perspective" piece. Something about your specific example and its flavor distracted me but the shifting perspective thing is relevant IMO.

I found a thread with comments that say it in a way that resonates more clearly with how I experience it. This may have been precisely what you were saying/trying to get at in the OP, just in different words. Anyway, these comments are more accurate to my experience/perception without the distraction I (for some reason) got from your example:

All of the quoted material makes sense to me from Ni-dom experience with perspective shifting, and the bolded descriptions are particularly accurate to my experience.

I think that the Ni subjectivity within a larger landscape may sensitize our perception to the importance of specific location in affecting perception (did that make sense at all outside my head? It's clear to me but an odd sentence).

In case that didn't make any sense outside my head .... Meaning: when it comes to Ni perception, I know that I'm in a huge landscape and am perceiving it from where I specifically stand/am located in that moment. I know that I haven't created this landscape, it is outside of me. I know I can perceive from my own specific location in any given moment, and I also know that there are other locations in the landscape that reveal different perceptions due to different location in the larger whole. I also seem to have some freedom of movement in the landscape, so am able to move around to perceive from at least some other locations (one at a time, but the movement can be relatively fast).

(Also, I haven't gone through the whole thread from which the above-quoted descriptions emerge, but there may be some additional useful info there from Ni-dom perspectives. Though it is a really old thread.)
    Welp, guess I'm supporting the connection after all.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    So I think I now know what Ni is like when its used.

Its seeing the whole picture at all times. Both sides of the same coin. When someone says they are "Strong Willed" that also implies that they are "Stubbornly narrow sighted." If someone says they are "very shy" it also means they are "good at keeping secrets." If someone says they are a psychopath, another may argue they are "willing to do what others are not."

For every bad there is somehow a good. A yin and a yang.
    Yea this is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    I think Ne and Ni are the same in this "multiple perspective" aspect, but Ne is objective and Ni is subjective. So an Ni user is more prone to thinking something is horribly wrong, when the relationship is going amazing. Meanwhile an Ne user probably only sees the objective perspectives that are actually happening.
    I remember when you did a video and described the difference between Se and Si.

You said that Se just see's a buncha dirty dishes in the sink.

Si knows that from past experience those dishes grow mold on them if left in the sink too long. Si would have a connection to the past in this way cause they have physically experienced it.

Ni does the same thing...except with a connection to future, and doesn't need to physically experience it.

It just automatically knows that it's a bad idea to leave the dishes unwashed in the sink for too long. And it's because it references context over time.

It doesn't necessarily need to see mold on dishes ever in life.

Ni could have just seen something dirty sitting somewhere or left out not having to do with dishes...and saw it got mold there....and referenced that context....and swapped it out with the present context.

Make sense? Probably a simplistic example. I know there's more to it than that.

But it's the same thing with your relationship example.

I would argue that objective perception functions may not be paranoid enough. lol
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

I want my account deleted
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    Hmm, I don't know if I can reinforce that connection, but I do identify with recognizing most things as part of a neutral whole... sort of 3D, greyscale concepts viewed from different perspectives, through differently colored lenses.
    Hmm, so maybe one problem I had with the shifting perspective example in the OP is that it's binary/two-dimensional/either-or and thus for me would be like a flattened unreal suffocating landscape with terribly limited perspective and movement. I notice that the descriptions that resonate more with me - the ones I quoted and yours, too, as I look at it - are three dimensional. (random note: actually, time is also a coordinate in the landscape for me, so maybe more than three dimensions, but at least three).

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Today I picked this thread to entirely read through it lol

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Lets take a worlds best car driver and worlds best car mechanic for as an example. This hypothetical car mechanic knows how the engine works, what metal is used where and why, why the certain screws are tightened with certain force etc etc, but isnt a very good driver. And this hypothetical car driver knows next to nothing about the screws and the bolts, but is able to drive any car flawlessly after testing it out for 5 seconds. Sooo, which one of the guys has more deeper and accurate understanding of cars? Yes you guessed it, its the car mechanic, the driver only knows all about how to use a car, not so much about a car itself.

Whether the driving skills or knowledge of car mechanics is more important to someone, its their personal thing and i dont think that one is somehow better than another. Its just that i prefer the knowledge more and there is my functional bias
    Bad example. The driver could still be using Ti for his skills, just uses it for something else, not for understanding the insides of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    I often get the impression that Ne-doms are always seeing 'the light', while SeNi users almost seem like they're being held back by their own neuroses and obsessions, especially if they're in some sort of Ni-Ji/Ji-Ni loop.
    So Ne-doms can't have neuroses and obsessions? No? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    Did you even read my post?
    I read your post and I can see why @Werebudgie made that conclusion. If you disagree, how about you explain why?

Note: I see from your profile that you're "DJ ARENDEE." I've seen some of your stuff on YouTube and if my memory serves, you have seemed to me to have a bit of a (socionics-fueled?) obsession with Ni-doms - INFJs specifically, given some sort of assumed complementary oppositeness in our types or something? (I realize I'm mixing MBTI and socionics here, I may be misremembering but it seemed kind of like that's what you were doing. All very vague memory, though, so I could be inaccurate in some way here). Anyway, I'm not sure if or how that's relevant to your current efforts to understand and describe Ni in other people including us Ni-doms, but it seems to me there's some flavor underneath your efforts to understand Ni that may be related somehow to this other stuff. I know that's vague, but will leave it in anyway.
    It's not vague at all. You're right about this guess. To me it's pretty obvious how it's related. I just don't understand why he hasn't yet figured out why it's the wrong approach.

No worries I think I understood. Of course not as well as a Ni-dom But I get the meaning of the sentence.

I do want to ask one thing, if the landscape is outside of you, why is this still introverted intuition? Or are you referring to Se in some way there?

Hmm, so maybe one problem I had with the shifting perspective example in the OP is that it's binary/two-dimensional/either-or and thus for me would be like a flattened unreal suffocating landscape with terribly limited perspective and movement. I notice that the descriptions that resonate more with me - the ones I quoted and yours, too, as I look at it - are three dimensional. (random note: actually, time is also a coordinate in the landscape for me, so maybe more than three dimensions, but at least three).
    Yes it seemed very two-dimensional to me too. It must be nice to have a four-dimensional version though...

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    Ni could have just seen something dirty sitting somewhere or left out not having to do with dishes...and saw it got mold there....and referenced that context....and swapped it out with the present context.

Make sense? Probably a simplistic example. I know there's more to it than that.
    Hahah funny example! I know when I first moved into an apartment it didn't sink into my head for a while that it's a good idea to wash up the dishes in time. After enough exposure to mold, washing all that up, I decided I didn't really want to mess with that. That worked well as a sort of conditioning and I got more diligent about washing them up in time. Took a while to get this response conditioned though as I easily just give no two fucks about mess by default. What function is that then? Hahahah

I would argue that objective perception functions may not be paranoid enough. lol
    No, I would say they have just the right amount of paranoia - less is usually better than more, in this case. ;p

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

yeah, just a little Ne-dom contribution here.

Ne paranoia is a real thing. we see the good and the worst and everything in between in a situation. we can pick up on one perceived bad vibe and in seconds be so scared that everything's wrong and going to hell fast.

i think the difference (from what i've perceived) is that we keep other options open too. we can see that worst case scenario and still see all of the other possible scenarios simultaneously. i feel like Ni-doms get set on one trail and follow it all the way down, while Ne-doms see that as a possibility, but see it as just that: one possible scenario. we're open to anything that might give us evidence to support, refute, or modify any of those lines of thought. and seek it out hard in times of distress.

EDIT: i don't claim to understand Ni, so i'm open to hearing if i'm wrong about any this. just sharing my thoughts and impressions.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Socionics
    ILI

Let's do a fun example of the perception functions.

Say there is an object covered with a blanket concealing any revealing information about the object. (I have another one of these analogies on another thread with a swimming pool).

Se: Based on the shape of the object protruding through the blanket, I can estimate that it is probably [insert item]. (Objective awareness, looking directly at the facts, what's in front of you, and attempting to reason situations through objective sensory data)

Si: I've seen [insert item]s that possess about the same shape before, and it looks exactly the same as the shape of the object I remember; therefore, I think it is [insert]. (Subjective awareness, remembering and realizing exactly what sensory details mean to you but not to others and using that conclusion to solve situations in the future)

Ne: Hmmm, I could take a guess by the shape of the objects but there is simply so many things that could be under that blanket, for all we know, it could be several objects together to make it look like another object. (Objective Abstraction, seeing all of the possible angles to a situation)

Ni: It's a(n) [insert item]; don't ask me how I know, because I can't tell you, I just know that it is [insert item] and I have no idea why I think this, it just seems like it is. (Subjective Abstraction, looking beneath the exterior without actually looking beneath it, being tuned in to patterns that seem distant from reality)

Introverted intuition is being able to figure out abstract patterns behind reality based on instinct and interpret what those abstract patterns are in relevance to you to be utilized via a Je function.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    I read your post and I can see why @Werebudgie made that conclusion. If you disagree, how about you explain why?
    I don't really see a point.