• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Teach us how to use your two top functions!

Alea_iacta_est

FWIW, that's not how Ni with Fe-aux actually works a lot of the time in me. In me, Fe-aux generally flows in the other direction - meaning, it initially assigns a high default legitimacy to external values and judgements. So Ni or Ni-Se gets that quick impression/gut sense/visceral information you may be referring to, but Fe-aux undermines that as a valid source of information. Fe-aux would orient me to downplay that Ni or Ni-Se information in favor of what people claim is going on, if there is a difference (and there quite often is). In order to trust Ni, I have to go against that Fe-aux push. This means that in order to act on that visceral Ni information, I can't judge at all if I am to act quickly. If I am to act quickly on the information, all I can do is perceive. If I try to judge - that is, use an actual judging function - I'm left with Ti to take the long way around.

So I would say this about Ni (and even more so for Ni integrated with Se as it increasingly is in me) from my perspective. How to use Ni/Ni-dom-with-Se-serving-Ni? Attend to how your body feels both literally and metaphorically. Attend to the visceral/gut sense, images, flashes of knowing that you get when moving through an environment. Don't try to understand what it means in conscious terms, trust the information in its unprocessed form. Act directly from that perception. Like listening to sound and responding in action to what you hear without running it through conscious processing.

To the example about other people, this would fit with the difference between what people will say upfront and what they resonate outward on the specific visceral level that I specifically (Ni is subjective, linked my specific function and location) attuned to receive. In my case, that visceral level can be like musical notes or frequencies, with the truth of them is in their actual vibration (if that's the right word, like a string vibrating) rather than in the narrative of what anyone presents or says upfront. I've found similar stuff to be true with land, except that the overlay there is the human structural overlay rather than the ego or group narrative overlay.

This particular example was to Ni-Te. Ni, when used in tandem with Te, allows you to somewhat accurately read the thoughts of people if you so desired. I often know what other people are thinking and can use that to my advantage.

My understanding of it is that Ni-Fe can read people's emotions while Ni-Te (when actually put to this use) can read people's thoughts.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
This particular example was to Ni-Te. Ni, when used in tandem with Te, allows you to somewhat accurately read the thoughts of people if you so desired. I often know what other people are thinking and can use that to my advantage.

I must have misunderstood that the discussion was related back to this comment, or must have misunderstood the part in bold:

Ni -

Act on your first impression of something, don't think about it, just do what your instinct tells you. You could try this with strangers maybe if you wanted an Ni-Fe combination. Look at one and then judge that person based on your first impression of them.

I thought you were describing Ni-Fe since that's what source comment seemed to say.

My understanding of it is that Ni-Fe can read people's emotions while Ni-Te (when actually put to this use) can read people's thoughts.

My understanding is that the Jungian/MBTI cognitive function "feeling" is a judging function that judges based on human values. My understanding is that it is not about emotions despite common other usage of the word feeling as synonymous with emotion. As I understand it and experience it, Fe orients to values (cognitive function's "feeling") external to the specific individual (extroverted). Certainly this is the case with me.

I'll leave you to be the expert on how Ni-Te works in you.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Look at someone that's talking to another person. See when they move and smile, and watch how the other person responds. Hear the tone of the voice, you should be able to tell if they're having a pleasant conversation or a bad one without even hearing the words they say. Imagine how their conversation might change if they were sitting down vs standing up. If they're having a nice conversation, imagine it taking place in a medieval dungeon. If it's hostile, imagine it taking place in a church. Think of how changing the setting affects the mood of the conversation and if there are people around them, how they think that these conversations are at odds with the environment and this evokes a stronger reaction.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Could you explain Ne-Fi vs Ne-Ti?

The way I figured out I was an ENTP and not an ENFP was

- I tend to seek the "underlying principle" in whatever I'm currently engaged in
- "Seeking the underlying principle" tends to leave me with chronically poor social abilities (i.e., to notice others, engage them, relate to them, etc). My social calculations are far more geared toward what's appropriate, "manners", and social ritual. And I neglect them in favor of my personal understanding of a situation.

I dunno if that's universally applicable for all ENTP/ENFPs, but I asked myself the same question once, and this was the answer I came to. Hope it's worth something.

wolfy

awsm
I thought you were identifying with SeFi? Or just in tests?

I kind of relate to this here except I don't reflect on "loveliness" or that sort of thing much. Also if I notice something out there in the real world, I rarely start thinking about it. If I do think, it's disconnected from the environment. Take this for whatever it's worth.

Yeah, Se and Fi. You have a good memory.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ne:

* Pick something that sparks your interest. This can be anything in your surroundings or a thought that's occurred to you or a person or even a feeling. Ask yourself where it came from, what likely caused it and what would happen if [insert a bunch of hypothetical scenarios]. Toy with all the scenarios and make spin-offs off by switching out the thing you're what-iffing about. Make it a point to include any kind of non-sensical stuff, so you disable the rules and prejudices of your own dominant function and to not be shut off from *ANY* possibilities. See the potential, however cockamamy, in *everything*.

* I second the mind mapping exercise already in this thread. This is an excellent way to practice associating ideas with each other and making spin-offs, as indicated in the previous exercise

* Take a topic, any topic and make it a point to understand *every* perspective you can come across on that topic - even the perspective you're absolutely vehemently opposing. Be the devils advocate and backtrack the reasoning of your opposition to be able to see their perspective. Learn all perspectives on a topic, value all of them in order to increase your understanding - and exercise manipulating the data on that topic - to such a level that you feel you have an absolute thorough knowledge on the topic and are able to see all angles on said topic, and on your opposition.

Fi:

* Do the above exercise, instead of with a topic, with a person. Gather all intel on what they value - observe them to take note of what is important to them and how they interpret certain situations. Based on that, backtrack how each value interacts with the other values that they hold and notice which value takes priority in which situation and what variables affect that change. This will allow you to compile their value codex. Now use that codex to predict their reactions to a specific situation to beta-test it, and map out the parts of their personality that are still obscure. This should however give you the main principles of their personality matrix.

* Question your beliefs. Ask yourself why it is that you respond so strongly to something. Backtrack it back to it's source - what could've caused you to care so strongly about something in the first place? Was it a value that was instilled by you? Is it important to your dominant function? Does it protect your ego? And if so, is it due to a trauma that hasn't fully healed yet? Be curious about what drives you, what motivates you and question everything. Check your beliefs and see if you can find a rational explanation as to why you would value exactly those things. Wonder about your passions, about what makes you snipe, about what why you do not like that one particular person. It's an instinctual reaction, for sure, but where does it come from? Track it down to the root, so you *understand* who you are and can double check that what you value is in fact something you *want* to value, something you consciously and actively want to support and know *why* you want to support it.

Combining Ne and Fi:

* Gather all what-if data possible by going buffet style when researching something new. Be open to any option as you scout, even one's you're likely not to enjoy - you never know. Then take the time you need to tinker with and evaluate all the potential for all the options you've gathered and selecting the ones that are tailor-fit for you. Now fit that new puzzle piece into the other puzzle-pieces you've gathered in this area, in order to tailor your very own style on just about *anything*, and find what *you* are passionate about in life (and why)

* Look at the person in front of you, after you've mapped out their personality matrix using the first exercise, take in the situation, take in account their background and past, and check your own emotional state to make sure it is neutral enough not to corrupt the data. Ask yourself how you would feel in their shoes. Truly feel it by imagining it vividly. Look at their body language and wonder, actively *wonder*, about what is going through their head right now. Notice yourself mirroring their body language as you do this. You're syncing up. Ask them a question about themselves - people love to talk about themselves. Listen to the intonation, inflection, and the way they parse their words in order to pick up on more than just the content of their rant. Are they hesitant? Are they pretending to be fine while in fact their voice has a flutter to it that indicates perhaps a nervousness or pain that is hidden? And what could hypothetically cause that, considering their background, the situation right now and their hot buttons. Ask a question in the direction you think the answer might be, but do NOT assume anything - ask in a very open and curious way and be ready to be wrong. Being wrong does not matter - their answer will point you even more in the right direction, again reading all the cues listed above.

Once you've pinpointed what is going on and how you'd feel in their situation, empathised as such - remove your own personality codex and insert theirs. This is why a neutral state of mind is very important as strong emotions are harder to remove. Adjust for their past, their quirks and their drives - like putting on their goggles - then again imagine how you'd feel if you were this person in this situation. It'll give you all the info you need to make the sync complete and know what they need at this time.

Now turn that around on them, and use your own inflection, voice intonation and word order to change their mood to address those needs. To give them hope, inspire them, distract them, whatever you've found to be lacking at this time with the previous exercise. Influence them by making them mirror you, and persuade them that joining you is more beneficial than staying where they're at. Use inflection, body language, word order, dramatic pauses to inspire freedom of choice, trust, comfort and lowering of shields which will increase their unconscious reflex of mirroring you and merging with the state of mind you want them to be in. It won't always be possible, depending on the severity of the emotional trauma going on and sometimes they'll need more than one session, as you walk them through several processing steps. (think the 5 stages of grief, for example.

* Use the Cliff Notes version of the above to automatically evaluate every person you interact with in order to maximise your communication with them.

Word of caution:

the second Ne-Fi exercise can be incredibly harmful if you don't know what you're doing and you take it too far. It also can be incredibly addictive, intoxicating to both parties if done correctly and a tempting way to control others. Do not do this lightly. It should only be ever employed if the other person trusts you enough, has given you leeway on this area and when your mind is firmly focused on THEIR wellbeing and not your power trip. Your benefits should only be a side effect and NEVER the main course, to safeguard against getting wrapped up in yourself at their expense.

I need to PM you sometime 'bout this stuff. :D

But in the meantime -- not to thread hijack, and as a token of the gratitude for your *explaining* the mystical NFP powers --
have you seen my description of Ni (as seen from within an alpha-male INTJ)?

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67695&p=2234762&viewfull=1#post2234762

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION]

Quick judging, when used correctly, can often tell you more about people than people will tell you upfront.

Key word: "when". ;)

So I would say this about Ni (and even more so for Ni integrated with Se as it increasingly is in me) from my perspective. How to use Ni/Ni-dom-with-Se-serving-Ni? Attend to how your body feels both literally and metaphorically. Attend to the visceral/gut sense, images, flashes of knowing that you get when moving through an environment. Don't try to understand what it means in conscious terms, trust the information in its unprocessed form. Act directly from that perception. Like listening to sound and responding in action to what you hear without running it through conscious processing.

Hmm the last sentence is how I work by default. But I thought it was Se because I don't really have "images" running in my mind. It's just the responding by action without conscious thinking. I'm pretty instinctual too, so I relate to this visceral thingie. Though I wouldn't call that hunches. Sorry it's hard to explain. So maybe those two things are main differences between these two modes of perception?

Guess another difference would be of course that a Ni-dom wouldn't need to check with actual data consciously to verify the hunches to feel "better"? I like hunches but I like to verify them as well, or it just does not seem as "great" to me, somehow. Still, the hunches feel "cool". Example, maths, I would be totally disinterested in it if I didn't easily get the intuitive feel to it. But I like to prove the intuitive stuff by fleshing out the logical steps. I prefer to do this for error checking as well, though I don't really catch errors most of the time, the intuition is usually right. Btw I don't use the word "hunch" in this context now because within this scope they are so strong that it's pretty clear what they are. If that makes sense. The word "hunch" to me implies vagueness and a sense of uncertainty and intuition is not like either of these, in this example area, for me (maths, as above).

To the example about other people, this would fit with the difference between what people will say upfront and what they resonate outward on the specific visceral level that I specifically (Ni is subjective, linked my specific function and location) attuned to receive. In my case, that visceral level can be like musical notes or frequencies, with the truth of them is in their actual vibration (if that's the right word, like a string vibrating) rather than in the narrative of what anyone presents or says upfront. I've found similar stuff to be true with land, except that the overlay there is the human structural overlay rather than the ego or group narrative overlay.

I've heard about the vibes stuff before. How often does it work and how often does it turn out that the initial vibe based guess was wrong? You can take this as a provocative question but it really is about a lot more than just that.

I don't really make any conclusions based on initial vibes when seeing / interacting with people. I do notice differences in "style" between people but I can't really put it into words and I don't use this for any conclusions. It's too vague I think. It to me is just a "flavour" to the person, usually. I have never tried analysing any of this or checking it against concrete data, that is, e.g. this person has this vibe, check it against what the person is like as objectively experienced later over time, then draw conclusion. I just don't do that.

So I guess that's a good contrast to how an Ni-dom uses Ni. I assume you do draw conclusions before waiting for more data over time? E.g. you willingly guess what someone is like or what their motivations are. By drawing conclusions I also mean you act based on the perception and you can afterwards explain on a conscious level too if you wish? Or am I wrong in guessing the latter or any of this?

Yeah, Se and Fi. You have a good memory.

Wasn't hard to remember, so few ESFPs on here ;)

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Fe:
See everyone's emotional problems, plus and minus. strengths and weaknesses

Ni:
Take whatever someone said that they thought sounded nice, and reword it to give the opposite effect that was originally intended.
"I'm not arrogant, you're just inferior."

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Fe:
See everyone's emotional problems, plus and minus. strengths and weaknesses. Give that person something to satisfy their emotional weakness so that they will feel indebted to give you something in return.
Stand upright as if you are the president of a large and scary corporation. Everyone will treat you as such.

Ni:
-Take whatever someone said that they thought sounded nice, and reword it to give the opposite effect that was originally intended.
"I'm not arrogant, you're just inferior."
-When in a great relationship, start thinking about how everything is simultaneously going wrong.
-When talking about how jesus was the son of god, also talk about how he was the morningstar: the same title given to lucifer.
-When talking about christianity being correct, also talk about how satanism is equally valid.
-Sit in a chair like a vegetable until the spirit world gives you its spontaneous divine insight.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dominant Te
- Constantly scan the environment for things that are sub-par or downright wrong.
- When you spot those things, ask yourself, why is this wrong? Is there a good reason? If not, what could be done to fix it?
- If there's something you can do to fix it, ask yourself, would it be the right strategic decision? Do not ask yourself about how it would affect others or their feelings towards you. Focus on strategy, and, once that's determined, tactics.
- Quickly enact your plan, and then go about your day

Secondary Si
- Begin to retrace a route you've taken before. What is your gut feeling? Is your gut telling you that a particular route is "correct"?
- Pay attention to precedent, and rely heavily on it in new situations. Even in situations that call for "new"/"creative" ideas, use a mishmash of precedents as a starting point.

1. Identify a goal
  2. Identify requirements to reach said goal
  3. Assess pros & cons and choose path that gets you closer to goal
  4. Implement
^ This is really good, too.

(p.s. phobik, since when are you ESTJ?)

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Hmm the last sentence is how I work by default. But I thought it was Se because I don't really have "images" running in my mind. It's just the responding by action without conscious thinking. I'm pretty instinctual too, so I relate to this visceral thingie. Though I wouldn't call that hunches. Sorry it's hard to explain. So maybe those two things are main differences between these two modes of perception?

I really don't refer to Ni information as "hunches." I don't know where that word comes from in this discussion, but it's not from me or related to how I experience Ni or Ni-Se information. That word isn't accurate for what I'm describing.

As for images, maybe that is a difference, I don't know. I've heard other Ni-doms mention images and our metaphors can have images in them.

Guess another difference would be of course that a Ni-dom wouldn't need to check with actual data consciously to verify the hunches to feel "better"? I like hunches but I like to verify them as well, or it just does not seem as "great" to me, somehow. Still, the hunches feel "cool". Example, maths, I would be totally disinterested in it if I didn't easily get the intuitive feel to it. But I like to prove the intuitive stuff by fleshing out the logical steps. I prefer to do this for error checking as well, though I don't really catch errors most of the time, the intuition is usually right. Btw I don't use the word "hunch" in this context now because within this scope they are so strong that it's pretty clear what they are. If that makes sense. The word "hunch" to me implies vagueness and a sense of uncertainty and intuition is not like either of these, in this example area, for me (maths, as above).

Again, I don't relate to the word hunch/hunches when it comes to Ni or Ni-Se information, for me. I'm not sure what you mean by feeling better or great (let alone what you call hunches feeling cool).

For me, Ni and Ni-Se information feels good (like certain kinds of sensation can feel good) all by itself. I can tell when something is true by a certain visceral feel to it, a visceral level clean calmness often verging on joy. When my attention strays from that specific information, I lose that feeling and if I return my attention to that information, that sense (clean calmness often verging on joy) returns. It's like a sound coming into - or in the other direction, straying from - its true pitch.

I've heard about the vibes stuff before. How often does it work and how often does it turn out that the initial vibe based guess was wrong? You can take this as a provocative question but it really is about a lot more than just that.

First of all - "guess" isn't the word I would use, it isn't relevant to what I was describing.

As for the perception I was describing, I have never known it to be wrong, in my case. Even when I myself assume by default it's wrong (which I tend to do), it hasn't been.

I can, however, be wrong in assigning externally understandable language or concepts to my perception. The wrongness there isn't from the perception itself, but from a lack of access to shared (with others) language or concepts that I can use to communicate what I am perceiving.

I don't really make any conclusions based on initial vibes when seeing / interacting with people. I do notice differences in "style" between people but I can't really put it into words and I don't use this for any conclusions. It's too vague I think. It to me is just a "flavour" to the person, usually. I have never tried analysing any of this or checking it against concrete data, that is, e.g. this person has this vibe, check it against what the person is like as objectively experienced later over time, then draw conclusion. I just don't do that.

So I guess that's a good contrast to how an Ni-dom uses Ni. I assume you do draw conclusions before waiting for more data over time? E.g. you willingly guess what someone is like or what their motivations are. By drawing conclusions I also mean you act based on the perception and you can afterwards explain on a conscious level too if you wish? Or am I wrong in guessing the latter or any of this?

1. Again, the word "guess" is yours and is not relevant to how I experience Ni and Ni-Se information.

2. I am at my very best and most centered when I trust Ni/Ni-Se perceptions and act directly from that information. However, in my life I have unfortunately learned to devalue this information, largely due to the combination of Fe-aux (which assigns a high default legitimacy to value judgements outside of myself) and to Ni information being located as "not real" by those around me and in the cultural system in which I'm embedded. For this reason, I have often received Ni and Ni-Se information, talked myself out of it one way or another, waited for externally visible data to show itself, and then seen from that data that my initial perception was in fact accurate. This pattern has happened over and over. At this stage in my life, my 40s, I consider this pattern to be a huge waste of time and energy. It is far more natural and organic for me to trust and act directly on the Ni/Ni-Se perception. So I'm in a trajectory of deepening my natural and organic trust in this perception.

3. In my experience, Ni/Ni-Se information can for sure be vague by conscious, judging-function standards. If my mind and/or other people require me to explain the information in such terms, it can pull me off of truly knowing what's going on. I've found that requiring Ni/Ni-Se information to be comprehensible by judging-function standards limits its usefulness. All of which to say: organically, I have a very high tolerance for what judging functions might experience as vagueness. I've realized this partly through contrast with my Fi-dom partner. She can't stand the vagueness (she uses that word a lot) of my raw Ni/Ni-Se perception. That perception in its raw form really upsets and irritates her. Through a contrast with her (judging-dom versus perceiving dom), I realize that in my most centered and organic state, I am truly fine with acting from perception-based information without an overlay of judging-function analysis.

Last edited:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you give some examples where you take some Fi stuff and explain its way of being logical and consistent? Btw thanks, this Ti vs Fi thing here is also a really nice explanation here.

Let's see...before my SO and I got together, we became best friends over the course of several months. We chatted online, using IRC,for the most part, and on the phone later on. I got to know him well, as we discussed many things at length. One of the things that we joked about regularly was that despite the very different way of thinking that we both had ( he used to get obsessed with backtracking my non-sensical way of coming to a conclusion), we somehow always arrived at the same conclusion. Often the conclusion was differently worded, or the interpretation of which part of the conclusion mattered most was different, but still - it was one of the reasons we enjoyed each others company.

At some point - I don't even remember what happened - he tells me about a situation he was in recently, tells me how he got there, what happened and how he responded. And a red flag went up. I'm reading the text he typed in and it has all the traits that I've come to expect from him: it was succinct, confident, statement-like and in control. The phrasing is correct, the word order checks out for his typical succinct and somewhat private and formal way of communicating. Everything fits. Except for one thing: the content.

Everything that made him *him* was tossed out the window when he got to the part of the story where he stated how he handled and responded to the situation. Supposedly, his response was passive, held-back, reactive instead of active and easy-going. There was no way these two people, the one telling me the story and the one living that story were the same person. For that matter, even *I* who has several of those traits he supposedly displayed would never have been satisfied with the conclusion/solution he allegedly came to and the direction he took. There was *NO* way. Considering our previous experiences in this regard, it made absolutely no sense. And based on how *I* would respond to that situation, I knew he'dve seen that option and done at least the same if not even better and in a more efficient way.

So I double-checked with him, to make sure I got the context correct. He repeated exactly the same thing. I checked for hidden parameters - omissions in the story that he might've kept from me due to privacy but could come up with no options that would logically explain and motivate this change in behavior, based on the extensive knowledge I had on him. It was like pushing a square peg through a round hole.

So I widened my scope. I factored in him *telling* me this story. Considering that I knew him to be protective and drama-averse, as well as a bit of a control-freak, it dawned on me that it wasn't against his moral code to lie to people - for what he considered their own good. He considered it an efficient tactic to minimise their needless worrying and his head aches. He was protecting me from something that he (wrongfully) believed I would react badly to - and didn't want to deal with that shit, while still wanting to share the story.

It also occurred to me that he was being smug - casual even, about the lie. He was experienced at this. So experienced that he was not showing any signs of hesitation, nervousness, no betrayal of any trepidation in lying to me. He was convinced that I wouldn't be able to tell. He clearly got away with this on a regular basis. And why wouldn't he? On the surface, all the pieces of the story seemed to logically match the situation perfectly - just not him as a person. Which he didn't account for.

(for those interested, the rest of the story is in the spoiler)

Is it that obvious?

:D No comment.

Now all that's interesting again. Btw you mention an Inner Judge, I don't really have that myself, what is it like for you?

Ime, everyone has one. It's sort of the Superego personified, I suppose (I first came across the term in one of the books I read on the psychology of anorexia). The problem it can cause though is that it can become unreasonably demanding of you and others around you due to the beliefs it holds. If you look at younger people, they often have more black and white and hard line type of beliefs, and then mellow out as they get older. This is due to experience and re-evaluating those beliefs repeatedly and cutting out the dead wood, based on what you've learned. And if you had the opportunity in life to actually explore what it is you value in life, you have a pretty good chance at that Judge being reasonable, and aligned with your interests.

However, when we're young, we tend to be very impressionable. Life, or even our loved ones can teach us lessons that create false beliefs. One example of this is for instance a child who was bitten by one dog believes that all dogs are vile, evil and can never be trusted. How these beliefs are formed and how they get executed depends on the childs personality and coping mechanisms.

A common occurrence seems to be that parents pass on *their* values onto their child - with the best intentions in the world as to keep their child safe and prepare it for the world - and in the process, they put a lot of pressure for that child to conform to their parameters and their way of addressing life - as they know that way will work.

However, if that child's natural way of working si completely opposite of the parent's way of viewing the word, they will be disappointed as their childs strengths won't be their own. This often results in them pushing the child harder, and ...well, frustration as to the lack-lustre performances while being blind(or too scared coz they don't trust themselves in that area) to recognise the areas where the child would truly shine. If this happens to be a child who is naturally geared towards approval learning, they will turn themselves inside out to please their parents, effectively undermining their self-esteem and their self-worth as they never quite seem to be able to live up to the expectations which come so easily to everyone else and are the basics of life - or so their parents would have them believe. This in turn can create an Inner Judge who takes over the role of the parents once the child moves out of the house - someone who reminds them of what their supposed priorities are and what they are supposed to do in life - instead of adhering their own priorities which they never truly got to pursue before. It is more comforting to stick with what you know, after all.

Similarly, for those not that approval-seeking but hard-wired for control, for instance - an unstable or uncertain youth (financial issues, an inconsistent parent with rules that don't make sense, neglect, etc) can cause that person to overcompensate and believe money, power and control are all that matter and will keep them safe. It drowns out what they would truly value in life if this had not happened to them - and despite their best efforts, they never have enough power, money and control to feel at ease and happy as their Inner Judge keeps reminding them of how helpless they once were, and pushing them to get MOAR.

And most people aren't aware this is going on - all they know is that they feel empty, alone and afraid and nothing they do seems to help.

In essence, their parameters for their way of living have been skewed - and not in their favour. Which means they need recalibrating, but that voice in the back of your head tends to be *really* hard to ignore and in extreme cases can act like an abusive husband which the person is too terrified to leave.

Hm well my only issue is procrastinating some stuff that I should be doing sooner. I actually think it's this lack of "inner judge" and thus being extremely carefree that allows me to slack off so much with some stuff until external circumstances put enough pressure on me to get motivated and go do the stuff. Of course until then I gladly spend time by doing other stuff that I am motivated to do on my own. Is this then somewhat paradoxical to what you were explaining above? Or can it be reconciled? I'm working off a terribly superficial analysis here because that's all I have right now.

Procrastination can be a symptom of false beliefs, but doesn't have to be. It is a grayscale. If you don't beat yourself up for procrastinating, or consider it something you should purge completely from your repertoire, it tends to be a non-Judge issue. Procrastination, in most cases though, is caused by a form of fear or resistance to whatever it is you feel you should be doing. Often there is something that bugs you about that activity, something that causes you to avoid it - be it that it needs more thought, more energy than you currently have to spare (mental or physical) or coz you're no longer interested in this activity. So it's something that should be looked at to see what causes it - one of those cogs to be replaced, dusted off or updated. Some wear and tear - especially on things that cannot be avoided, like the dishes - in the form of procrastination is to be expected within every person though, like in any system really.

Well heh because I don't try to seek a rational explanation for personal preferences, I don't see that as inconsistency unless it has certain practical consequences.

Heh, you don't say. I am the exact opposite - I don't try to seek a rational explanation for things that don't hold personal preferences, as most tend to be predictable without me having to know exactly how it works, so I easily miss any inconsistencies that would cause malfunction for instance.

Sounds nice in theory, in practice this sounds like a looot of cognitive load ;) Like, the part about deciding what to keep and what not to keep and then act based on this. As I already said in this thread, it'd be hard for me to act like that. Willingly putting limits like that on myself?? :eek: You'd probably find me terribly inconsistent with some stuff if you knew me. ;) OK it's not as bad maybe, I'm not inconsistent with everything, just some values stuff. There's some other things I'm pretty consistent about, though.

People, ime, are never inconsistent - they just act inconsistently - the fun is in hunting down how it truly *does* make sense and what you're missing. All I need to consider you consistent and make sense of you, is your personality map :happy2:

And, it is like any skill really. I feel honestly the same about Ti. I feel that Ti limits me coz it is based on the principle of defining everything so you know exactly what yo ure talking about. But that limits my what-if pleasures, my preference to look at things in a way that goes beyond their definition and eliminates one of my favourite things to do: hold two contradictory ideas in your head and value them equally so you can contrast and compare them in order to gain more insight into them.

At the same time, Fi isn't limiting to me, as I can choose to dust the cogs or not, or even replace the entire part of a system if I felt inspired. I still have several 'outdated' habits still within me, and perhaps some day I'll declutter. For now, I'm good with just being aware that they are there and trying to compensate as much as I can for when they get me into trouble or go faulty on me. Sure, it is a lot of work - but it is also work that I enjoy. As much as I love watching a man fix his motorcycle, it isn't something you could ever convince me not to yawn at if I had to do it myself :alttongue:

The part about figuring out the reasons for why I do something, that sounds more rewarding, though. Maybe that's something Ti and Fi share, or some other function can affect this too, like Ni

:yes: Ti and Fi seem to share the drive and desire to *understand*. What and in what way they seek to understand something is another matter. But the drive to understand - and let's face it, blind obsession in most cases - is certainly shared.

And not interested in doing psychology?

....it's on my list :smile:

W

WhoCares

Fi - hear some input from someone else. Internalise it, make it personal, feel offended. Done. ;)

Te - bore the pants off everyone by talking about some artistic pursuit as if it were a strategy for accomplishing a task. Example, Monet didnt paint dreams he mixed organic pigments with linseed oil, and used broad and quick brush strokes to create the impression of what he saw. By the way did you know that Prussian Blue pigment is used as an antidote for heavy metal poisoning?[last bit was an advanced lesson in Te-Fi combo...aka boring and pointless tangent] see what I did there? Thats right! I killed a conversation. Repeat as necessary. :doh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Te - bore the pants off everyone by talking about some artistic pursuit as if it were a strategy for accomplishing a task. Example, Monet didnt paint dreams he mixed organic pigments with linseed oil, and used broad and quick brush strokes to create the impression of what he saw. By the way did you know that Prussian Blue pigment is used as an antidote for heavy metal poisoning?[last bit was an advanced lesson in Te-Fi combo...aka boring and pointless tangent] see what I did there? Thats right! I killed a conversation. Repeat as necessary. :doh:
For the record, I'd attribute exactly none of this to Te/Fi. IME it's usually Ti that makes for boring oversharing of facts and tidbits, and Ne that makes for most frequent tangents. So I'd guess what you're describing in your case is more Enneagram-related, unless you're actually an INTP.

Permabanned
(p.s. phobik, since when are you ESTJ?)

Since I evolved ofc. :yes:

For the record, I'd attribute exactly none of this to Te/Fi. IME it's usually Ti that makes for boring oversharing of facts and tidbits, and Ne that makes for most frequent tangents. So I'd guess what you're describing in your case is more Enneagram-related, unless you're actually an INTP.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Since I evolved ofc. :yes:
Good answer. :cool:

:laugh:

I take all that back, anyway. Someone informed me via rep that the quote I was responding to had several layers of meaning. Whatever, I've never been good at reading Ni-speak.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How do I explain how to use Si? :shrug:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How do I explain how to use Si? :shrug:
Here was my attempt at it:
- Pay attention to precedent, and rely heavily on it in new situations. Even in situations that call for "new"/"creative" ideas, use a mishmash of precedents as a starting point.
(Correct me if I'm wrong?)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's not wrong, I just feel it's not self-explanatory that way. But as I'm trying to lay down the fundamentals to describe the thought processes, I keep getting stuck on the finer points to express exactly what I mean. Each possible word choice conveys a slightly different meaning...and to use Si is to choose the absolutely best-fit one to perfectly describe a thing or event. I think.