User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 32

  1. #1
    climb on Showbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,332

    Default Best basic guide to Cognitive Functions

    A friend of mine is interested in learning more about the cognitive functions aspect of the MBTI. Where would be a good place for her to start?

    Thanks!
    Friends, waffles, work

    "The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

    3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*


  2. #2
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    With me.

    The first of the two primary dichotomies is introversion and extraversion:
    Introversion draws influence from within - it seeks to fortify against without
    Extraversion draws influence from without - it seeks to utilize resources to provide within

    The next important set of dichotomies are the four attitudes - sensing, thinking, feeling, and intuition:
    Sense tells an object is present
    Thought defines an object
    Feeling values an object
    Intuition idealizes an object

    Combining the two major categories, the functions are derived: extraverted sensation (Se), introverted feeling (Fi), and so on. Complete list: Si, Se, Ti, Te, Fi, Fe, Ni, and Ne.

    Beyond this is where things get complex and largely nuanced among whose opinion you're asking for.

    My favorite excercise, when I first learned of the functions, was the "fence building problem", if you can still find it online. It encourages individual thought and expression by leaving the absolutes hidden, only presenting the bare minimums of categorical classification for each functions' approach towards conflict (though it's simple enough to fuck that up, too).

    I feel long winded type descriptions are both flattering and unexclusive in many contexts.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,431

    Default

    Understanding Yourself and Others: An Introduction to the Personality Type Code
    by Linda V. Berens, Dario Nardi

    http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0966462424

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    With me.
    Loool


    My favorite excercise, when I first learned of the functions, was the "fence building problem", if you can still find it online. It encourages individual thought and expression by leaving the absolutes hidden, only presenting the bare minimums of categorical classification for each functions' approach towards conflict (though it's simple enough to fuck that up, too).
    What was that "fence building problem" exactly?

  5. #5
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Jung defined the functions with something like:

    Sensing tells you that something is.
    Thinking tells you what that thing is.
    Intuition is a perception via unconscious and tells you where the thing came from and where it is going.
    Feeling tells you whether or not that thing is acceptable or not, i.e. analyzes what it is worth.

    Extraverted functions basically relate and trust to external world more on the processes and introverted functions relate/trust to subjective aspects more.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    41

    Default

    as far as im concerned there are no good guides to the functions so people just make up their own or misapply them as a behaviorist schema

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Jung defined the functions with something like:

    Sensing tells you that something is.
    Thinking tells you what that thing is.
    Intuition is a perception via unconscious and tells you where the thing came from and where it is going.
    Feeling tells you whether or not that thing is acceptable or not, i.e. analyzes what it is worth.

    Extraverted functions basically relate and trust to external world more on the processes and introverted functions relate/trust to subjective aspects more.
    So why the hell does it get all so complex from there?

  8. #8
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    So why the hell does it get all so complex from there?
    Because the actual processes are more complex. There is more than just four parts in your brains that tell the results(of functions) to you.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Because the actual processes are more complex. There is more than just four parts in your brains that tell the results(of functions) to you.
    It was a rhetorical question.

    I was more implying that the processes are not only complex but organized in a different way than assumed by most MBTI fans including the creator of MBTI .

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi
    Posts
    940

    Default

    -

Similar Threads

  1. Video: Typology: An Introduction to Cognitive Functions
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 11:11 PM
  2. Explain the cognitive functions to me
    By Colors in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 10:40 PM
  3. A simpler way to look at the cognitive functions
    By BlackCat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 03:48 PM
  4. Cognitive functions in relation to the "box"
    By Aleksei in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 09:33 AM
  5. My cognitive functions results....what to make of it?
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 09:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO