User Tag List

123 Last

To here knows when... Odi et Amo's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default Empathy/Sympathy, Fi/Fe

Quick question -- is Fi associated with empathy and Fe with sympathy in terms of interpersonal contact and relationships or is it the other way around? Forgot...
    Solitude
    Comes just as it goes
    Goes as just its umbra
    Comes

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
    ― Albert Camus

4w5/5w4/1w2, Neutral Good, RlxAI

Socionics
    ILI

I say that F in general deals with sympathy and empathy, it's just where it is focused.

Fe - External Sympathy (broad, feel bad for anyone with a bad break) and External Empathy (broad, being able to understand other's emotional wellbeing)

Fi - Internal Sympathy (self-oriented or close people oriented) and Internal Empathy (empathizing within a close group of friends only)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Thanks, that cleared it up a lot, but there is still a facet that is nagging me...
    CelebrityTypes has an INFP or INFJ? quiz (to see whether someone is Ni/Fe or Fi/Ne) and I mostly was able to figure out which answers pertained to which functions (of course I ended up at 51% INFJ to 49% INFP...grrrrr....but that's for another day), except for this one:
    Which describes your view of empathy better?

When empathizing with others, I tend to find that I can help them the most when I can identify the basic emotions involved and then clarify to them what they are feeling.

When empathizing with others, I tend to find that I can help them the most if I surrender myself completely to their inner experience without judging them or putting words in their mouths.
    Solitude
    Comes just as it goes
    Goes as just its umbra
    Comes

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
    ― Albert Camus

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by Odi et Amo View Post
    Thanks, that cleared it up a lot, but there is still a facet that is nagging me...
    CelebrityTypes has an INFP or INFJ? quiz (to see whether someone is Ni/Fe or Fi/Ne) and I mostly was able to figure out which answers pertained to which functions (of course I ended up at 51% INFJ to 49% INFP...grrrrr....but that's for another day), except for this one:
    Which describes your view of empathy better?

When empathizing with others, I tend to find that I can help them the most when I can identify the basic emotions involved and then clarify to them what they are feeling.

When empathizing with others, I tend to find that I can help them the most if I surrender myself completely to their inner experience without judging them or putting words in their mouths.
    I would like to know too. I'm guessing the inner experience one is Fi.

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

I tried the test just for the heck of it. =)

47% INFJ 53% INFP

Seems pretty random really. I'm not surprised.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

The surrendering-to-inner-experience response is Fi, I checked it by answering every question the same except that question. Fi is so intense -shivers-
    Solitude
    Comes just as it goes
    Goes as just its umbra
    Comes

― Albert Camus

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I say that F in general deals with sympathy and empathy, it's just where it is focused.

Fe - External Sympathy (broad, feel bad for anyone with a bad break) and External Empathy (broad, being able to understand other's emotional wellbeing)

Fi - Internal Sympathy (self-oriented or close people oriented) and Internal Empathy (empathizing within a close group of friends only)
    Hmm, what would this example fall under?

I was walking across a bridge earlier today when an older man noticed me taking pictures and decided to engage me in small talk...I didn't feel like talking to him, but I didn't consider it just to give him the cold-shoulder (I was also worried that ignoring him would create an unpleasant or awkward situation that would only leave me feeling guilty afterwards, however insignificant it may be in the grand scheme of things), so I decided to be receptive towards his initiative by nodding while I listened to his stories semi-attentively and answered any questions he had without revealing too much about myself (he wasn't crazy or anything, just friendly). I kept it up for maybe 10 minutes until we got to the end of the bridge and he decided to go back, since he had finished his daily walk...

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post

I was walking across a bridge earlier today when an older man noticed me taking pictures and decided to engage me in small talk...I didn't feel like talking to him, but I didn't consider it just to give him the cold-shoulder (I was also worried that ignoring him would create an unpleasant or awkward situation that would only make me feel guilty afterwards), so I decided to be receptive towards his initiative by nodding while I listened to his stories semi-attentively and answered any questions he had without revealing too much about myself (he wasn't crazy or anything, just friendly). I kept it up for maybe 10 minutes until we got to the end of the bridge and he decided to go back, as he had finished his daily walk...
    It sounds like an Fi dom or aux user engaging in shadowed Fe to cope with a stressful situation (in this case to alleviate future feelings of guilt). This is under the assumption that you don't like engaging in Fe in general, it could easily be that you are simply an Fe dom/aux user who just was tired or didn't want to deal with the person but did anyways.

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post

I was walking across a bridge earlier today when an older man noticed me taking pictures and decided to engage me in small talk...I didn't feel like talking to him, but I didn't consider it just to give him the cold-shoulder (I was also worried that ignoring him would create an unpleasant or awkward situation that would only leave me feeling guilty afterwards, however insignificant it may be in the grand scheme of things), so I decided to be receptive towards his initiative by nodding while I listened to his stories semi-attentively and answered any questions he had without revealing too much about myself (he wasn't crazy or anything, just friendly). I kept it up for maybe 10 minutes until we got to the end of the bridge and he decided to go back, since he had finished his daily walk...
    I agree with Alea_iacta_est

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Right as rain.
    Solitude
    Comes just as it goes
    Goes as just its umbra
    Comes

― Albert Camus