User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the point of the MBTI?

Senior Member Array raincrow007's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Nightwing and RC covered most of the bases.

Psst. Nighthawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    For me, MBTI was valuable in hammering home the point that I shouldn't try to be somebody I am not. It gave me "permission" to be who I am. I learned, through much pain and suffering, that I do not fit well into an SJ or SP oriented career or lifestyle. Only since learning MBTI do I now understand why. It has helped guide me toward a profession and lifestyle in which I am happier ... while at the same time helping me understand possible weaknesses and work on them.
    I couldn't have said this any better. I was desperatley trying to be the business women ESTJ before finding out about my type. I was depressed and miserable, and in a ESTJ job that couldn't be any more wrong for me. MBTI showed me that I was not "weird". That there were in fact other people out there like me. I was just a type of a smaller percentage.

Now I have guided my life toward activities that will put me in touch with other NFs and NTs, and am pursuing a whole different career that I am hoping will be more satisfying to me. In short, it changed my life.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    Psst. Nighthawk.
    Oh fudge. Too many comic books. Sigh.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

shoshaku jushaku Array rivercrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    Psst. Nighthawk.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

Yes, validation, helps me to understand others, and most of all, I am so amazed at the difference in communication. Yes, very very amazed at the difference in communications styles. Now I understand better why my boyfriend, an intj, is always saying things are pointless. - and I do believe the av geek he may be, he would be truly tortured if he had to be a camera man for the jerry springer show, except for the boobs. He says he doesn't see the point of that show.

I have not yet figured out how I am supposed to develop my weaker functions however, and I am not sure why I would want to.
    "May our ability to smell be greater than our propensity to stink."

To me the point of MBTI is to understand the people important to me. Some of them are too different from me and I would like to understand the reasons why, from the psychology point of view.

But I've to say MBTI is not very 'user-friendly'. It does not provide a reliable method to tell a person's type in a short time. It ignores age difference. It limits itself to 16 types and does not consider intra-type variations. It does not provide solid suggestions on how to use this theory to deal with people. It ignores all visible signs that might indicate a person's personality (body language, occupation, hobby, qualification, appearance, etc).

It's like, you have to mind-read a person to know his/her type, and I'm no mind-reader. I sort of see the potential in it and I'm still trying to figure out how to apply the theory effectively on real people.
    "Man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated."
    - Ernest Hemingway