User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

  1. #1
    LadyLazarus
    Guest

    Default What's the difference between an INFP 4w5 and an INFP 9w1?

    Alright,so my younger sister is quite literally the prototypical xNFP;kind,optimistic,and friendly,the whole deal.I'm pretty sure she's a 9w1 so/sx.I on the other hand feel like I am the opposite,I am cynical,selfish,and can come off as unfriendly.She tends to give people the benefit of the doubt while I tend to do the opposite.

    I am very confused about my type,so I thought I'd look into the NF's since they tend to be 4's,starting with one I can directly compare myself with.

    So,my question is,is it possible for a 4w5 INFP and a 9w1 INFP to look like such stark opposites?
    Last edited by LadyLazarus; 02-02-2014 at 05:25 PM.

  2. #2
    A Gentle Whisper ~MS*ANGEL~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    Hmm... in a way, I suppose. I'll speak from my experience so far: I am a 9w1 (sx/so) INFP, while my companion is a 4w5 INFP (if I remember correctly). When I first met him, he appeared to be cynical and sometimes came off as unfriendly (around others that is, not around me ).

    However, as I got to know him better, I began to see that he's just as kind and sensitive (and even romantic ) as I am, with the main difference being that he can't always express his empathy the way I can. I used to think of this as a problem, but now I accept it as a part of who he is - and I love him all the more for it.

    So, to answer your question more clearly: yes, it is possible for both these types to look like such stark opposites. Whether that's necessarily true underneath the surface is another question altogether, as far as I know.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

    MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/


  3. #3
    LadyLazarus
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelLight2012 View Post
    Hmm... in a way, I suppose. I'll speak from my experience so far: I am a 9w1 (sx/so) INFP, while my companion is a 4w5 INFP (if I remember correctly). When I first met him, he appeared to be cynical and sometimes came off as unfriendly (around others that is, not around me ).

    However, as I got to know him better, I began to see that he's just as kind and sensitive (and even romantic ) as I am, with the main difference being that he can't always express his empathy the way I can. I used to think of this as a problem, but now I accept it as a part of who he is - and I love him all the more for it.

    So, to answer your question more clearly: yes, it is possible for both these types to look like such stark opposites. Whether that's necessarily true underneath the surface is another question altogether, as far as I know.
    Hmm yes I can relate to what you said about him being friendlier and showing his soft side towards the person he loves.
    Not so much the part about empathy though,I don't think mine is very well developed.

    ...a few more questions,if you don't mind, does he come off as more harsh than you to you? and does he relate to the INFP stereotypes/descriptions?

  4. #4
    A Gentle Whisper ~MS*ANGEL~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsunderes View Post
    Hmm yes I can relate to what you said about him being friendlier and showing his soft side towards the person he loves.
    Not so much the part about empathy though,I don't think mine is very well developed.

    ...a few more questions,if you don't mind, does he come off as more harsh than you to you? and does he relate to the INFP stereotypes/descriptions?
    Hmm - not sure what you mean by harsh, do you mean just in terms of what he says or something else?

    As for INFP stereotypes/descriptions, I guess he relates to that in a way. From what I believe we share in common, we're both rather uncomfortable in social situations, were seen as odd by our classmates in high school or earlier, and are/can be quite emotional.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

    MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/


  5. #5
    LadyLazarus
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelLight2012 View Post
    Hmm - not sure what you mean by harsh, do you mean just in terms of what he says or something else?

    As for INFP stereotypes/descriptions, I guess he relates to that in a way. From what I believe we share in common, we're both rather uncomfortable in social situations, were seen as odd by our classmates in high school or earlier, and are/can be quite emotional.
    As in his outlook on the world,does he try to see it for all it's harshness and reality?
    Also,when does his idealism become evident?

    hmm yeah I can relate to that kind of.

  6. #6
    A Gentle Whisper ~MS*ANGEL~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsunderes View Post
    As in his outlook on the world,does he try to see it for all it's harshness and reality?
    Also,when does his idealism become evident?

    hmm yeah I can relate to that kind of.
    Ah, I see. This is something I'm not entirely sure about now, to be honest. But given that he tends to be more cynical about the world than I am at times, I think that may be true.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

    MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/


  7. #7
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsunderes View Post
    So,my question is,is it possible for an 4w5 INFP and an 9w1 INFP to look like such stark opposites?
    Yeah...they can appear totally different.

    4w5 INFP can appear as detached, hard, remote, and private as INTPs (may even mistake themselves for one).
    Harder to get to know and have a lot more armor around them than 9s tend to.
    Tend to be much more intense, melancholy, and emotionally volatile than 9s.
    Not afraid of digging into dark, disturbing stuff or anger.
    Not as conflict-averse as a 9.
    Less likely to care whether others approve or like them.


    9s can be detached, too, but they tend to softly withdraw like somebody tiptoeing out and very quietly shutting the door.
    Stereotypes of INFPs probably come from 9w1.
    More likely to express positive feelings and warmth than a 4.
    Tend to have a sweeter nature but oh my, if they lose their temper...holy crap!
    May have more difficulty deciding what they want and taking action than a 4.
    More optimistic and easy-going.
    Easier to 'read' than 4s.

    I've know(n) INFP 4w5 and live with two Fi-dom 9s and this is what I have seen. @OrangeAppled has mentioned the differences between INFP 4s and 9s that went into more depth, I think?
    Likes sardonic delight liked this post

  8. #8
    LadyLazarus
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Yeah...they can appear totally different.

    4w5 INFP can appear as detached, hard, remote, and private as INTPs (may even mistake themselves for one).
    Harder to get to know and have a lot more armor around them than 9s tend to.
    Tend to be much more intense, melancholy, and emotionally volatile than 9s.
    Not afraid of digging into dark, disturbing stuff or anger.
    Not as conflict-averse as a 9.
    Less likely to care whether others approve or like them.


    9s can be detached, too, but they tend to softly withdraw like somebody tiptoeing out and very quietly shutting the door.
    Stereotypes of INFPs probably come from 9w1.
    More likely to express positive feelings and warmth than a 4.
    Tend to have a sweeter nature but oh my, if they lose their temper...holy crap!
    May have more difficulty deciding what they want and taking action than a 4.
    More optimistic and easy-going.
    Easier to 'read' than 4s.

    I've know(n) INFP 4w5 and live with two Fi-dom 9s and this is what I have seen. @OrangeAppled has mentioned the differences between INFP 4s and 9s that went into more depth, I think?
    Thank you,this was very helpful.

    I can relate to your description of the 4w5 INFP very well.I have actually mistyped as INTP for a bit as well.

    Yeah those INFP descriptions make them sound like rainbow excreting fairies or something...that certainly made me rule INFP out too easily previously.

    ...Seriously considering INFP now.

  9. #9
    A Gentle Whisper ~MS*ANGEL~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    9s can be detached, too, but they tend to softly withdraw like somebody tiptoeing out and very quietly shutting the door.
    Stereotypes of INFPs probably come from 9w1.
    More likely to express positive feelings and warmth than a 4.
    Tend to have a sweeter nature but oh my, if they lose their temper...holy crap!
    May have more difficulty deciding what they want and taking action than a 4.
    More optimistic and easy-going.
    Easier to 'read' than 4s.
    Haha so true if I lose my temper, beware! [Though it doesn't happen very often, so no worries. ]
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

    MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/


  10. #10
    an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Yeah...they can appear totally different.

    4w5 INFP can appear as detached, hard, remote, and private as INTPs (may even mistake themselves for one).
    Harder to get to know and have a lot more armor around them than 9s tend to.
    Tend to be much more intense, melancholy, and emotionally volatile than 9s.
    Not afraid of digging into dark, disturbing stuff or anger.
    Not as conflict-averse as a 9.
    Less likely to care whether others approve or like them.
    This is very true.
    Even though I don't mistake myself as INTPs, I do indeed put on my shadow ESTJ at work at stressful times / when I get hurt too much and try to detach myself from my own feelings. To closer friends I often appear like an INTP since I rarely show them my vulnerability and rarely talk about my own feelings. Very few people I show my true self to, and they are the people that have my heart, forever or at certain point in my life.

    4w5s are going to be cynical and investigative, definitely! INFPs with 4w5 that have had some negative experience with others in their life could easily appear unfriendly, detach, cold or angry.

    I don't know much about INFP 9w1, but I don't think that they suffer from severe identity crisis and self-contradiction that we do ?! No?
    .
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    .

Similar Threads

  1. What's the difference between a paranoid ISFP and an INFP one?
    By Clegane in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-28-2016, 05:03 PM
  2. What's the difference between an INTP with a heart and an INFP with a head?
    By zelo1954 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 03:25 AM
  3. What's the difference between a shy extrovert and an introvert?
    By wolfy in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 02:49 PM
  4. What's the difference between healthy self-esteem and narcissism?
    By proteanmix in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 04:40 AM
  5. What's the difference between an ENTJ, and a ESTJ?
    By Carmen in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO