User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    enfp

Default MBTI vs. Big Five

A while back there was a blowhard professor (Adam Grant) who said MBTI was done for and that the future belongs to Big Five. What do you guys think about that?

I just noticed today that a MBTI site launched a Big Five test here. I have not seen this before. Do you think it means the end of MBTI?

Permabanned

Big five is just a dumbed down mainstream friendly version of MBTI. It has better packaging. People feel insulted being put in boxes with MBTI. In big five you get to be called vague non threatening things like "open to experience" and "agreeable".

Socionics
    ILI

I agree with @badger055. Accommodating/Egocentric seems like a much worse naming for a category than Feeling/Thinking. Calm/Limbic, come on.

The Big 5 isn't really all that different from MBTI, it's just got a longer name for types and tells whether or not you are emotionally stable or neurotic. Plus it has overtones slightly against Egocentric types, and the test is sometimes labeled the SLOAN test, (the equivalent of the ESFJ) and is a little biased toward people closest to SLOAN. That means types closest to RCUEI (or INTP) get blown out of proportion somewhat negatively.

MBTI
    enfp

Where do you all go to see the letters SLOAN and RCUEI? I don't understand?

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm not really up for the whole FFM vs MBTI thing, but this may be of some interest for those curious about the "number of dimensions" (pdf warning);

The General Factor of Personality: A meta-analysis of Big Five intercorrelations and a criterion-related validity study

http://www.beanmanaged.eu/pdf/articl...bakker_218.pdf

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I agree with @badger055, and ,@Alea_Iacra_est, Big 5 is for the average Joe

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Where do you all go to see the letters SLOAN and RCUEI? I don't understand?
    The Big Five has MBTI type correlations that have been used by other people, such as similarminds.com which has a "Global 5" test.

Dichotomies:
    Social/Reserved (sometimes denoted Extraversion) ................. Extrovert/Introvert
    Limbic/Calm (sometimes denoted Neuroticism)........... N/A MBTI
    Organized/Unorganized (sometimes denoted Conscientious)............ Judging/Perceiving
    Accommodating/Egocentric (sometimes denoted Agreeableness).............. Feeling/Thinking
    Noncurious/Inquisitive (sometimes denoted Openness to Experience)............. Sensing/Intuiting

If you score below 50 on Extraversion on a 100 point scale, you are a Reserved type. (If you score above 50, then you are a Social type)
    If you score below 50 on Neuroticism on a 100 point scale, you are a Calm type. (<50, Limbic type)
    If you score below 50 on Conscientious on a 100 point scale, you are an Unorganized type. (<50, Organized type)
    If you score below 50 on Agreeableness on a 100 point scale, you are an Egocentric type. (<50 Accommodating type)
    If you score below 50 on Openness to Experience on a 100 point scale, you are a Noncurious type. (<50 Inquisitive type)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

If anything I think MBTI is most prominent in mainstream culture right now and this Big Five is kinda unknown. The classic Big Five (OCEAN, CANOE, etc) seems more well-known, especially to anyone that's taken a basic psychology class. But I think, from experience, most people find MBTI more interesting than other personality systems.

For me personally, I prefer MBTI. Don't know why, I just find it more fun to think about. But I think both are interesting ways of looking at an individual's personality and don't really have any preference beyond that. Interests are interests I guess.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

To here knows when... Odi et Amo's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Big 5 is a set of clustered characteristics with no unifying theory. It's derived from sheer brute force data and close observation.

MBTI is a broad, sweeping, quite audacious theory with much shakier empirical fleshing-out of its component parts (the guy who runs SimilarMinds, for instance, believes that MBTI's Intorversion/Extraversion component is a measure of mental health).

Neither is without flaws. If Big 5 is the Tennyson poem Ulysses, a fragmented, divergent, tangential scattering of a bunch of trials, experiences, tests, and observations that has been made to sing, then MBTI is a haiku...concise, unilateral, deep.
    Solitude
    Comes just as it goes
    Goes as just its umbra
    Comes

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
    ― Albert Camus

4w5/5w4/1w2, Neutral Good, RlxAI

garbage

Grant's most well-known piece on the subject doesn't exactly paint him as a blowhard.

Typology systems need independent and comprehensive factors, validation, test-retest reliability, and hopefully also a good solid theoretical framework. Whichever systems can provide more of that stuff have more descriptive power and deserve to 'win.'
    Last edited by garbage; 02-01-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Fixed link