• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types and micro-managing

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are there types which are more prone to micro-managing, and does any type actually like being micro-managed?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm guessing SJ's do it more often. That could be a stereotype, but it has been consistent with my (probably limited) experience.

I hate it for a number of reasons. I like to make my own decisions and learn from them. I like to be viewed as competent, and this sort of treatment I feel doesn't treat me as such. It seems to put an overall negative tone on our interaction in many cases, and I feel the person is putting themselves in a hierarchical relationship over me which I don't enjoy. I like cooperation and relating to people as equals.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Maybe. My ENTJ ex bf would be sort of managerial, but not to the degree my SFJ relatives do. So I mean, I don't know if ENTJ's as whole are less so or my experience was somewhat different than the norm.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTJs tend to get promoted to management positions and of all the Te types, are mostly likely to engage in this. Any type can do it though. I can think of one ESFP for example that was a really horrible micromanager.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm guessing SJ's do it more often. That could be a stereotype, but it has been consistent with my (probably limited) experience.

I'll just admit it, I love to micromanage. I tend to think my way is the best way to do things (otherwise I would be doing it the best way). ;)
I generally don't realize how obnoxious it was until hindsight. In the moment it feels like helping. I have been actively trying to be more conscious of this lately.

á´…eparted

passages
Woah man. I'll tell you right now that micro-managing is a terrible issue for me. I've mostly resolved it through experience, but my natural inclination is to micromanage everything if I assume any sort of leadership position (assuming that I feel I can do well with what is involved; if I don't think that I won't do this). My brain shouts at me "MUST. EXERT. WILL.". I get sort of paranoid and panicky that if I am not directly involved in something it won't go correctly, or how I see it idealized in my head. I have to feel useful. Even if I know the others can do things well, there's an irrational feeling that they're incompetent and won't do it right. There's been several times in my life where I was in some sort of leadership position and I was ultimately trying to be the president, designer, treasurer, communcations, PR person all wrapped up into one even though I was only designated in one position. I tried to be Mr. everything. Lesson learned I try and not do that anymore, but the urge will always be there.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I will do that if its needed, but i would rather work with people who know what they are supposed to do

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I hate it for a number of reasons. I like to make my own decisions and learn from them. I like to be viewed as competent, and this sort of treatment I feel doesn't treat me as such. It seems to put an overall negative tone on our interaction in many cases, and I feel the person is putting themselves in a hierarchical relationship over me which I don't enjoy. I like cooperation and relating to people as equals.

Agree with all of this. As far as who likes being micromanaged, I don't know too many people who do. SJs may tolerate it better than other types- at least they may think there is a need for it at times.

ESTJ, yes. Not so sure about ENTJ. Would their intuition make them more big picture oriented rather than focusing on little details?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESTJ, yes. Not so sure about ENTJ. Would their intuition make them more big picture oriented rather than focusing on little details?
Yeah I'm wondering if Si has something to do with it. Although obviously other functions must as well, if functions can be responsible, but it does seem like Si can get way too detail-obsessed.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some data for you. Wife, ESFP, total nazi/micro manager when it comes to her children and to a lesser extent inner circle. Mother, ESFP, nazi, but so much a micro manager.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting.

L

LadyLazarus

I would think it would probably be pretty much all of the extroverted judgers,who are prone to micro-managing.