User Tag List

12 Last

Default Ne types do you do that?

Since I've been a kid at elementary school I hated to memorize statements word by word without further explanation and now I am an adult I still can't memorize like that. The only type of learning, that is good for me is when I udnerstand the statement by my own mind, I have to figure out why and how and then I can learn, but if I don't understand the point of something it's extremly hard for me to memorize. I always break down the statement to parts and then collect them and try to put them in an order that makes sense in my own thinking process and then I can create my own explanation and learn further about the problem and actually memorize what I have to learn. I just need to catch the general idea of it and I need to get into this idea by my own analysis. I've been wondering if this is the Ne learing process?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Absolutely. This is especially in contrast to my ISTJ father, who cannot fathom why I would need to understand something before memorizing it. He thinks rote memorization is an inherent and ingrained skill that needs to be discovered.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Yep. It can either make learning really easy or really hard, depending on how the material is presented.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yep. I need to know why it's important to me. It's never important to me if it's just a fact floating on its own, it needs to fit in my context. I have to expand it out to figure out how.

MBTI
    yupp

I tend to relate stuff to things that on the surface don't seem relatable. like computers being the host, so the incoming signals are the parasites.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Yes. And, like you say, i first need to understand the generals. I need to understand what the borders of the topic are, and then i can work out the relationships between the small things and etc.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Definitely. I always thought I was terrible at rote memorization until I was in a study group in college, and then realized I was just fine at it, but hated it.

I always want to have the conceptual framework first, and then facts and details have some meaning. Otherwise, I'm fighting myself every step of the way.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    Yes
    I have to break it down to really grasp it, but sometimes memorizing something helps me to break it down, because I can draw comparisons and look for patterns. A fact is interesting to me chiefly in relation to other facts. The fact itself means little. To know, for instance, that a building is a certain number of feet tall, is meaningless to me unless I am able to compare that with something I am more familiar with, like maybe city buses pointing upwards and stacked one, on top of the other. Facts are enjoyable to me, but only in combination with other facts.

I think this is why I hate the idea of specialization.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Im good at remembering what someone said word by word, but i cant learn anything unless i understand the thing.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read