• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne types do you do that?

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Since I've been a kid at elementary school I hated to memorize statements word by word without further explanation and now I am an adult I still can't memorize like that. The only type of learning, that is good for me is when I udnerstand the statement by my own mind, I have to figure out why and how and then I can learn, but if I don't understand the point of something it's extremly hard for me to memorize. I always break down the statement to parts and then collect them and try to put them in an order that makes sense in my own thinking process and then I can create my own explanation and learn further about the problem and actually memorize what I have to learn. I just need to catch the general idea of it and I need to get into this idea by my own analysis. I've been wondering if this is the Ne learing process?

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
Absolutely. This is especially in contrast to my ISTJ father, who cannot fathom why I would need to understand something before memorizing it. He thinks rote memorization is an inherent and ingrained skill that needs to be discovered.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yep. It can either make learning really easy or really hard, depending on how the material is presented.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep. I need to know why it's important to me. It's never important to me if it's just a fact floating on its own, it needs to fit in my context. I have to expand it out to figure out how.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I tend to relate stuff to things that on the surface don't seem relatable. like computers being the host, so the incoming signals are the parasites.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. And, like you say, i first need to understand the generals. I need to understand what the borders of the topic are, and then i can work out the relationships between the small things and etc.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Definitely. I always thought I was terrible at rote memorization until I was in a study group in college, and then realized I was just fine at it, but hated it.

I always want to have the conceptual framework first, and then facts and details have some meaning. Otherwise, I'm fighting myself every step of the way.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I have to break it down to really grasp it, but sometimes memorizing something helps me to break it down, because I can draw comparisons and look for patterns. A fact is interesting to me chiefly in relation to other facts. The fact itself means little. To know, for instance, that a building is a certain number of feet tall, is meaningless to me unless I am able to compare that with something I am more familiar with, like maybe city buses pointing upwards and stacked one, on top of the other. Facts are enjoyable to me, but only in combination with other facts.

I think this is why I hate the idea of specialization.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Im good at remembering what someone said word by word, but i cant learn anything unless i understand the thing.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Im good at remembering what someone said word by word, but i cant learn anything unless i understand the thing.

oh yeah, this actually sounds more accurate :)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Since I've been a kid at elementary school I hated to memorize statements word by word without further explanation and now I am an adult I still can't memorize like that. The only type of learning, that is good for me is when I udnerstand the statement by my own mind, I have to figure out why and how and then I can learn, but if I don't understand the point of something it's extremly hard for me to memorize. I always break down the statement to parts and then collect them and try to put them in an order that makes sense in my own thinking process and then I can create my own explanation and learn further about the problem and actually memorize what I have to learn. I just need to catch the general idea of it and I need to get into this idea by my own analysis. I've been wondering if this is the Ne learing process?

Yes!! Ah, I thought this was just me! I have an absolutely horrible time learning/memorizing things that I don't understand. Probably why I am so terrible at math.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes!! Ah, I thought this was just me! I have an absolutely horrible time learning/memorizing things that I don't understand. Probably why I am so terrible at math.

Yeah I am terrible at it too :D but math is actually more logical thing, though I've never been good at it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Sounds much like my own experience growing up, so yes, I'd agree.

The only rote memorizing I was ever really good at was remembering important historical dates, but even then, I think I associated particular ideas or themes with each date, so I don't know if that even counts as rote memorization. Perhaps my ability to retain historical dates and important events is related to Si?

edit: I also remember having trouble memorizing vocabulary words in grammar school unless I understood the word and started utilizing it in my everyday speech. Other kids would memorize them long enough to know for the quiz, then forget them, it seemed. I would keep using the words, especially if I liked them, which led other kids to think I was a weirdo. I'm serious--they'd make fun of me and ask where a particular word came from. Uh, from last week's vocabulary lesson, don't you remember, fucktards? I was often told by adults that I spoke like a little professor. Anyway, what the fuck is the point of learning new vocabulary words if you're not going to retain them and enrich your own vocabulary?

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds much like my own experience growing up, so yes, I'd agree.

The only rote memorizing I was ever really good at was remembering important historical dates, but even then, I think I associated particular ideas or themes with each date, so I don't know if that even counts as rote memorization. Perhaps my ability to retain historical dates and important events is related to Si?

edit: I also remember having trouble memorizing vocabulary words in grammar school unless I understood the word and started utilizing it in my everyday speech. Other kids would memorize them long enough to know for the quiz, then forget them, it seemed. I would keep using the words, especially if I liked them, which led other kids to think I was a weirdo. I'm serious--they'd make fun of me and ask where a particular word came from. Uh, from last week's vocabulary lesson, don't you remember, fucktards? I was often told by adults that I spoke like a little professor. Anyway, what the fuck is the point of learning new vocabulary words if you're not going to retain them and enrich your own vocabulary?
I can totally relate to that! I have suprisingly good memory on dates

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Save for a period when I was younger, I've been pretty much unable to remember sentences word by word even if it is my own sentence I said ten seconds ago. I can reword it based on the meaning that I remember so this isn't really a problem. Well to be more precise, I can still do learn word by word e.g. some verses back in school, it's just a pain in the ass trying to learn. I did manage though. I just forgot the memorized texts very fast.

There was a technique my literature teacher shared with us in middle school, read the verse once or so every morning, after three days you've got most of it memorized effortlessly and it feels like it's automatic/implicit memory. I tried it once, it did work :eek:

But really my memory is best for numbers and sometimes even seemingly random characters stick better than words. (They aren't actually random to me because they have my synesthesia associated with them and that's what facilitates the memorizing of them, I'm pretty sure about that.) Numbers get retained automatically a lot of the time. When learning a foreign language, I can learn words though by rote memorizing if I have to. So my semantic memory is alright, just not the whatever kind of memory is needed for recite stuff word by word. That is, I can learn word by word but I will forget so fast it doesn't matter... I don't know any songs word by word for example :p.

Other than that, in general, I learn the fastest if I break down the statements into parts and build some structure, it's all about logic though, not Ne. It's even better if I can then put the freshly gained understanding into practice. I will master the thing much better then and with more practice it will be really on an automatic level too so it'll be a really solid skill then.

I can also do rote memorizing really well if I build up a structured system of categories and subcategories of the elements. Not without the help of such a structure, however.

I wouldn't know what that means in terms of MBTI.

Yes. And, like you say, i first need to understand the generals. I need to understand what the borders of the topic are, and then i can work out the relationships between the small things and etc.

That seems to have no connection with the issue of not learning well word by word, then. I don't need to start with the borders. I don't even like to start with reading the summary of the topic. I build it all up in my mind from reading the details. I will then do what I talked about above, the logical stuff.

Maybe. I also remember dates well but not because of any kind of associating with themes or ideas. It's a more musical thing, it's related to my number synesthesia I think.

Nice you kept using the words after the quiz :) I didn't :/ I was fine learning them for the quiz but that was all. That wasn't enough to start using them. I figured out later that I learn a word best if I meet the word in several kinds of context within a limited time frame (like a few days I think). Then it results in automatic knowledge that I can call on easily when I want to use the word or when I just want to understand it in another text.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't memorize stuff like that, either. That's a sure method to fry my brain. I need to be able to see and understand the relationships between the facts/statements, etc., along with a large dollop of curiosity. So I keep backing up to get the big picture.

The advantage is that once I get it, I get it inside and out and can rapidly build on that understanding. The disadvantage is that not everything can be learned this way and sometimes I cannot generate any interest in the material. I'm really having a hard time in school right now because of this...lists, pages, and lectures full of compliance laws, regulations, etc (I'm procrastinating right now on here to avoid the unpleasantness).