User Tag List

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Default Typing Your Friends, Associates, Comrades?

I wonder how you all generally learn about the types of others. For example, a typical throwaway line found in a post might be something like "An ESTP I know"... What I always wonder is, How do people learn types of others?

Do you ask, or do you utilize some kind of 'observation-based typing' method?

I observe & analyze. Then, match up traits & getting to know the way they decide their actions & view their perceptions. Not difficult for me.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Murrdogg View Post
    I observe & analyze. Then, match up traits & getting to know the way they decide their actions & view their perceptions. Not difficult for me.
    Okay, but how long do you think it would take? And how well would you need to know them?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Some people are quicker to type than others. Some people completely baffle me and I can't figure out their type for years. But, yeah... learning about MBTI, the functions, and then observation.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Quote Originally Posted by Lion 4.5 View Post
    Okay, but how long do you think it would take? And how well would you need to know them?
    Takes me about a week.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Pretty much the same as everyone else said. I observe and match up traits. Sometimes I can't figure them out for a while though. If they're close to me I can sometimes get them to take a test. Others are blatantly obvious. I'm not the best at it yet though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I observe the way they communicate verbally and in writing, which reveals their thought patterns. Basically, I look for evidence of the functions that they appear to prefer. Some like Ne or Si tend to jump out at me. Others like Ni or Se seem harder to identify. I try and determine what kind of temperament they are (NT, SJ, SP or NF). I assess whether they seem to be an introvert or an extrovert. I also try and get a sense as to whether they appear to be an intuitive or a sensing type. So my conclusions are a combination of these things. Sometimes I ask them.

Some people are much harder to type than others.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I keep it simple. And some people will probably say that I stereotype... >.>

I was taught to go by preference of letters first.

1) I find out if the person is either an I/E, S/N, F/T, or J/P preference. I skip a set of letters if the person feels like they're both. For example I would leave the space blank if I knew the person was an ES_ J.

a) I do this by observing
    b) And I do this by asking them questions

• I often know when someone is an Introverted Feeler by facial expressions
    • Same for Extraverted Feeler
    • Once I have those two things down I automatically cut out 8 other types. Ex: If the person is FP or TJ, they're introverted feelers. They just don't "emote" like a TP or FJ

Then if I'm stuck and I don't get an insight about the person that fits with a type, I look at the functions.

I use the functions as a way to double check everything. I don't primarily use them as a way of typing people though. I hate doing that. It takes much longer for me to get context for figuring out only their functions.

That's an extremely simplistic outline of the way I do it.

If I don't know the person, and it's only a matter of seconds. I use body language and facial expressions and I can usually figure out the last 2 letters.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12