User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I find all MBTI statistics highly suspect. Some people test correctly (or quickly identify their type in an introductory discussion of the four dimensions), but in my experience the majority struggles for at least a week and often months before settling on a type that they and everyone around them recognize as correct. I figure these people must really screw up any MBTI statistics where survey-takers have not essentially befriended each respondent for six months.

I tested SJ for years.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    I tested SJ for years.
    Really? During that time, did you think you were SJ?

I consistently test ENTJ unless I "answer I" on purpose.

MBTI
    INTJ

OMG! the Fs are going extinct in Danish land! *PLEASE PEOPLE* Fill out this new volunteer form I have put together! It says that 'those who volunteer will send over their next born child of F to the Danes'--THEY NEED OUR HELP TODAY! Help repopulate the danish kingdom with a new generation of Fs and go to idonatedmyFchildtothedanishkingdomandimproud.org for more inspirational stories of how exported children have helped person after person! Donate your child today!

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Bah, that again. Sometimes, when I hit reply only part of what I wrote goes through.
    if you press the 'back' button, many times you can still access what you typed and try sending it again

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Really? During that time, did you think you were SJ?

I consistently test ENTJ unless I "answer I" on purpose.
    At the time, I was not aware of MBTI ... so I was just acting the way I thought society expected me to act ... which mostly translated to what I now know is SJ. I went to a military college, so the structured and regulated way was the norm there. It was the same for my military career in my 20's. I did flip-flop into what I now know was SP mode ... as some of the SP tactical virtuosos were respected for their results ... even though they broke some of the rules.

I alternated between SJ and SP, but was never happy in either mode. In fact, I was so unhappy that I began sneaking away from work regularly (usually with SP friends/colleagues) to drink and womanize. I also started disregarding orders and directives that I felt were stupid or made no sense. Believe me, there were a lot of those. I butted heads with my superiors more and more frequently. My home life disintegrated as well when my unhappiness spilled over. Like some of my SP brethren, I still obtained good results with my unit, so my actions were tolerated ... for the time being.

The decision was made for me when I was forced out of the military after my boss accidentally killed a US soldier in the first gulf war, and then pinned the blame on me. I often wonder if he would have found somebody else to blame if I had been more of a team player and conformed. I did fight back .... for over 5 years ... and eventually my former boss was reduced in rank and forced out the military as well.

In retrospect, leaving the military was a good sanity break for me. I often think I should have just done my 5 year requirement and left then. I had a clean slate when I left, and realized that I did not want to go into management, so I became a software engineer. There are a lot of NTs in my field and it is much more suited to my personality, so I feel more content. I still have the persistent shadow haning over me that I do not want to move into leadership positions ... especially given all my military training and when employers see West Point on my resume. True to form however, as INTPs grow older, they have less and less desire to direct the activities of others. That is certainly the case with me.