• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lets talk about the shadow

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In enneagram he was pretty much a 5. I still don't like some stuff about 5 that's reminiscent of him...

In MBTI he was INTx something and I also don't like certain qualities about stereotypical INTx for the same reason. Specifically, too much thinking, being withdrawn/very asocial etc.

Most likely Ni-dom (sort of INTJ)... Ugh maybe I'm ESFP ha-ha :p

Ha ha...Well if you're an 8, or even a 7.. you will most likely have some hang ups with 5's. To me, it sounds like a shadow. Cause those qualities are not inherently bad. You just don't prefer them. That's all.

Same thing with Se Dom. You are not prone to enjoy those things, because Se doms dont value them. Se doms want more action than that. They also want more flowing conversation and thoughts. Meaning they don't want to be talking about the same subject for too long, variety is desired.

Where Ni doms (at least ime) don't experience time in the same fashion. It's a completely different set of preferences. Often Ni doms are trying to figure the depth of a situation.

Well that doesn't sound like an easy task lol

Yea, it's not always a comfortable process for everyone.

Something I tried doing was writing things down. Like I would write the person's name at the top of the page, and then write something positive about that person. There are some people that I still can only write 1 or 2 things about..but the purpose of the practice is to activate a part of your brain that will look for the answer.

You could try that with certain characteristics as well. Like trying to list the positives of an introvert or something along those lines. Cause what you've described, are just really introverted qualities.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Shouldn't the shadow of ESTP be an INFJ? So how can your shadow be an ENFP? You can't be extroverted and have an extroverted shadow as well as you can't be a Pe type and have a Pe shadow. Your shadow type use the same function as you, but in completly different order. http://personalitycafe.com/estp-forum-doers/70585-your-infj-shadow.html If you think your shadow is an ENFP, than you're an ISTJ.

How does one work out what your shadow personality is?

Currently it looks like thumb sucking going on here. I was under the impression that

Se Ti Fe Ni -> ESTP

shadow functions
Si Te Fi Ne -> ISTJ source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESTP#Shadow_functions

Fi Ne Si Te -> INFP (claimed shadow personality by the OP)

shadow functions
Fe Ni Se Ti -> ENFJ (what the OP should be according to the shadow functions)

So what IS the shadow personality then? Because currently it looks like, oh I don't like that personality so it must be my shadow personality.
:coffee:

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Currently it looks like thumb sucking going on here. I was under the impression that

Se Ti Fe Ni -> ESTP

shadow functions

shadow functions

So what IS the shadow personality then? Because currently it looks like, oh I don't like that personality so it must be my shadow personality.

It's strange, because what I've found on various forums looks like I said..shadow functions are your functions backwords. For INFP it's Te-Si-Ne-Fi that means ESTJ. I found it on personality cafe as well as on INFJforums not only in one article or thread, so I don't know why wikipedia described shadow functions like that. I am very sure about this, when NFP is under stress it can start to use the shadow functions and become more Te-ish, or Si-ish that can make us more preoccupiedwith details, or wierdly domineering. Here's another thread about it: http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-forum-inspirers/110227-enfp-grip-their-shadow-functions-negative-form-istj-examples.html

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's strange, because what I've found on various forums looks like I said..shadow functions are your functions backwords. For INFP it's Te-Si-Ne-Fi that means ESTJ. I found it on personality cafe as well as on INFJforums not only in one article or thread, so I don't know why wikipedia described shadow functions like that. I am very sure about this, when NFP is under stress it can start to use the shadow functions and become more Te-ish, or Si-ish that can make us more preoccupiedwith details, or wierdly domineering. Here's another thread about it: http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-forum-inspirers/110227-enfp-grip-their-shadow-functions-negative-form-istj-examples.html

Here they say Shadow Processes, confirming what Wikipedia states.
http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/16Types/16Types.cfm

And [MENTION=10808]andante[/MENTION] mentioned the same thing to me.

I'm going to be sneaky here and drag Socionics into this. Socionics says that your inverse (what you mentioned above when swapping the functions' order) is your dual. So why would you hate your dual? (yeah I know Socionics don't map entirely to MBTI)

[MENTION=5759]edchidna1000[/MENTION] what are you making of this?

:kick me:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Personally, I like the Enneagrams concept with regard to a person being at an (to the far left of the continuum) "unhealthy" or (to the far right of the continuum) "healthy" as opposed to the MBTI concept of a given type's "shadow function."

Here's why.

In my mind, it's simply a hell of a lot easier to know what the typical behavioral predispositions of your E-type are, and how they will likely be expressed during times of high, moderate, or low stress.
An unhealthy E7 will exhibit unhealthy E7 behaviors; whereas a healthy E7 will exhibit healthy E7 behaviors.
There is no ambiguity using the method described above. It's simple, it makes sense, and it's easy to remember.

Once you get into MBTI types and their respective "shadows" the water gets murky quickly for the following reasons:

(a) Since there are so many other personality theories similar to MBTI (Socionics, Jung, Keirsey, etc.) that use the same core cognitive functions and 16 types, yet have their own little nuances/rules to determine how to define things like "shadow types." To me, this is as senseless as using the Arabic number system as a base set, and allowing several different schools of mathematical theory determine what their operators (+, - ,* , / , etc.) are, and what each operator does. That's like having seven different versions of the distributive property and being expected to know to apply it correctly even where there is not a universal understanding of core mathematics.

(b) This is a pet peeve of mine. The whole concept of someone being an E/I - or - (and yes there are Ambiverts too) - or N/S - or - F/T - or - J/P is silly in a way because a "black and white" or "all or nothing" decision is made when determining someone's cognitive functions and their order - BUT - scores to the tune of ~51.5% = P / ~48.5% = J confound the concept of assigning on function dominance over its counterpart for the sake of theoretical definitions of archetypes, MBTI types, and ultimately "shadow types." Finally, considering there is such a mess of alphabet soup in the big garbled world of MBTI, the whole function order concept and applications of it seems like there is a hell of a lot more room for error than truth when pondering through it all and trying to build theoretical models that define vast groups of people in meaningful ways. Sorry, I just don't buy it. It's hokey.

Cheers,

-Halla74

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ha ha...Well if you're an 8, or even a 7.. you will most likely have some hang ups with 5's. To me, it sounds like a shadow. Cause those qualities are not inherently bad. You just don't prefer them. That's all.

I know nothing is "bad" in an objective sense. But meh, preference makes me feel that way.

Yes I find it interesting how my enneagram type would also predict issues like that :p

Same thing with Se Dom. You are not prone to enjoy those things, because Se doms dont value them. Se doms want more action than that. They also want more flowing conversation and thoughts. Meaning they don't want to be talking about the same subject for too long, variety is desired.

Where Ni doms (at least ime) don't experience time in the same fashion. It's a completely different set of preferences. Often Ni doms are trying to figure the depth of a situation.

Well I don't think I totally conform to these Se stereotypes. True, when I'm in a situation I definitely don't want to figure out depth of it or whatever. Otoh, when I'm more isolated from environment, e.g. sitting at this PC sort of helps doing that :p or when just nothing is going on, I'll stop paying that close attention to environment, so then, I might want more depth. I don't at all mind talking about the same subject in depth for a while. I just don't like thinking ALL DAY and the consequences of that.

Yea, it's not always a comfortable process for everyone.

Something I tried doing was writing things down. Like I would write the person's name at the top of the page, and then write something positive about that person. There are some people that I still can only write 1 or 2 things about..but the purpose of the practice is to activate a part of your brain that will look for the answer.

I do actually know what positive stuff was there about my dad, I sometimes thought about it, so that job's already done :)

Btw I noticed now that you mentioned feeling ashamed when being temporarily like the shadow. What kind of shame did you mean there?

You could try that with certain characteristics as well. Like trying to list the positives of an introvert or something along those lines. Cause what you've described, are just really introverted qualities.

I know they're introverted stuff and I'd hate myself seeing as a heavy introvert lol

This doesn't mean I can't sometimes be somewhat introverted, I had such a period in my life actually. But I still didn't like a lot about it. I did like the positive aspects of it so I know what would be in that list you suggested doing :)

I don't know, in that period, was I integrating my shadow to some extent? ?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I like the Enneagrams concept with regard to a person being at an (to the far left of the continuum) "unhealthy" or (to the far right of the continuum) "healthy" as opposed to the MBTI concept of a given type's "shadow function."

Here's why.

In my mind, it's simply a hell of a lot easier to know what the typical behavioral predispositions of your E-type are, and how they will likely be expressed during times of high, moderate, or low stress.
An unhealthy E7 will exhibit unhealthy E7 behaviors; whereas a healthy E7 will exhibit healthy E7 behaviors.
There is no ambiguity using the method described above. It's simple, it makes sense, and it's easy to remember.

Once you get into MBTI types and their respective "shadows" the water gets murky quickly for the following reasons:

(a) Since there are so many other personality theories similar to MBTI (Socionics, Jung, Keirsey, etc.) that use the same core cognitive functions and 16 types, yet have their own little nuances/rules to determine how to define things like "shadow types." To me, this is as senseless as using the Arabic number system as a base set, and allowing several different schools of mathematical theory determine what their operators (+, - ,* , / , etc.) are, and what each operator does. That's like having seven different versions of the distributive property and being expected to know to apply it correctly even where there is not a universal understanding of core mathematics.

(b) This is a pet peeve of mine. The whole concept of someone being an E/I - or - (and yes there are Ambiverts too) - or N/S - or - F/T - or - J/P is silly in a way because a "black and white" or "all or nothing" decision is made when determining someone's cognitive functions and their order - BUT - scores to the tune of ~51.5% = P / ~48.5% = J confound the concept of assigning on function dominance over its counterpart for the sake of theoretical definitions of archetypes, MBTI types, and ultimately "shadow types." Finally, considering there is such a mess of alphabet soup in the big garbled world of MBTI, the whole function order concept and applications of it seems like there is a hell of a lot more room for error than truth when pondering through it all and trying to build theoretical models that define vast groups of people in meaningful ways. Sorry, I just don't buy it. It's hokey.

Cheers,

-Halla74

I get your point, however the thing is, models will not determine reality. So if enneagram is a simpler model, that still won't make reality conform to it. Otoh, of course, a simpler model is easier to test and it has fewer assumptions thus most likely fewer incorrect ideas. Note this is based on likelihood, not actual certainty.

I agree that ambiguity in theories is a big problem though. Of course, a solution to that is subscribing to just one theory or another solution is understand the differences between the theories to avoid mixing them in the wrong way. Another solution is altogether ignore speculative articles/discussions about delving deeper into refined details of the basic model (of function order, whatnot). I actually do the second and third solutions mentioned here :p

I'm not sure what you meant by alphabet soup issue, enneagram has number digit soup right?

As for the issue with black and white preferences, enneagram by default isn't any better there, you're still supposed to fit yourself into a type in a black and white way. With the extensions enneagram offers it does get a bit better though (wings, whatnot). Socionics offers similar extensions (subtypes with different emphasis on manifestation of certain functions), generic MBTI/JCF completely lacks this though.....

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey there Valaki! :hifive:

I get your point, however the thing is, models will not determine reality.

I am completely aware that models do not DETERMINE reality; I'm an IT Systems Analyst - I build all kinds of models all the time, I get it.

However, models are frequently used to create REPRESENTATIONS of reality that are accurate to a degree acceptable by those using the model. Models also provide an opportunity for those using the model to have the benefits of (a) common language, (b) commonly defined relationships between the components of the model, and (d) commonly defined scope of the model's relevant range & applications, limitations and caveats.

My point? Common understanding of a given phenomena can often be achieved by building a model that is reasonably accurate, and that allows those studying the phenomena do so intelligibly and more accurately than if all parties used their own proprietary jargon for the components of the model, and non-standardized relationships between the model's components and the myriad of potentially applicable outcomes.

Again, my points are from my perspective - I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, but I'd wager tha others have similar sentiments for their own reasons.

valaki said:
So if enneagram is a simpler model, that still won't make reality conform to it.

This statement is out of scope for this discussion. I don't recall models of anything controlling reality as a topic in this discussion. Poorly defined models, or adhoc hybridization of similar models in diffetent ways over time will lead to poor understanding of the core material under study, and confusing discussions based on the prevalence of the widespread lack of common understanding noted above. That's really all I'm pointing out here, at least that was my intent.

valaki said:
Otoh, of course, a simpler model is easier to test and it has fewer assumptions thus most likely fewer incorrect ideas. Note this is based on likelihood, not actual certainty.

Yes, you will have an easier time convincing a panel of actuaries that the budgeting model you built using multiple linear regression is valid if the variables are few in number, are proven to significantly contribute to the model's predictive ability (aka "R-squared"), and that the data used was valid and appropriate for use on populations who will be affected ala use if the model. :coffee:

valaki said:
I agree that ambiguity in theories is a big problem though.

We do agree then more than not, yes? :cheese:

valaki said:
Of course, a solution to that is subscribing to just one theory or another
solution is understand the differences between the theories to avoid mixing them in the wrong way. Another solution is altogether ignore speculative articles/discussions about delving deeper into refined details of the basic model (of function order, whatnot). I actually do the second and third solutions mentioned here :p

Yes, your three solutions above all work to various degrees in preventing ambiguity/confusion. There are limitations though. Rarely does one theory provide all necessary information to solve a complex problem.

In such cases it might be necessary to use 2 or more models (provided their scopes, relevant ranges, and interaction effects between them are understood) - but that's basically a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) and it's actually a bit scary how many big decisions that have far reaching implecations are decided by a SWAG.

Finally, debating about minutiae on the the Internet is fun, and so we likely tolerate the inaccuracies discussed above here on TypC than we would ever tolerate in our careers or studies. :happy:

valaki said:
I'm not sure what you meant by alphabet soup issue, enneagram has number digit soup right?

I was being facetious, that's all. :)

valaki said:
As for the issue with black and white preferences, enneagram by default isn't any better there, you're still supposed to fit yourself into a type in a black and white way. With the extensions enneagram offers it does get a bit better though (wings, whatnot). Socionics offers similar extensions (subtypes with different emphasis on manifestation of certain functions), generic MBTI/JCF completely lacks this though.....

Agreed, I simply like Enneagram the best of them all, as I said above these are my preferences.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

It's strange, because what I've found on various forums looks like I said..shadow functions are your functions backwords. For INFP it's Te-Si-Ne-Fi that means ESTJ. I found it on personality cafe as well as on INFJforums not only in one article or thread, so I don't know why wikipedia described shadow functions like that.

That's the way I have understood it as well.

I'm pretty sure we're right..

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Se Ti Fe Ni -> ESTP

shadow functions

shadow functions

Hi chubber :hi: lol

I'm gonna chime in here.

Hope you don't mind.

This is what I was referring to before. The part where I was saying that typology cannot reveal the entirety of the shadow.

You both are right.

I actually forgot about what you had mentioned, but you are right as well. The ISTJ is the shadow of ESTP by definition yes.

However, there's more to it than just definition. The ISTJ shadow is not going to explain the only avenue in which the shadow of an ESTP's is revealed. The inferior and tertiary functions also live in the shadows of the dominant function. Even further...the aux (if not developed properly or enough) could be a route to revealing the shadow.

That is, if we are talking about the entirety of the shadow of one person.

And not just the shadow of the personality type called ESTP.

There's more to shadows than just typology.

And one of the ways that a shadow manifests itself, is by projection.

When someone says "I hate when Jack always has to get his way." that is typically a sign of projection. And we project our shadow to protect ourselves. We don't want to have that quality of always having to get our way, cause that would make us unlovable. So we project it on to others as if it's their problem.

The degree of how much you hate Jack for doing this....determines if it's a shadow, or how deep seeded the shadow is.

We project shadows all day everyday. It's practically unavoidable. We are not perfect.

I'm going to be sneaky here and drag Socionics into this. Socionics says that your inverse (what you mentioned above when swapping the functions' order) is your dual. So why would you hate your dual? (yeah I know Socionics don't map entirely to MBTI)

I actually don't like my dual most of the time.

I have a lot of shadows dealing with ISFj's (socionics, ISFP's MBTI) that I'm working through atm.

I like socionics, but I never have related to the relationships aspect. :thinking:

Btw I noticed now that you mentioned feeling ashamed when being temporarily like the shadow. What kind of shame did you mean there?

A shadow is something you've suppressed usually. For example as I child I repressed the side of me that was bored, and the side of me that wanted everything in the store. This is because my impression of what my parents had about those characteristics....was unlovable. That is shame.

And now as I'm working through this shadow, I am realizing that there is no gd shame in wanting a candy bar in the store ha ha....

I still have problems with the word bored. I still find it to be shameful to be bored...but this is my own shadow.

I know there is nothing wrong with other people being bored. Most people accept this. I have not. So when other ppl say their bored I roll my eyes. That's an example of how I was influenced to think it was shameful. Know what I mean?

I know they're introverted stuff and I'd hate myself seeing as a heavy introvert lol

Yea, that is shame. ^

This doesn't mean I can't sometimes be somewhat introverted, I had such a period in my life actually. But I still didn't like a lot about it. I did like the positive aspects of it so I know what would be in that list you suggested doing :)

I don't know, in that period, was I integrating my shadow to some extent? ?

Could be. Like I said, it's so hard to tell cause I don't know you that well, and can't see you face to face...stuff like that. Shadows are pretty personal and cannot always be seen via typing to one another.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey there Valaki! :hifive:

Hey :p

I am completely aware that models do not DETERMINE reality; I'm an IT Systems Analyst - I build all kinds of models all the time, I get it.

I actually didn't assume that you really thought they determine reality, but the wording you used seemed a bit dangerous regarding that and that's why I mentioned this.

However, models are frequently used to create REPRESENTATIONS of reality that are accurate to a degree acceptable by those using the model. Models also provide an opportunity for those using the model to have the benefits of (a) common language, (b) commonly defined relationships between the components of the model, and (d) commonly defined scope of the model's relevant range & applications, limitations and caveats.

My point? Common understanding of a given phenomena can often be achieved by building a model that is reasonably accurate, and that allows those studying the phenomena do so intelligibly and more accurately than if all parties used their own proprietary jargon for the components of the model, and non-standardized relationships between the model's components and the myriad of potentially applicable outcomes.

Again, my points are from my perspective - I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, but I'd wager tha others have similar sentiments for their own reasons.

You don't need to convince anyone here, this is basic science 101 :) I'd just add that we don't even need to use science, our brains build models all the time... and then we have cognitive biases distorting the models and then consequently our viewing of reality may be distorted too. That's what I like to warn about a lot.

This statement is out of scope for this discussion. I don't recall models of anything controlling reality as a topic in this discussion. Poorly defined models, or adhoc hybridization of similar models in diffetent ways over time will lead to poor understanding of the core material under study, and confusing discussions based on the prevalence of the widespread lack of common understanding noted above. That's really all I'm pointing out here, at least that was my intent.

We are very much on the same page :)

We do agree then more than not, yes? :cheese:

I never doubted this :)

Yes, your three solutions above all work to various degrees in preventing ambiguity/confusion. There are limitations though. Rarely does one theory provide all necessary information to solve a complex problem.

In such cases it might be necessary to use 2 or more models (provided their scopes, relevant ranges, and interaction effects between them are understood) - but that's basically a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) and it's actually a bit scary how many big decisions that have far reaching implecations are decided by a SWAG.

Yes, that's why I said it's good to understand the differences between the models because in terms of personality theory just one model clearly doesn't cut it. I know though that a lot of people just go for the simplest solution - sticking with one model and ignoring the rest.

Finally, debating about minutiae on the the Internet is fun, and so we likely tolerate the inaccuracies discussed above here on TypC than we would ever tolerate in our careers or studies. :happy:

Yeah

Agreed, I simply like Enneagram the best of them all, as I said above these are my preferences.

I actually like Enneagram a lot myself but I can see some issues even there and that's exactly because I made myself familiar with the other models.

However, there's more to it than just definition. The ISTJ shadow is not going to explain the only avenue in which the shadow of an ESTP's is revealed. The inferior and tertiary functions also live in the shadows of the dominant function. Even further...the aux (if not developed properly or enough) could be a route to revealing the shadow.

That is, if we are talking about the entirety of the shadow of one person.

And not just the shadow of the personality type called ESTP.

There's more to shadows than just typology.

I think this makes a lot of sense.

And one of the ways that a shadow manifests itself, is by projection.

When someone says "I hate when Jack always has to get his way." that is typically a sign of projection. And we project our shadow to protect ourselves. We don't want to have that quality of always having to get our way, cause that would make us unlovable. So we project it on to others as if it's their problem.

The degree of how much you hate Jack for doing this....determines if it's a shadow, or how deep seeded the shadow is.

We project shadows all day everyday. It's practically unavoidable. We are not perfect.

I will have to observe myself more to see if I'm doing this much. With my dad, I've always been acutely aware of this, but I would have to watch it happening with other people.

Oh and as for the concrete example you used; I'm the type who always wants to get their way, I think inside my family they accepted me this way (?), outside quite a few people have not. I still don't mind having this quality, I just don't like some consequences sometimes. I also don't mind it about other people. At best it'll make us fight hard :D So, apparently, the influence from people that happened later outside my family, isn't enough to make one push something down into the shadow? It usually happens when still a small kid?

I actually don't like my dual most of the time.

I have a lot of shadows dealing with ISFj's (socionics, ISFP's MBTI) that I'm working through atm.

I like socionics, but I never have related to the relationships aspect. :thinking:

What's your type in Socionics? ENTj? What's there to love about Socionics ISFj's lol

A shadow is something you've suppressed usually. For example as I child I repressed the side of me that was bored, and the side of me that wanted everything in the store. This is because my impression of what my parents had about those characteristics....was unlovable. That is shame.

And now as I'm working through this shadow, I am realizing that there is no gd shame in wanting a candy bar in the store ha ha....

I still have problems with the word bored. I still find it to be shameful to be bored...but this is my own shadow.

I know there is nothing wrong with other people being bored. Most people accept this. I have not. So when other ppl say their bored I roll my eyes. That's an example of how I was influenced to think it was shameful. Know what I mean

Ah, heh, I'm now thinking it's not as simple as just parents not accepting some of your traits. I mean, when I wanted stuff in the store, I either got it or not, often not because we had no money back then, and when I was nagging my parents I'm pretty sure they didn't like it, I didn't get praise for it for sure. Still it didn't affect me so I suppose in general I was accepted the way I was. In your case, did you get outright punishment for these things?

And yeah I can affirm, absolutely no shame in wanting that candy bar ;) (Just don't get fat :p)

Yea, that is shame. ^

In terms of not wanting to accept that stuff as part of my identity? So this kind of shame isn't necessarily directly motivated by external influence?

Actually I don't recall anyone at home punishing me in any way for being slow moving - guess I was never slow anyway :) or for being withdrawn in my thoughts etc.

Could be. Like I said, it's so hard to tell cause I don't know you that well, and can't see you face to face...stuff like that. Shadows are pretty personal and cannot always be seen via typing to one another.

When you integrate your shadow, what's supposedly the result? Would it have any negative side effects?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The first thing I'm making of this is that one of you has confused the reversal of the first four functions in MBTI e.g. Ne Ti Fe Si to Si Fe Ti Ne with the shadow functions/processes e.g. Ni Te Fi Se for an ENTP.

Now in Socionics, assuming a direct map from MBTI where the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th functions of MBTI map to the 1st, 2nd, 6th and 5th Socionics functions, we find that the Dual is the former e.g. Ne Ti Fe Si (ILE-ENTp) paired with Si Fe Ti Ne (SEI-ISFp).

When Socionics version of 'shadow' functions are brought into play we get the Contrary relation i.e. when Ne Ti Fe Si (ILE-ENTp) is paired with Ni Te Fi Se (ILI-INTp).

A Socionics Model A insight would be that for an ILE-ENTp, the functions in the 1st and 2nd positions belong to the Ego block while the 5th and 6th functions belong to the Super-Id block. These are the two 'valued' blocks where the information provided by those information blocks are appreciated.

For the ILE-ENTp, Ni and Te would belong to the Id block and Fi and Se to the Super-Ego block, which are the 'subdued' blocks. The information from these are unappreciated, with the Id block seen as unnecessary/uninteresting while the Super-Ego block being a source of neurosis and inadequacy.

As such if one were to assume this mapping of Socionics to MBTI... the shadow functions would be those that are disliked/unvalued by whatever type it is.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will have to observe myself more to see if I'm doing this much. With my dad, I've always been acutely aware of this, but I would have to watch it happening with other people.

Oh and as for the concrete example you used; I'm the type who always wants to get their way, I think inside my family they accepted me this way (?), outside quite a few people have not. I still don't mind having this quality, I just don't like some consequences sometimes. I also don't mind it about other people. At best it'll make us fight hard So, apparently, the influence from people that happened later outside my family, isn't enough to make one push something down into the shadow? It usually happens when still a small kid?

Ah, this is a really great question.

And I actually don't have an objective answer for this. I would look it up but I'm not able to, due to me being at work right now :p

But seriously, it's a good question. I think my opinion would be that they can form at anytime. Anytime that we are impressionable. I don't know if that means just as a child.

-And I also don't mind people that get their way. And I know I'm that type of person. I like that in me :)

What's your type in Socionics? ENTj? What's there to love about Socionics ISFj's lol

Well my MBTI type is ENTJ. But I am not sold that MBTI types directly translates in Socionics.

Ah, heh, I'm now thinking it's not as simple as just parents not accepting some of your traits. I mean, when I wanted stuff in the store, I either got it or not, often not because we had no money back then, and when I was nagging my parents I'm pretty sure they didn't like it, I didn't get praise for it for sure. Still it didn't affect me so I suppose in general I was accepted the way I was. In your case, did you get outright punishment for these things?

And yeah I can affirm, absolutely no shame in wanting that candy bar ;) (Just don't get fat :p)

I was punished because my mother said I was bad. I'm an E6, we have fear of abandonment....I felt punished....whether or not she was trying to impose shame upon me, she did. I felt like I was the worst kid in the world. And she told me that she would never go to the store with me again.

In terms of not wanting to accept that stuff as part of my identity? So this kind of shame isn't necessarily directly motivated by external influence?
Yea, that's a shadow. It doesn't have to be from an external influence...or at least you might not remember where the influence was from. The truth is we are all shy AND gregarious....you know? To deny ourselves of that is to create a shadow. We are full when we accept the light and dark of ourselves.

Actually I don't recall anyone at home punishing me in any way for being slow moving - guess I was never slow anyway :) or for being withdrawn in my thoughts etc.

It could still be a shadow even if you don't remember it coming from a particular influence.

When you integrate your shadow, what's supposedly the result? Would it have any negative side effects?

:laugh: depends on what your shadow is. There are light and dark shadows.

Also "negative" is subjective. Unless you mean detrimental...do you mean detrimental to health?

For example...I like when I am with people that can't get along with some of my friends, I find that to be "negative" but that's a shadow. Because objectively it is not a bad or negative thing for someone to be stubborn. For me to work through that shadow I have to accept the fact that someone being stubborn can be a good thing. It's really that simple.

In the process of working through a shadow I don't have any detrimental side effects...

It may be subjectively uncomfortable...and I may let myself become a little more stubborn in the process...but it's not detrimental...

make sense?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, this is a really great question.

And I actually don't have an objective answer for this. I would look it up but I'm not able to, due to me being at work right now :p

But seriously, it's a good question. I think my opinion would be that they can form at anytime. Anytime that we are impressionable. I don't know if that means just as a child.

Do let me know if you find some more answers for it. :)

-And I also don't mind people that get their way. And I know I'm that type of person. I like that in me :)

Cool!

Well my MBTI type is ENTJ. But I am not sold that MBTI types directly translates in Socionics.

Mine seems to translate but that means nothing yea

I was punished because my mother said I was bad. I'm an E6, we have fear of abandonment....I felt punished....whether or not she was trying to impose shame upon me, she did. I felt like I was the worst kid in the world. And she told me that she would never go to the store with me again.

I see :/ I don't recall being told "you're bad". Hmm.

Yea, that's a shadow. It doesn't have to be from an external influence...or at least you might not remember where the influence was from. The truth is we are all shy AND gregarious....you know? To deny ourselves of that is to create a shadow. We are full when we accept the light and dark of ourselves.

What's good about being shy ??

But really, what, tell me? :)

:laugh: depends on what your shadow is. There are light and dark shadows.

Haha no idea. Might be really goddamn fucking dark because I usually don't deal with that sort of stuff in my consciousness. (One of the reasons why I relate to type 7.)

Also "negative" is subjective. Unless you mean detrimental...do you mean detrimental to health?

No, if you mean physical health.

In terms of mental health, maybe.

For example...I like when I am with people that can't get along with some of my friends, I find that to be "negative" but that's a shadow. Because objectively it is not a bad or negative thing for someone to be stubborn. For me to work through that shadow I have to accept the fact that someone being stubborn can be a good thing. It's really that simple.

In the process of working through a shadow I don't have any detrimental side effects...

It may be subjectively uncomfortable...and I may let myself become a little more stubborn in the process...but it's not detrimental...

make sense?

I understand you but what I experienced in that period of my life was a feeling of being disconnected from the world. At one point I was not simply feeling disconnected but some internal feeling thingie* was turned off. That was simply too much for me and I decided to reverse that part of the process and I did.

(*: Again going to have to think about ESFP... :p )

Maybe that sounds strange about deciding to reverse a mental happening - maybe I just lucked out but I seem to have some natural control over some of these things. Not all of it though, that would be a superpower :p

Anyway, that period, it wasn't simply depression because it was changing my outlook in many things. I basically developed some new side of myself. Some introverted one, yes. And as I said, there were also some good results from that.

I'm sorry I don't know if any of this made much sense...?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mine seems to translate but that means nothing yea

I don't think mine translates directly...actually I have had trouble with figuring it out.

What's good about being shy ??

But really, what, tell me? :)

Well shy ppl usually think before they speak. They also think before they act. I think those are awesome qualities. Partly cause I don't have them :laugh: I envy shy ppl sometimes. They look smarter....if you know what I mean.

Being too self revealing of your thoughts can make others think you're incompetent.

And shyness has it's own cuteness about it.

They usually get along with everyone cause they don't say hurtful or abrasive things.

(God I'm realizing I don't have a shy bone in my body :laugh: )

Haha no idea. Might be really goddamn fucking dark because I usually don't deal with that sort of stuff in my consciousness. (One of the reasons why I relate to type 7.)

Ha ha well if you're not a self-loathing E4...it's most likely dark lol

That example is a joke ^ of course.

No, if you mean physical health.

In terms of mental health, maybe.

Yea I mean mental or physical.

I understand you but what I experienced in that period of my life was a feeling of being disconnected from the world. At one point I was not simply feeling disconnected but some internal feeling thingie* was turned off. That was simply too much for me and I decided to reverse that part of the process and I did.

(*: Again going to have to think about ESFP... :p )

Maybe that sounds strange about deciding to reverse a mental happening - maybe I just lucked out but I seem to have some natural control over some of these things. Not all of it though, that would be a superpower :p

Anyway, that period, it wasn't simply depression because it was changing my outlook in many things. I basically developed some new side of myself. Some introverted one, yes. And as I said, there were also some good results from that.

I'm sorry I don't know if any of this made much sense...?

Yes I understand what you mean.

What you've described sounds like you went into some kinda E5 disconnect or something.

You could have disintegrated for a while? And then maybe stopped it.

Either way I am not the person to ask about detrimental lol ...cause I think everything happens for a reason (Yep I'm one of those ppl.)

So I think, we shouldn't be actively look for suffering or anything...but we should look for the improvements we can make from it when it does happen. That way, you always get the most efficiency out of any situation.

(btws...I thought I responded to this A WHILE ago...and then just realized I didn't :doh: sorryz)

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
if I understood a fucking word INTP told me via youtube, the shadow is person specific, and is what you have been trained over the years to conceal. So for me, I don't tell anyone I'm nice anymore. In fact anytime someone thinks I did something nice I deny it.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think mine translates directly...actually I have had trouble with figuring it out.

Did you see edchidna1000's socionics typing thread?

Well shy ppl usually think before they speak. They also think before they act. I think those are awesome qualities. Partly cause I don't have them :laugh: I envy shy ppl sometimes. They look smarter....if you know what I mean.

Being too self revealing of your thoughts can make others think you're incompetent.

And shyness has it's own cuteness about it.

They usually get along with everyone cause they don't say hurtful or abrasive things.

(God I'm realizing I don't have a shy bone in my body :laugh: )

Hey you certainly have the ability to reframe anything in a positive way ;p

I disagree about one thing though, they don't necessarily look smarter, I think shyness is actually a disadvantage in terms of that. Though I can understand your reasoning

Yea I mean mental or physical.

Well I meant something like, if your shadow has qualities conflicting with qualities of your conscious, it would easily have negative results, instead of finding whatever balance. Making sense?

Yes I understand what you mean.

What you've described sounds like you went into some kinda E5 disconnect or something.

You could have disintegrated for a while? And then maybe stopped it.

Either way I am not the person to ask about detrimental lol ...cause I think everything happens for a reason (Yep I'm one of those ppl.)

So I think, we shouldn't be actively look for suffering or anything...but we should look for the improvements we can make from it when it does happen. That way, you always get the most efficiency out of any situation.

I do call it the big E5 disintegration yes :p

In terms of MBTI it makes slightly less sense unless I'm ESFP because it was an INTx thingie. Though function-wise I could only categorize it as Ni+Ti. And if I go with ESTP then the Ti should still be okay. Or if shadow is the shadow functions, not the tertiary/inferior then it makes even less sense, it wasn't SiTe or SiFe. See it doesn't add up for MBTI ;p (Well or if ESTP can "NiTi-loop", sure...)

(btws...I thought I responded to this A WHILE ago...and then just realized I didn't :doh: sorryz)

No worries :)

if I understood a fucking word INTP told me via youtube, the shadow is person specific, and is what you have been trained over the years to conceal. So for me, I don't tell anyone I'm nice anymore. In fact anytime someone thinks I did something nice I deny it.

Why, do you want to be seen as a totally bad person or what?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Why, do you want to be seen as a totally bad person or what?

Idunno if I WANT to... I guess I just don't want people thinking I'm going to give anything to them, because I"m actually too giving.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Idunno if I WANT to... I guess I just don't want people thinking I'm going to give anything to them, because I"m actually too giving.

for that just learn to say "no". If I understood your problem correctly

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
for that just learn to say "no". If I understood your problem correctly

they usually aren't yes no questions. They're usually people coming up to me and starting regular conversations and then it eventually turns into asking me for favors and calling me daily, and saying "please don't call me anymore" results in some kind of absolute move on their part to never speak to me again... which, perhaps is a good thing. Hmm...

It comes in other ways as well. I listen to my family and advice people give me but frankly a lot of their advice isn't relevant. But they get mad when I don't take their advice and tell me I need to listen to them more and be more humble and blah blah blah... The hardest part is figuring out what is actually my fault and what is theirs, as I want to be objective through the whole situation.