• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lets talk about the shadow

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I disagree, I think that's your ego, image, identification that you would like to project. Your shadow is much more embarrassing, like you mentioned, that same creature wearing a tutu and writing poetry about its feelings.

lmao. My shadow is an enfp then?

I suppose its possible. Idunno in that video that [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] posted, one of those fucking psychologists said that your shadow is indicated when someone acts in a way that is normal for them, and you get randomly angry or irritated with them. So in my case, I am spontaneously angry when I look at art by grandma moses.

But I'm still not entirely sure how getting angry at her fucking shit is an indication of my shadow... perhaps its an indication that that aspect does not exist in my soul at all? Or that it reminds me of a great void in my existence and its painful? I get spontaneously angry at the artist "grandma moses." I want to burn down grandma moses' house and rape her children simply because her art sucks. I mean, take a look at this horse shit.

grandma_moses26.jpg

I suppose its beautiful if you have your head wedged in your ass and enjoy sniffing the smell of your own shit.

Does this mean that somehow I'm grandma fucking moses? Because that doesn't make sense. Maybe the way I behave when I see her art is my shadow self. The same person but irrational and abusive.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
may i ask how you experience your shadow as an ENFP?

I haven't thought very deeply about this, but I believe there is a difference between an MBTI shadow and a shadow in broader psychological terms. I do introvert in a very ISTJ way, as in I feel like a Si-dom. I want to do the things that I know already and comfort myself with familiarity and normality, and my thought becomes very deliberative.

As for my shadow, the thing that's me that I don't want to regard... I feel that's more enneagram related. It's all about being being insignificant and uninspired.

I suppose its possible. Idunno in that video that [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] posted, one of those fucking psychologists said that your shadow is indicated when someone acts in a way that is normal for them, and you get randomly angry or irritated with them. So in my case, my INFP ex who would say how "omg we're dualz its written in the stars we're are total opposites and cover each others strengths lets all hold hands and dance then watch shrek."

But I'm still not entirely sure how getting angry at their fucking naive bullshit is an indication of my shadow... perhaps its an indication that that aspect does not exist in my soul at all? Or that it reminds me of a great void in my existence and its painful? I get spontaneously angry at the artist "grandma moses." I want to burn down grandma moses' house and rape her children simply because her art sucks.

It's in your soul, the deal with people is that every one of us is about holding hands, singing tralala and burning down and molesting shit. A good indication of it being your shadow is that you don't think it's there. Anyway, all this golum shit has been your PR from day one, you don't rep your own shadow.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I just got this hilarious image of my head of a circle of people holding hands ranging from vikings to hippies to scientists and mole men.

No this doesn't make sense. How am I supposed to merge with something that makes me neurotic when I try to be it?

I've listened to sigur ros and participated in hand holding hippie rallies. At the end of the day I want to vomit and people start asking me nicely if I'd like to join them again sometime and how beautiful I am and then I start clawing my face off.

My anima, however, is another story entirely. I'm all for hanging out in a group of close nit individuals who are completely open about their feelings and cuddling. But this mystical "lets all become one with the universe" thing that nfp's tend to masturbate to makes me ill if I spend more than a day doing it.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just got this hilarious image of my head of a circle of people holding hands ranging from vikings to hippies to scientists and mole men.

No this doesn't make sense. How am I supposed to merge with something that makes me neurotic when I try to be it?

I've listened to sigur ros and participated in hand holding hippie rallies. At the end of the day I want to vomit and people start asking me nicely if I'd like to join them again sometime and how beautiful I am and then I start clawing my face off.

My anima, however, is another story entirely. I'm all for hanging out in a group of close nit individuals who are completely open about their feelings and cuddling. But this mystical "lets all become one with the universe" thing that nfp's tend to masturbate to makes me ill if I spend more than a day doing it.

Don't, if you're functional without it. Merging with your shadow for no reason other than discovery is a task for 4s and mystics.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I suppose its possible. Idunno in that video that [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] posted, one of those fucking psychologists said that your shadow is indicated when someone acts in a way that is normal for them, and you get randomly angry or irritated with them. So in my case, I am spontaneously angry when I look at art by grandma moses.

But I'm still not entirely sure how getting angry at her fucking shit is an indication of my shadow... perhaps its an indication that that aspect does not exist in my soul at all? Or that it reminds me of a great void in my existence and its painful? I get spontaneously angry at the artist "grandma moses." I want to burn down grandma moses' house and rape her children simply because her art sucks. I mean, take a look at this horse shit.

grandma_moses26.jpg

I suppose its beautiful if you have your head wedged in your ass and enjoy sniffing the smell of your own shit.

Does this mean that somehow I'm grandma fucking moses? Because that doesn't make sense. Maybe the way I behave when I see her art is my shadow self. The same person but irrational and abusive.

You are what you hate. The more you hate it, the more of an indication that it's your shadow.

You are grandma Moses, and her art, and everyone that likes it.

Your dream to build a happy empire kinda sounds like what one of those pics looks like to me. Just as an observer.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MBTI Shadow is not the same as a Jungian Shadow. I don't believe that there is a necessarily an inclination to respond the same to cognative function shadow as it is to your Jungian shadow self.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems that people here dont really understand the concept of shadow..

First of all you cant say that for example an INFP has a shadow that will rip you a new one, because that would assume that every INFP in the world tries to always be nice to everyone all the time. Type itself is not equal to the common traits that some type often has, type is about different ways of using cognition and those common traits are nothing more than traits that commonly result from some particular cognitive styles. However you can say that some particular INFP has an aggressive(or what ever word you want to use for ripping you a new one) shadow, but some INFPs are evil and know it, therefore you cant say that this evil part that will rip you a new one is the INFP shadow. Some evil INFP would have a good natured shadow.

Ps. This thread belongs to other psychology topics section, as shadow isnt about typology

I have only watched the first video you posted....I will get to the others too..

But wouldn't you agree with Debbie that we all have a theme? That we all have a story?

And if so .... doesn't typology kind of (not fully, I understand it's not always fully) identify those themes?

There are shadows in each typology system isn't there?

If you're an 8 you don't want to look like a 2....even though your inner child is a 2....

Stuff like that...

Are you saying that I'm wrong?

badger055

Permabanned

Hippie hand holding sounds like INFJ. My INFJ ex was the epitome of that to the max. She wanted to melt into the universe, vegan, gave out free hugs, spiritual ect. Even my INFJ dad made us hold hands for prayer. I think you have a distorted view on how INFJs are.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
You are what you hate. The more you hate it, the more of an indication that it's your shadow.

You are grandma Moses, and her art, and everyone that likes it.

Your dream to build a happy empire kinda sounds like what one of those pics looks like to me. Just as an observer.

vader.jpg

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Hippie hand holding sounds like INFJ. My INFJ ex was the epitome of that to the max. She wanted to melt into the universe, vegan, gave out free hugs, spiritual ect. Even my INFJ dad made us hold hands for prayer. I think you have a distorted view on how INFJs are.

ugh fine, pretend I said enfj.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Lolwut?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I hate too much passivity, unrealistic thinking, rigid morals. stuff like that...... is this MBTI shadow or something else?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate too much passivity, unrealistic thinking, rigid morals. stuff like that...... is this MBTI shadow or something else?

The answer to that is subjective, and I don't know you well enough to know that.

But what I do know is if you find those things to be very irritating in other ppl, you have most likely projected your shadow on to them. (which in my opinion, can be broken down by all the forms of typology if we tried...MBTI, enneagram, instincts, etc... I don't think just one of those systems or even all three are expansive enought to cover all aspects of the shadow...they can certainly reveal parts of your shadow though.)

This means... if I was for example to go by your enneatype...I would say that you don't like passivity, and therefore don't think that you're a passive person. Being that you're an 8...you don't indentify with passivity...However, you integrate to 2. (One of the most passive types) It's your inner child. The thing you desire to do, but are ashamed of doing. (probably because you don't want to be vulnerable, I'm guessing.)

That's just one of your examples...like I said I'd have to know you more to know whether or not the other things you described, are shadows.

The more you don't like something in someone else...the higher the probability is that you are projecting your shadow on to them.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This means... if I was for example to go by your enneatype...I would say that you don't like passivity, and therefore don't think that you're a passive person.

I do feel very strongly about that yes.

Being that you're an 8...you don't indentify with passivity...However, you integrate to 2. (One of the most passive types) It's your inner child. The thing you desire to do, but are ashamed of doing. (probably because you don't want to be vulnerable, I'm guessing.)

I wasn't aware type 2 is that passive? :O By that I mean more than just not standing up for yourself. I mean stuff like sitting all day not doing much... But yes sort of a pushover as well. I guess unhealthy type 2 can be seen as that at least.

The more you don't like something in someone else...the higher the probability is that you are projecting your shadow on to them.

Actually quite some of that is what my father was like. I didn't really accept him as a kid. Would that be related to shadow?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wasn't aware type 2 is that passive? :O By that I mean more than just not standing up for yourself. I mean stuff like sitting all day not doing much... But yes sort of a pushover as well. I guess unhealthy type 2 can be seen as that at least.

Yea ime 2's are doormats compared to 8's. If you're talking more about sloth-like characteristics then I am not sure..2's will go above and beyond but only if they feel there is a proper reward... either way... I find that the 8's I know are secretly sloth like...its like they want to boss everyone else around so they can just sit at their desk and play solitaire...lol (doesn't mean that's you tho)

That may have nothing to do with your shadow..that's what I mean by typology not being able to encompass all of the reasons for a shadow. And its your own subjective reasons anyways...everyone's shadow is so different.

Actually quite some of that is what my father was like. I didn't really accept him as a kid. Would that be related to shadow?
Most likely.

A shadow could be as simple as not wanting to accept that you're your parent's offspring.... you don't necessarily have to be an extreme pushover or sloth...but you may have denied these qualities as a child, and because u did they bother you more. To bring balance back to the extreme, you sort of have to accept that sometimes you can give in to ppl you like....or sometimes you do feel like doing absolutely nothing all day long...I'm sure you have days like that...if you don't then you're probably lying to yourself.

And once you accept that you do these things even once in a while....you sorta have to find a way to bring light to those qualities..or exalt those characteristics... so that you don't feel so ashamed when you do actually do them. Most of the time there is an "aha moment" that happens when u find the good in qualities you've been suppressing for so long. It's like a relief in a way for the psyche.

(This is coming from someone that took a long time to accept a little lazy inner child of their own. I was so annoyed when I read about mine...I have never been called lazy in my life! Lol)

Last edited:

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yea ime 2's are doormats compared to 8's. If you're talking more about sloth-like characteristics then I am not sure..2's will go above and beyond but only if they feel there is a proper reward... either way... I find that the 8's I know are secretly sloth like...its like they want to boss everyone else around so they can just sit at their desk and play solitaire...lol (doesn't mean that's you tho)

I meant a mix of doormat & apathetic passiveness.

Hahaha at the bolded - that's actually not such a terrible thing

Most likely.

A shadow could be as simple as not wanting to accept that you're your parent's offspring....

Indeed I didn't want to accept that.

you don't necessarily have to be an extreme pushover or sloth...but you may have denied these qualities as a child, and because u did they bother you more. To bring balance back to the extreme, you sort of have to accept that sometimes you can give in to ppl you like....or sometimes you do feel like doing absolutely nothing all day long...I'm sure you have days like that...if you don't then you're probably lying to yourself.

Yeah the passivity and unrealistic paranoid thinking were qualities I saw in my father. He wasn't a doormat so that's something else :p Also the rigid moralistic stuff wasn't him either, not much anyway.

I think I need to clarify the passivity thing more. I don't have a problem with resting. What I meant was more like along the lines of giving up on life and just sit and do nothing, prone to procrastination, withdrawn. That's how I saw him. Though I'm sure that it was more complex than that, this was through a kid's eyes. In enneagram he was pretty much a 5. I still don't like some stuff about 5 that's reminiscent of him...

In MBTI he was INTx something and I also don't like certain qualities about stereotypical INTx for the same reason. Specifically, too much thinking, being withdrawn/very asocial etc.

Most likely Ni-dom (sort of INTJ)... Ugh maybe I'm ESFP ha-ha :p

And once you accept that you do these things even once in a while....you sorta have to find a way to bring light to those qualities..or exalt those characteristics... so that you don't feel so ashamed when you do actually do them. Most of the time there is an "aha moment" that happens when u find the good in qualities you've been suppressing for so long. It's like a relief in a way for the psyche.

Well that doesn't sound like an easy task lol

(This is coming from someone that took a long time to accept a little lazy inner child of their own. I was so annoyed when I read about mine...I have never been called lazy in my life! Lol)

Heh I see :)