• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jung on Ni-doms: "y'all a bunch of crazies."

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Worldbuilding Mountaintops in Jung's Ni

hqdefault.jpg

All Spectra Everywhere Spurs Waterfalling Blizzards!

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I blame Myers wrongly equating N with intellectualism for this BS, there are plently of S intellectuals. Jung typed both Darwin and Aristotle as ESTJs. The Scottish Enlightenment philosopher David Hume was almost certainly an ESFP. On the flip side, I have a new co-worker who is almost certainly an INFJ and she is not at all intellectual.

I cannot stand it when N is equated with intellectualism. Argh.

yeghor

I blame Myers wrongly equating N with intellectualism for this BS, there are plently of S intellectuals. Jung typed both Darwin and Aristotle as ESTJs. The Scottish Enlightenment philosopher David Hume was almost certainly an ESFP. On the flip side, I have a new co-worker who is almost certainly an INFJ and she is not at all intellectual.

The distinctive quality of the intellectual person is that the mental skills, which he or she demonstrates, are not simply intelligent, but even more, they focus on thinking about the abstract, philosophical and esoteric aspects of human inquiry and the value of their thinking.

It's not just Myers apperantly...

yeghor

Either way, what Jung did requires introspection, i.e. ability to gaze upon one's interior...IMO

That is to say someone with a dominant introverted perception function...an IxxJ...

Sent via Tapatalk

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jung always seemed like an Ni-dom to me. Quotes like these -
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being."
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."
"All the works of man have their origin in creative fantasy. What right have we then to depreciate imagination."
"It all depends on how we look at things, and not how they are in themselves."
"When an inner situation is not made conscious, it appears outside as fate."
"We should not pretend to understand the world only by the intellect. The judgement of the intellect is only part of the truth."
"Man's task is to become conscious of the contents that press upward from the unconscious."
"Without this playing with fantasy no creative work has ever yet come to birth. The debt we owe to the play of the imagination is incalculable."
He sounds a lot like someone I know whom I have been suspecting is an INFJ.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Agree with the overall point, but I'm gonna have to go with ENTJ for Hume. ;)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Welcome. Looks like my inflammatory click-bait thread title worked. I kid because I love.

Jung's meticulous and dense description of Ni doms follows.

Focal point for my post:

To summarize, he says Ni-doms normally are not concerned with the moral implications of what they've drawn as a "mystical dreamer and seer," and when they are, they're generally too removed from the reality of the object cognitively to act on this. In other words, the Ni dom may come to understand the deep principles underlying reality but lacks the ability to connect these to real world events or express the importance of this understanding, so cannot act upon these practically. This would be, as far as I'm concerned, an example of how Jung saw Ni doms as the superstitious ones (crying in the wilderness... picture the disheveled guy holding a "the world is ending" sign), though I certainly see similar conclusions about detachment from the object in his text about Si doms. Both Si doms and Ni doms are acting upon an imagined reality due to the introverted attitude of their perception...

Disclaimer: Jung's focus was on the deeply troubled people who he saw in his practice, so his type descriptions are all about people who are varying levels of unhealthy. Still, I agree with Jung's assessment of Ni and Si, and think they are structurally valuable at levels Briggs-Myers' revisions don't address in Gifts Differing.

So, Ni-doms, can you give examples from your experience that reflects or contradicts Jung's analysis? Do you think you see things very deeply, but in ways that feel impossible to express, and maybe make no practical sense once they're out in the open?

No, not really.

Proper development of the auxiliary will largely resolve this.

I mean, can it be difficult to express? Yes.

But not impossible.

And Te is nothing if not practical.

We are blessed with minds that are very polarized.

We have the two most highly subjective functions (Ni and Fi)...

But we also have the most objective functions (Te and Se).

As long as extroversion is developed, we're fine.

Werebudgie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

Though of course not all Ni-doms are Te-aux and Fi-tert, so the "we" doesn't cover all of us.

Not sure what Fe-aux/Ti-tert would mean in relation to the subjective/objective part of the comment.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Though of course not all Ni-doms are Te-aux and Fi-tert, so the "we" doesn't cover all of us.

Not sure what Fe-aux/Ti-tert would mean in relation to the subjective/objective part of the comment.

It means you guys are a bit more detached from reality than us.

:)

Werebudgie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
It means you guys are a bit more detached from reality than us.

:)

Just a bit, huh?

(for some reason, I'm flashing on the scenes from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels where Steve Martin's character is playing "Ruprecht," the insane brother of Michael Caine's character ... us INFJs as Ruprecht and you INTJs as the sane sibling saying things like "Don't make me get the genital cuff!"

eta:

A herd of cattle.

A gaggle of geese.

A plethora of Ni-doms.

An infestation of Ti-doms.

This thread is getting kind of awesome.

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Just a bit, huh?

It wasn't meant to be a nasty statement.

Just trying to lube the suppository a bit before it is inserted.

(for some reason, I'm flashing on the scenes from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels where Steve Martin's character is playing "Ruprecht," the insane brother of Michael Caine's character ... us INFJs as Ruprecht and you INTJs as the sane sibling saying things like "Don't make me get the genital cuff!"

lol

I'll have to rewatch

Haven't seen it in... decades?

Jaguar

for some reason, I'm flashing on the scenes from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels where Steve Martin's character is playing "Ruprecht," the insane brother of Michael Caine's character ... us INFJs as Ruprecht

INFJs are morons that bang on pots with a spoon and urinate on the floor? I'd rethink that if I were you. ;)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJs are morons that bang on pots with a spoon and urinate on the floor? I'd rethink that if I were you. ;)

But the fact remains, that was an awesome movie. :smile:

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wait. What is this thread about? What type was Jung? Everyone is using some hardcore MBTI jargon. I feel like a civilian hanging out on a Warship during a mission.

"Ok Delta Actual, this is Dogfighter II, we have 3 possible AEPs in my sector 7 G. Do you copy?"

"That's affirmative Dogfighter II. 3 Whiskey Tangos in sector 7 G. Hold that, Please advise also possible 3 ATATs en route to Godfather DZ. Jung believed to be MIA on DOT in vectors Q, R, and 7. Possible Ne with Auxilary backup Hellfire missile Extroversion/Introversion Bunker Buster MBTI tactical testing. Over."

"Copy that. Delta Jung Actual."

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Wait. What is this thread about? What type was Jung? Everyone is using some hardcore MBTI jargon. I feel like a civilian hanging out on a Warship during a mission.

"Ok Delta Actual, this is Dogfighter II, we have 3 possible AEPs in my sector 7 G. Do you copy?"

"That's affirmative Dogfighter II. 3 Whiskey Tangos in sector 7 G. Hold that, Please advise also possible 3 ATATs en route to Godfather DZ. Jung believed to be MIA on DOT in vectors Q, R, and 7. Possible Ne with Auxilary backup Hellfire missile Extroversion/Introversion Bunker Buster MBTI tactical testing. Over."

"Copy that. Delta Jung Actual."

:laugh:

You're not so bad.

Werebudgie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
It wasn't meant to be a nasty statement.

I did know that, IME nasty statements generally have a feel to them and it wasn't there.

Just trying to lube the suppository a bit before it is inserted.

Though I must advise you that I am an exit-only type of girl.

lol

I'll have to rewatch

Haven't seen it in... decades?

Oh, some of the Ruprecht scenes are hilarious IMO. The part with the rubber gloves and the dish soap as lube, followed by "No, what else do we do? ... we apologize" had me almost unable to breathe from laughter.

I'm an INFJ and of course I know this. I was just having fun, because:

the fact remains, that was an awesome movie. :smile:

Exactly.

As for some tie-in to the actual thread, um, I don't know, it's probably in there somewhere if someone were to look hard enough. :)