First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin-X View Post
    Just to throw this out there, this is Jung's go-to example of a Ni-dom(and an INTJ at that!):

Introduction to Jungian Psychology, Notes of the Seminar on Analytical Psychology Given in 1925 -- C.G. Jung -- Pg 134-135

This same person came originally came to Jung about a snake in her belly(48m10s to ~54m):

How in the world would you not notice you were living in a BROTHEL???
    Autistic INFP

Contributors will be given free cake...

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post2257858

I want my account deleted
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    if you really want to play, here's what you get.

Ni is like the rosetta stone of the rosetta stones. or, i think it was i who built the tower of babel.
    My (INFP) partner has, more than once, described my approach as being some sort of rosetta stone based on her observation and interactions with me. I haven't consciously understood what she means but it hasn't felt off to me. Could you possibly say more about what that is for you?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I feel like Ni doms and auxs are good at doing math unconsciously and that might be what might make the difference between Ni and Ne. For instance, if someone tells me to add 17 + 28 I immediately have 45 pop into my head without having to do the math consciously. Of course, sometimes the unconscious can be wrong, and that sucks sometimes, but it's fairly efficient.
    Not me. I'm at least as slow if not slower than others with basic math. My Ne-aux (Te-inf) partner, however, is really good with basic math, except when she's tired (she says her math ability is the first thing to go when she is tired). I've tended to assume that there's some connection between basic math and Te. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    Ni was Jung's tertiary function and really only integrated it during his mid-life crisis following his break with Freud. It always came across to him as rather mysterious and magical for that reason. It's insights often struck him in dreams, or when he was, in one example he gives, daydreaming while on a train ride (He had a vision of Europe being literally drowned by a flash-food of blood, a few months later WW1 started).
    How controversial is this typing of Jung, do you know? Meaning, who identified his tert as Ni and is this widely accepted or not? I'm not challenging you, just curious. Associating his Ni development with his break from Freud is interesting. And that example seems very much like Ni to me, the communication of information in metaphorical moving image.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i actually think he seems like an intj. his gestures and facial expressions don't really have the animation of Fe. he doesn't really have a p flavor whatsoever. he certainly doesn't write like a p.

as for this math discussion, Je simply reduces the operations to semantic memorization. that's where the efficiency comes in. that's why we learn times tables. with semantic emergence, process becomes invisible. instead, elements get grouped around scaling structural relevances, as they're aggregated again and again. their relevant size, scale, shape, substance, are a product of how emergent infrastructures transform and move them. in some sense, they're not really telling themselves their own story any more. it's just the basic principle of automation.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Werebudgie View Post
    My (INFP) partner has, more than once, described my approach as being some sort of rosetta stone based on her observation and interactions with me. I haven't consciously understood what she means but it hasn't felt off to me. Could you possibly say more about what that is for you?
    it's just the tendency to step back and back until you reach the god-perspective. let me think about this so i can clean out my response from the weird language systems (burke's terministic screens, heidegger's sense of ereignis, wittgenstein's sense of family resemblance), and just focus on a concrete example.

i think it's basically the reconciliation energy as it operates within a perspective of outsidedness identifying with the purpose of insidedness. it's rooted in identifying with intentionality. so we're constantly trying to make these like nasa calculations to correct error and show the basic infinite sense, beyond relativity, when the lenses and trajectories, the quantum leaps, the language deviations, are accounted for and become part of the essential prism to see into the eternity of a space. to do that, i think, is to truly seen and understand the process for how time is born. even if space is the result of the opposite process. it's like we're simulating backwards in time, to discover the essential origin, the seed. it's kind of like reverse engineering, by using meaning rather than retracing all the paths that were taken (which can't really be done). so we organize the conditions of possibility to make guesses, and build a hypothetical reality to see what happens when we then compare it to the one we live in. i think it's just recognizing how to construct feedback loops that somehow complete the whole circle of understanding, that allow the understandings to be understood as a whole, in whole context as it reveals itself when it is not bound by time and its energy, its movement.

my favorite analogy for this is in the show dr who, when you get to experience the TARDIS.

eta: after realizing that i didn't even touch on the main topic, i just want to say that to understand how to create interstitial connections between languages and meanings is part of how we do this. it's a way of blending layers that have no absolute reality but are themselves patterns too big to trace out experientially. it's based on the essences of things, extracting commonalities and using those as bridges that can in turn hold the dynamics of reality in place for a moment, as they are being processed by you (not absolutely), in order to go deeper into how dependent origination, how a cluster of interacting components might function as a relatively defined whole, that might show a kind of complex coexpression of itself through crucial, key patterns of relationship. i mean, that's what we're talking about, right, trying to recognize the keys? and the scaling of those, which is not simply scaling, but unification in some sense.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    i think it's basically the reconciliation energy as it operates within a perspective of outsidedness identifying with the purpose of insidedness.
    Wow. I understand that as related to my experience/positioning. Scary accurate (in a good way).

it's rooted in identifying with intentionality. so we're constantly trying to make these like nasa calculations to correct error and show the basic infinite sense, beyond relativity, when the lenses and trajectories, the quantum leaps, the language deviations, are accounted for and become part of the essential prism to see into the eternity of a space. to do that, i think, is to truly seen and understand the process for how time is born. even if space is the result of the opposite process. it's like we're simulating backwards in time, to discover the essential origin, the seed. it's kind of like reverse engineering, by using meaning rather than retracing all the paths that were taken (which can't really be done). so we organize the conditions of possibility to make guesses, and build a hypothetical reality to see what happens when we then compare it to the one we live in.
    I didn't really understand that, there's a language disconnect somehow (not something you have to make up for, just observing) - but it also doesn't feel like it's pulling against anything in me.

i think it's just recognizing how to construct feedback loops that somehow complete the whole circle of understanding, that allow the understandings to be understood as a whole, in whole context as it reveals itself when it is not bound by time and its energy, its movement.
    I understand this too, but less consciously than the first quote. Much more by visceral feel on this one, though I have some conscious understanding of "not bound by time" from some previous attempts at consciously understanding the relationship between linear time and my organic perception.

eta: after realizing that i didn't even touch on the main topic, i just want to say that to understand how to create interstitial connections between languages and meanings is part of how we do this. it's a way of blending layers that have no absolute reality but are themselves patterns too big to trace out experientially. it's based on the essences of things, extracting commonalities and using those as bridges that can in turn hold the dynamics of reality in place for a moment, as they are being processed by you (not absolutely), in order to go deeper into how dependent origination, how a cluster of interacting components might function as a relatively defined whole, that might show a kind of complex coexpression of itself through crucial, key patterns of relationship.
    Again, the language disconnect. I don't grasp the above at all. Is this language from postmodern (or other) philosophy?

i mean, that's what we're talking about, right, trying to recognize the keys? and the scaling of those, which is not simply scaling, but unification in some sense.
    Recognizing keys makes sense to me. About scaling - I wonder if what you're saying is related to finding what connects things that are non-identical (context-specific and/or different in scale) but are still connected via (again, non-identical) replicating patterns. Did that make any sense outside my own head?

Also, I wonder if/how this discussion is assisting in dealing with the topic of whether and how Ni-doms are a bunch of crazies or not

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    How in the world would you not notice you were living in a BROTHEL???
    Well that's an example of how disconnected from reality Ni-doms are. It also lends itself to the idea that Ni-doms appear to be "CRAZIES."
    Facetious Frank

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Wow. I understand that as related to my experience/positioning. Scary accurate (in a good way).

I didn't really understand that, there's a language disconnect somehow (not something you have to make up for, just observing) - but it also doesn't feel like it's pulling against anything in me.

Again, the language disconnect. I don't grasp the above at all. Is this language from postmodern (or other) philosophy?
    haha, call me tin cup, because i go for the hole-in-one every time.

more realistically, i understand that metaphysics is not easy to convey, and i think a self-conscious, metaphysical perspective is necessary to situate any discussion of cognitive functions. i think typology itself, broader than personality, is an art of metaphysics. i can't really capture the moving pictures and the holograms that start to come into shape apart from evoking bits and pieces here and there and trying to keep some of the smoke trails, before the thing disappears.

I understand this too, but less consciously than the first quote. Much more by visceral feel on this one, though I have some conscious understanding of "not bound by time" from some previous attempts at consciously understanding the relationship between linear time and my organic perception.
    it's clear that i have a tangled, mass of unarticulated assumptions. if you'd like to have a conversation about them, i can try and would enjoy doing so. but you're right, even i'm self-conscious about spewing too much metaphysics all over this thread.

Recognizing keys makes sense to me. About scaling - I wonder if what you're saying is related to finding what connects things that are non-identical (context-specific and/or different in scale) but are still connected via (again, non-identical) replicating patterns. Did that make any sense outside my own head?
    i see it as the process of bridging uncommon denominators. fractalization is required to stabilize conditions for recognizing meaningful difference more clearly, even if in so doing, we are held accountable to the fact that perspective is bound by time. it's the power of symmetry to provide an axis of quasi-absolute direction in the mind.

there's a book about "conceptual blending" that really goes into what i think you're saying. in cognitive psychology, i ran into the term "feature extraction." to set up a comparison/contrast between things operating at different logical types and to recognize the conditions of possibility that connect them, those metaphysical patterns we are describing, i think is how it works. it's analogical reasoning, or what is called abductive inference. it's a way of guessing what could be termed initial conditions but for our process are more like cosmological ones.

Also, I wonder if/how this discussion is assisting in dealing with the topic of whether and how Ni-doms are a bunch of crazies or not
    our national flag can be an example from the mandelbrot set, alongside which we can rename ourselves, "the cognitive function formerly known as Ni."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

How controversial is this typing of Jung, do you know? Meaning, who identified his tert as Ni and is this widely accepted or not? I'm not challenging you, just curious. Associating his Ni development with his break from Freud is interesting. And that example seems very much like Ni to me, the communication of information in metaphorical moving image.
    Jung's most often typed INTP, INTJ or INFJ. In a 1959 interview, he seemed to suggest that he'd been an NT for at least most of his life. I vote INTJ.

More here.