Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Worldbuilding Mountaintops in Jung's Ni

All Spectra Everywhere Spurs Waterfalling Blizzards!

I want my account deleted
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    I blame Myers wrongly equating N with intellectualism for this BS, there are plently of S intellectuals. Jung typed both Darwin and Aristotle as ESTJs. The Scottish Enlightenment philosopher David Hume was almost certainly an ESFP. On the flip side, I have a new co-worker who is almost certainly an INFJ and she is not at all intellectual.
    I cannot stand it when N is equated with intellectualism. Argh.

I blame Myers wrongly equating N with intellectualism for this BS, there are plently of S intellectuals. Jung typed both Darwin and Aristotle as ESTJs. The Scottish Enlightenment philosopher David Hume was almost certainly an ESFP. On the flip side, I have a new co-worker who is almost certainly an INFJ and she is not at all intellectual.
    The distinctive quality of the intellectual person is that the mental skills, which he or she demonstrates, are not simply intelligent, but even more, they focus on thinking about the abstract, philosophical and esoteric aspects of human inquiry and the value of their thinking.

It's not just Myers apperantly...

Either way, what Jung did requires introspection, i.e. ability to gaze upon one's interior...IMO

That is to say someone with a dominant introverted perception function...an IxxJ...

Sent via Tapatalk

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Odi et Amo View Post
    Jung always seemed like an Ni-dom to me. Quotes like these -
    "Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being."
    "In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."
    "All the works of man have their origin in creative fantasy. What right have we then to depreciate imagination."
    "It all depends on how we look at things, and not how they are in themselves."
    "When an inner situation is not made conscious, it appears outside as fate."
    "We should not pretend to understand the world only by the intellect. The judgement of the intellect is only part of the truth."
    "Man's task is to become conscious of the contents that press upward from the unconscious."
    "Without this playing with fantasy no creative work has ever yet come to birth. The debt we owe to the play of the imagination is incalculable."
    He sounds a lot like someone I know whom I have been suspecting is an INFJ.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Agree with the overall point, but I'm gonna have to go with ENTJ for Hume.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Giant View Post
    Welcome. Looks like my inflammatory click-bait thread title worked. I kid because I love.

Jung's meticulous and dense description of Ni doms follows.

Focal point for my post:

To summarize, he says Ni-doms normally are not concerned with the moral implications of what they've drawn as a "mystical dreamer and seer," and when they are, they're generally too removed from the reality of the object cognitively to act on this. In other words, the Ni dom may come to understand the deep principles underlying reality but lacks the ability to connect these to real world events or express the importance of this understanding, so cannot act upon these practically. This would be, as far as I'm concerned, an example of how Jung saw Ni doms as the superstitious ones (crying in the wilderness... picture the disheveled guy holding a "the world is ending" sign), though I certainly see similar conclusions about detachment from the object in his text about Si doms. Both Si doms and Ni doms are acting upon an imagined reality due to the introverted attitude of their perception...

Disclaimer: Jung's focus was on the deeply troubled people who he saw in his practice, so his type descriptions are all about people who are varying levels of unhealthy. Still, I agree with Jung's assessment of Ni and Si, and think they are structurally valuable at levels Briggs-Myers' revisions don't address in Gifts Differing.

So, Ni-doms, can you give examples from your experience that reflects or contradicts Jung's analysis? Do you think you see things very deeply, but in ways that feel impossible to express, and maybe make no practical sense once they're out in the open?
    No, not really.

Proper development of the auxiliary will largely resolve this.

I mean, can it be difficult to express? Yes.

But not impossible.

And Te is nothing if not practical.

We are blessed with minds that are very polarized.

We have the two most highly subjective functions (Ni and Fi)...

But we also have the most objective functions (Te and Se).

As long as extroversion is developed, we're fine.

I want my account deleted
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Though of course not all Ni-doms are Te-aux and Fi-tert, so the "we" doesn't cover all of us.

Not sure what Fe-aux/Ti-tert would mean in relation to the subjective/objective part of the comment.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Werebudgie View Post
    Though of course not all Ni-doms are Te-aux and Fi-tert, so the "we" doesn't cover all of us.

Not sure what Fe-aux/Ti-tert would mean in relation to the subjective/objective part of the comment.
    It means you guys are a bit more detached from reality than us.

WALMART

The plethora of Ni doms on this site is woeful.