• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

People who keep telling you the same stories and jokes over and over

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
-Hey, do you know that joke about the blonde woman who whatever'
(yeah, you told it like three times already)
-Oh, that sounds fun, tell it. (+1 Fe point added)

Maybe that's just because they tend to have a lot of acquaintances and to be aware of past conversations with numerous people would take too much mental effort... But I suspect some cognitive functions play a role here as well.

Thoughts?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There is a woman who I believe is ENFJ at my work who retells the same stories over and over. I think she is trying to get us to understand her point and change our behavior accordingly - very ENFJ. But of course if I don't agree with her premise, I'm not going to change my behavior to suit it, no matter how many times she conveys her point. It can lead into interesting discussions, though.

I would think that SJ would be related to repetition but IME I haven't experienced much to support that. My ESFJ mom and ISFJ boyfriend will rehash situations that bother them until they've worked through them but I feel like that's a very F thing to do, and I feel like I do that too.

My INTP 5w6 dad can repeat the same logical arguments against things he despises (health insurance policies, politics, safety concerns, etc), and in that I see T/5 anger against illogical systems.

It seems like in general people bring up topics again and again that cause them cognitive dissonance or that really get at their core beliefs/values/theories/thoughts?

I can't relate that to jokes, though. I don't really know anyone who cracks bad jokes repeatedly and am grateful for that ;)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I do it. I can't ever remember who I told what. I know I do it so I don't get huffy if people politely tell me they think I've already told them that.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my dad tells the same antedotes over and over again.

I probably do it, and am not aware of it.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm definitely guilty of this :alttongue: , mostly because I forget that I've said the same thing before.

G

garbage

-Hey, do you know that joke about the blonde woman who whatever'
(yeah, you told it like three times already)
-Oh, that sounds fun, tell it. (+1 Fe point added)
- Yeah, you told it like three times already
Fixed.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reminds me of the chicken salad story Jude Law's character tells in I Heart Huckabees.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*raises hand*

I usually do it coz I don't recall who Ive told which anecdote to. And coz some anecdotes become like familiar and precious trips down memory lane - they're just fun to retell. It's like listening to/telling a classic fairy tale - you all know how it is going to end but it is still fun if only for the nostalgia value of it.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My INTP 5w6 dad can repeat the same logical arguments against things he despises (health insurance policies, politics, safety concerns, etc), and in that I see T/5 anger against illogical systems.
Dammit, I do that too!

Thought I was immune to it...

:overreact:

It seems like in general people bring up topics again and again that cause them cognitive dissonance or that really get at their core beliefs/values/theories/thoughts?
Yep, that makes sense.

f6b0e627139b160bffd66ef3848be2c7.jpg

empertet

MBTI Type
INFJ
My mother does this, she's an ENFJ so I guess it's either what Skylights said or because her iNtroverted Thinking is under-developed so she constantly uses others to form her opinions, Unfortunately she doesn't leave the house since she stopped working and discovered FaceBook, so she's going through a "Parrot(TM)" phase(saying the same things every day and not feeling that she has the right level of input to decide).

But I experience conversational Deja Vu nearly constantly so... :/

By the way: Hi, I'm new :bye:

wolfy

awsm
I do that now and again. I only have a certain amount of material.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My ENFJ mom does this, but it's with different people each time and I just happen to be there. Also she's 2w3, so it could be 3 related. Having stories to tell to impress people and such.

rogue350

It drives me crazy -- crazier than I already am. I am usually very attentive and observant of people and even overhear stories and jokes and then people try and tell me. I can play nice a few times and act interested but I don't want to hear the same bad joke four times. I usually know who I have told what. My problem is: I think of asking or telling someone and then I can't remember whether I did or not? So I will ask, "Hey, did I tell you that... Blah blah blah?" and I think people are honest and tell me whether I told them or not.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an ESFJ friend who does that ALL the time. My INTP mother tends to do that as well.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My Ne doesn't like it, but if it keeps happening I find a way to have fun with it. I worked in the same place with the same people who had the same stories for 15 years. It was like Groundhog Day, I could change my response and see how they react differently. It ends up being kind of awesome.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's innate in us because it's the way our history was handed down before the written word. Repetitive stories are prevalent in the Bible.

Of course, the stories should be valuable in some way, and not just stupid folly that benefits no one. God intended we use this attribute for good, for passing down His everlasting story of deliverance and salvation.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do it either due to memory failure or a new conversation with someone in the group & it feels at least somewhat relevant. It was more prevalent when my life was in a more stagnant point, though. When you're not moving fwd you only have so much to share in terms of insight, jokes, anecdotes.

Some jokes I'll use repeatedly on purpose to be an asshole. It's still funny to me. :happy: