User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: People who keep telling you the same stories and jokes over and over

My mother does this, she's an ENFJ so I guess it's either what Skylights said or because her iNtroverted Thinking is under-developed so she constantly uses others to form her opinions, Unfortunately she doesn't leave the house since she stopped working and discovered FaceBook, so she's going through a "Parrot(TM)" phase(saying the same things every day and not feeling that she has the right level of input to decide).

But I experience conversational Deja Vu nearly constantly so... :/

By the way: Hi, I'm new
    I offer understanding, help and basic human decency, in exchange all I ask is to be accepted.

I do that now and again. I only have a certain amount of material.

7w6 sx/so

My ENFJ mom does this, but it's with different people each time and I just happen to be there. Also she's 2w3, so it could be 3 related. Having stories to tell to impress people and such.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

It drives me crazy -- crazier than I already am. I am usually very attentive and observant of people and even overhear stories and jokes and then people try and tell me. I can play nice a few times and act interested but I don't want to hear the same bad joke four times. I usually know who I have told what. My problem is: I think of asking or telling someone and then I can't remember whether I did or not? So I will ask, "Hey, did I tell you that... Blah blah blah?" and I think people are honest and tell me whether I told them or not.

Senior Member Array autumnandtherain's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx

I have an ESFJ friend who does that ALL the time. My INTP mother tends to do that as well.

4w5 sp/sx

My Ne doesn't like it, but if it keeps happening I find a way to have fun with it. I worked in the same place with the same people who had the same stories for 15 years. It was like Groundhog Day, I could change my response and see how they react differently. It ends up being kind of awesome.

failure to thrive Array AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    451 sx/so
    ENFj Ni

It's innate in us because it's the way our history was handed down before the written word. Repetitive stories are prevalent in the Bible.

Of course, the stories should be valuable in some way, and not just stupid folly that benefits no one. God intended we use this attribute for good, for passing down His everlasting story of deliverance and salvation.
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

Temporal Mechanic. Array Lexicon's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

I do it either due to memory failure or a new conversation with someone in the group & it feels at least somewhat relevant. It was more prevalent when my life was in a more stagnant point, though. When you're not moving fwd you only have so much to share in terms of insight, jokes, anecdotes.

Some jokes I'll use repeatedly on purpose to be an asshole. It's still funny to me.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Some jokes I'll use repeatedly on purpose to be an asshole. It's still funny to me.
    I approve this.

Extroverts. Those damn extroverts.