• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Their own worst enemy.

Which type is most prone to being their own worst enemy?

• INFJ

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • ISFJ

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • INFP

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • ISFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTJ

• ISTJ

• INTP

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • ISTP

• ENFJ

• ESFJ

• ENFP

• ESFP

• ENTJ

• ESTJ

• ENTP

• ESTP

• Total voters

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I know many people can relate to feeling like they're their own worst enemy but which personality type would you say most exemplifies this tendency?

PS Don't just project and pick your own type (unless you truly feel this way from multiple example of your type) as if you're the baseline for it.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really don't think this is type related. Maybe the less balanced someone is, the more this is true.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=1769]Samvega[/MENTION]

That's a good question.

I have an INFP friend who constantly sabotages herself, an ESTP friend who I think actually has a self-destruct mode and when his life is going too well he pushes the button just to make sure he's still alive [my brother does that, too]. I have another friend, who I haven't been able to type yet, that has talent out his ears and is literally brilliant, but he, too, has a self-destruct mode where when life gets too stable, he just doesn't show up for work or goes and lays out all night then everything he's worked to build falls down around his ears and I've got an INTP cousin who is definitely, without a doubt, his own worst enemy, AND I know an ISTJ who's lack of self confidence is crippling...so, maybe it's not type related?

empertet

MBTI Type
INFJ
In my opinion it's INFJ. I often find myself sacrificing my own security and health to satisfy those around me. People don't want me to be physically injured, I'll pretend I'm not, I won't go to the hospital and I'll allow the condition to worsen to avoid criticism. Without direction we pursue jobs that we think we should be able to do because everyone else does it so we must too. I even hid the fact that teachers and students where physically an emotionally harming me for 9 years because I didn't want to make my already stressed ENFJ mother worry.
And I can't talk for others, but I tend to punish myself for things that I have no control over because I know that people think I'm weird- so it must be me.
I mean I'm figuring this stuff out for the first time and I still find it difficult to make decisions I want to make in case it hurts someone.
People can pick on me if they want, I'll just door-slam them. It doesn't phase me any more.
Yet I impulsively hide things I should get help for in case it upsets people. :dry:
I'm probably just crazy though.:D

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's not the type of answer you're looking for but ultimately I think we are all our own worst enemy because the things we fear and detest are generated from within ourselves, even if we project them into the external world.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
ENFJs will cut off their nose to spite their face.
And they're way too hard on themselves (though not as bad as INTJs).

Sunny Ghost

The INFJ's I know seem to self destruct more often than any type I know. I also have the hardest time wrapping my head around why they do this.

Outside of that, Fi types. ENFP's, ISFP's and INFP's. Anyone enneagram 4. And anyone with an out of balance psyche, such as a dom-tert loop.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I put INFP because no one hates INFPs more than themselves. lol.

But secondly, I'd say INTJs, because they often lack the decisiveness or directness of strength to see their fancies through to fruition without having someone else do it.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7

But secondly, I'd say INTJs, because they often lack the decisiveness or directness of strength to see their fancies through to fruition without having someone else do it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This sounds more like INTPs. We are more likely to force implementation of our "fancy", regardless of its merit or the consequences, at least if we don't engage our other functions (and other people's views) sufficiently.

R

Riva

Self sabotage when feeling down or when life is good? I really don't think i have observed any rl examples for the latter though i will readily name quite a few for the former including myself.

Half the time i don't know whether you are joking or not.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's an INFX race. The two have lapped their competitors...

W

WhoCares

The better question would have been whats the self destruct mechanism if each type. We all have our falling over moments but its the particular manner of it which defines us.

Solar Plexus

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I voted INFP because it seems that each preference is directed inward moreso than its opposing dichotomy. Not surprisingly, INFPs are reportedly more likely to attempt/commit suicide in college. An unhealthy INFP is like a vacuum of negative energy sucking itself into oblivion. Introversion is more self-oriented than extroversion. Intuition often dwells in the past (reflecting on failures and shortcomings, when unhealthy) and the future (which looks bleak when being analyzed through a cynical lense), which has been linked to both anxiety and depression, rather than living in the moment. Feeling is more subjective and personal than thinking. And perceiving is constantly taking in information, analyzing, questioning, doubting, and delaying conclusions; whereas, judging is more certain, decisive and perhaps confident. INFPs might be cursed with being the most self-centered of all types, not necessarily self-serving, but focused inwardly to such a degree that it may lead to a number of neuroses if not dealt with appropriately.

A healthy INFP, on the other hand, is just peachy. :)