• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do you or do you not put your MBTI type on your TypoC profile?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I like it when people list their MBTI type on their profile. It helps me better understand where they're coming from when they post. In fact, I wouldn't mind if TypoC required all members to list their type.

Nonetheless, I've noticed a lot of people on this forum leave off their MBTI type entirely.

Why do you or do you not put your MBTI type on your TypoC profile? What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
:shrug: It had a box for it... It's a forum based on personality inventories, seemed logical to provide it in my profile.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i put mine because i remember when i first joined and was learning about types that it helped me get a sense of the different vibes of the different types. it was cool to realize that i could "read" the persons type by their phrasing n stuff.

i think it's helpful and i'm nothing if not helpful. :cheese:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I figure the spaces to list type are for identifying oneself to others if one chooses to do so... which can be a convenience both to oneself and others or a detriment both to oneself and others, depending on its accuracy...

I do appreciate when others include some descriptors, because it's inherently interesting to me, but I don't mind if it's not the standard all-caps 4-letter MBTI code... settling on one's type identification can be a process and, after all, it is ultimately theory, and not something that will ever fit perfectly. What if one feels much more in tune with their enneatype than MBTI type? I would rather let each person attempt to illustrate themself with some loose guidelines than force a strict standard.

My own current labels are based on what I perceive to be most accurate for myself.

Last edited:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i put mine because i remember when i first joined and was learning about types that it helped me get a sense of the different vibes of the different types. it was cool to realize that i could "read" the persons type by their phrasing n stuff.

Same here. Even considering that many were wrong, people displaying their types was one of the major perks of this forum when I first joined. It's kind of a shame that most of the types people display these days are dirty, dirty lies.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've listed it on and off, off because of the potential for stereotyping and stuff. (Now I don't care. It's an internet forum.) I agree with you, and it also helps me better understand the types.

wolfy

awsm
I have taken it on and off. When I was unsure and stuff. I also had it listed as awsm for a bit. It is better in some ways for people to take you at face value.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes in the past I would leave it off until a bunch of people started bashing INFJs, and then I decided to keep it there out of spite.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't use people's listed types to judge them or discredit anything they may say, it helps me get an overall sense of the similarities and differences of people with the same type. Very often someone will have the same type as me and share a point of view or experience that I really relate to.

I have mine listed because its a typology forum and anybody who's going to negatively judge me based on a bunch of arbitrary letters and numbers isn't someone whose opinion I value very much anyway.

I have considered changing my listed type to something else as a social experiment though :devil:

W

WhoCares

I love having everything I say filtered through the lens of INTJ-arseholery + type 5w6 paranoia, so that others miss my meaning completely. It makes me feel like I am interacting normally. :newwink:

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It invites nonverbal and occasionally direct feedback.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
Well, I am not sure of my MBTI type. I do like it when people post their types; it makes sense to post it if you know it. For me, I guess I could put at least something down... even if it isn't a standard MBTI type because I do have a vagueish idea, but I am too lazy to do that and if you really need to know what angle I may be coming at, MBTI-wise, you can send me a rep or something.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like it when people list their MBTI type on their profile. It helps me better understand where they're coming from when they post. In fact, I wouldn't mind if TypoC required all members to list their type.

Nonetheless, I've noticed a lot of people on this forum leave off their MBTI type entirely.

Why do you or do you not put your MBTI type on your TypoC profile? What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this?

I will after I determine dominant function.

I do think it's nice to have it there and see it for other people.

MacabreCharade

The identified often leaves a creature comfortable. This partially does a disservice to the theory, given its nature.

Although, as this site is one of its 'homes', the provision of such features just 'comes with the territory'.

It also creates the potential for 'the norm', though. Whichever side overshadows, the natural reaction to deviation would be a fensive one.

Standuble

I can't really be bothered and don't really feel the need to wear them like a badge. When I was on PerC I did the same though it was out of a desire to avoid suffering typism - people would approach the post via it's content and not by the type of the poster.

Starry

Same here. Even considering that many were wrong, people displaying their types was one of the major perks of this forum when I first joined. It's kind of a shame that most of the types people display these days are dirty, dirty lies.

I'm going to temp change mine special like...for [MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION]
but the reasons you list are why I keep my own type listed. I appreciated those that displayed their type when I first arrived and imagine it being helpful to individuals new to typology and/or this site.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Because I think random strangers on the internet actually care about me.

G

garbage

I list it when I feel like it, which isn't all the time.

It's much, much less representative of me than my Enneagram type, which I do list. In fact, in looking back at my old "type me" threads, overall member consensus about my MBTI type has changed several times. I tend to believe that a listed MBTI type would actually misrepresent me.

Moreover, if the forum had a mindset of "Oh hey, this person proves that ISTJs can think out of the box" rather than "Pff, you only believe this because of your SiTe fixation" I'd be all for it--as it'd help us all out in actually understanding typology.

In short, it's a model that doesn't fit me well enough for me to bother--just as the Enneagram or astrology or Favorite Mane Six or whatever doesn't fit others.

edit: This discussion spurred me to list a thing. A very vague thing, but still a thing.