First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    Obnoxious as it sounds, I feel like I've won the typological lottery a lot of the time. I wouldn't choose to be anything other than who I am. Displaying my type feels oddly ostentatious. Like a Harvard grad who feels the need to drop the H-bomb five seconds into meeting them.
    This is funny to me. I looked at Harvard when applying to colleges and remember one of the downsides mentioned was that while it is a beautiful and prestigious college replete with competence, opportunity, and resources, it also often hosts a highly competitive atmosphere with many success-driven students, and because of the graduate focus, undergrads can miss out on warm personalized faculty attention unless they really, really push for it. Granted, I did not go Harvard - I didn't even end up visiting it - and do not know the truth of its situation, but that informational bit strikes me a lot like how I feel like being an ENTJ would be. Different priorities are more important to me and I have a different sort of perspective so hearing that you feel like you're "winning" is sort of amusingly out in left field for me. I'm genuinely glad that you like being your type, though.

At the same time, I feel that there's a lot of pressure to "act out" one's type when it is displayed prominently. Like, I feel less able to be myself and more conscious of a certain stereotype. It seems unbalanced after a certain point.
    I feel almost the opposite, like when I have my full type displayed I feel like I have to make it clear how I deviate so I'm not assumed to be the "standard model" when that assumption might undermine the point I'm trying to convey. In my case e6 really messes with J/P on the MBTI.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Different priorities are more important to me and I have a different sort of perspective so hearing that you feel like you're "winning" is sort of amusingly out in left field for me. I'm genuinely glad that you like being your type, though.
    I feel the same way, about "winning the type lottery", but then I would hope everyone does. To me, it's about being comfortable and happy with who you are, not thinking you or your type is better than anyone else.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    Did what...?
    Sorry. I fell asleep.

But yeah I mean that your reason is because it would be like bragging?? that's hilarious to me that you actually feel that way.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I feel the same way, about "winning the type lottery", but then I would hope everyone does. To me, it's about being comfortable and happy with who you are, not thinking you or your type is better than anyone else.
    This. Exactly this. Though it is funny to me to see how readily self-confidence can be misconstrued as something negative.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I tend to believe that a listed MBTI type would actually misrepresent me.
    Ditto.

That some believe one method of categorizing people should work well for all, tells me more about how they think than any MBTI type they could put in their profile.

A definition of typology: A system used for putting things into groups according to how they are similar.
    The MBTI is one way to categorize people; it's not the only way.

I started two threads on Harrison-Bramson Thinking Styles, years ago. Their method of categorization worked well for me.
    If you're interested, read the book: The Art of Thinking by Allen F. Harrison and Robert M. Branson.

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    For me, it's like putting my name on my office door. If I take it down, I don't stop being me, I just get more questions.
    This is true for everybody, especially if you are of the opinion type theory carries any weight. You are who you are after all. And if you don't think type theory carries any weight, why in god's name would you register at a forum about typology (except maybe for a brief rant about how you think it is invalid)?

It seems only rational to display a type indicator here. So I would expect all the NT rationals to do so. True to type, I would expect some other types not to.

In order to nip contrary examples in the bud, I know there are some exceptions to the NT rule. I've never quite been able to figure those NT's out (assuming they have accurately self typed). I figure it's either special snowflake syndrome ("don't box me in") or just plain contrariness ("you can't force me to conform to your rules"). INTP's are especially prone to these attitudes (again, true to type I might add).

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

i post mine to help myself and others understand types. nothing about displaying it makes me feel bound to any pattern of behavior or afraid of being judged. if someone's gonna judge me for my type, that's their problem. this is a typology forum, after all.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Moreover, if the forum had a mindset of "Oh hey, this person proves that ISTJs can think out of the box" rather than "Pff, you only believe this because of your SiTe fixation" I'd be all for it--as it'd help us all out in actually understanding typology.
    Or (arguably) worse and far more common, "you don't fit my (narrow) view of what type X is...you are clearly delusional and mistyping yourself!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    For my entire forum career, I've been the only consistently posting ESTJ. And for just as long, I've been told I'm "atypical" because I'm fairly healthy and well-adjusted. To be honest, I joined to prove a point, and I've been proving that point ever since.

So, personal relationships and fun intellectual discussion aside, my presence here wouldn't have much purpose if I didn't list my type.
    +1, to a lesser degree (I know there are a few more ISTPs around now, although not many/any? others still around who've been consistently here since the start).

Also I joined to talk about typology, and although I don't think as highly of the system anymore, I do think it has some utility for people who are looking to understand various types, so I guess I leave my label on for that purpose. I like it when other people list their types. It helps broaden my impression of each type, which I think is a good thing.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    FiTe
    Enneagram
    YwX sx/sp

I dont really want other to judge me by some silly letters and numbers without knowing me.

Also, I am not really 100% sure of my MBTI or enneagram, for different reasons.
    I'm a green bean killing machine.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I keep it there to see how they react and how they apply prejudice automatically towards me. It's funny to see how they automatically, either attack, or be drawn towards me, or run for their life. I'm relaxed about it, either way. Oh an mostly because I'm all about openness and relaxedness. Sharing of information is 2nd nature for me. (obviously within bounds) It reveals their hidden intent towards me, if I keep it there. People are funny creatures and it stimulates discussion about stereo types. I think it is a great benefit for everyone. I think it is necessary, like for a beginner, the end user should have the choice if they can see it or not, not me keeping it from them. New option for forum