User Tag List

First 23456 Last

What you might call helping "better understand where people are coming from" I call jumping to conclusions and stereotyping.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I don't see how.
    It's a special decoder ring identifier used to read a label, uhh, but only works if looking through a skylight when trying to find the four letter code.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    Obnoxious as it sounds, I feel like I've won the typological lottery a lot of the time. I wouldn't choose to be anything other than who I am. Displaying my type feels oddly ostentatious. Like a Harvard grad who feels the need to drop the H-bomb five seconds into meeting them.

At the same time, I feel that there's a lot of pressure to "act out" one's type when it is displayed prominently. Like, I feel less able to be myself and more conscious of a certain stereotype. It seems unbalanced after a certain point.
    Did this just happen
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i put mine because i remember when i first joined and was learning about types that it helped me get a sense of the different vibes of the different types. it was cool to realize that i could "read" the persons type by their phrasing n stuff.

i think it's helpful and i'm nothing if not helpful.
    this

At times I've left it blank or put something silly because I wasn't sure what it was or thought that my opinion of what it was bothered some people.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Did this just happen
    Did what...?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Did this just happen
    Yea. Seriously. Like if that pilot 'Sully' were to say he were a hero when asked (for landing the plane in the Hudson river saving everbody's life) then he wouldn't be considered one!?

The guy landed a jumbo fucking jet in a river, and it was full of people, who he saved all of their lives!! Yes, fuck yes, he can say he is a hero. Just have honesty is all.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Obnoxious as it sounds, I feel like I've won the typological lottery a lot of the time. I wouldn't choose to be anything other than who I am. Displaying my type feels oddly ostentatious. Like a Harvard grad who feels the need to drop the H-bomb five seconds into meeting them.

At the same time, I feel that there's a lot of pressure to "act out" one's type when it is displayed prominently. Like, I feel less able to be myself and more conscious of a certain stereotype. It seems unbalanced after a certain point.
    Great explanation for it

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I don't see how.
    Because of the pitfalls of starting to attribute too much to type, and allowing a person's type precedence over their communication. Take away listed type, or parts thereof, and you've lost a shortcut around their point of view. The reader is more likely to slog through analyzing the information and how it relates to the poster's personality instead of attributing to the label and calling it a day.

Given that this is a type forum, I enjoy seeing people's listed types, and like to think it lets me understand them better. But I think it's valuable, too, to have deviations from the theory.

My main point being that I like allowing variation. To me it is more valuable to see "ixTj, ENFP, iSFP, ntj" than to see "ISTJ, ENFP, ISFP, ENTJ". The first grouping tells me more and makes me think more. The second grouping is more helpful to a newcomer, but there are plenty of resources for newcomers.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    This too. I feel the need to prove that not all SJs float through life blindly following social norms and obnoxiously trying to force everyone else to do the same. Since apparently that is a commonly held belief around here.
    But that is the sense type's forte - to float. It is what is principally wrong with humanity - everyone's lookin' for ground.

To the sky, I say!

I stopped displaying my type when I stopped personally relating to one piece of type theory and began identifying with the whole.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

My old supervisor had a friend like this. He would sometimes time him to see how quickly he revealed this to a new acquaintance.

For me, it's like putting my name on my office door. If I take it down, I don't stop being me, I just get more questions.
    Last edited by Coriolis; 12-06-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...